Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astronomy Ireland exhibition : Rubbish?

Options
  • 15-11-2003 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I heard on the radio this morning that Astronomy Ireland were presenting Irelands biggest ever astronomy and telescope exhibition, so off i went.

Man, was i pissed off when i came out.

€3 each for myself an my girlfriend in the door.
    That would be fine normally.
    Went downstairs and its in a little hall, There are 6 telescopes, of which only 3 have prices, way over priced too.

3 crappy satelite models and loads of stalls of people selling Astronomy books and posters for at least twice the price you can get them in the shops for.
    I also saw a foam rocket set for €40 for kids.
    I bought one for my nephew last week in Easons for €15 and its exactly the same.

All in all spent 5 minutes, went around the whole thing twice and came out feeling severely conned.

Anyone else go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally said by A&S
    Astronomy Ireland ... presenting Irelands biggest ever astronomy and telescope exhibition
    yea yea yea yea sure sure.... :-)
    Originally posted by DaithiSurfer Anyone else go?

No, having much more fun at an IFAS workshop in Athlone IT on image processing with Mike Ulnsold (www.mlunsold.com). Cost more than 3 eur, but well worth it to see how to to do proper astronomical image processing.

Never did like corporate expos much ;-)

I'll post info on the Galway starparty later.

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    www.irishastronomy.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    there are 6 telescopes, of which only 3 have prices, way over priced too.

Btw, a price review of telescope prices here and in the UK was done recently for Celestron scopes and is available at www.irishastronomy.COM (thats .com not the .org IFAS site!). They are currently researching a similar survey for Meade, Helios, Intes etc. etc.

Cheers,
    ~Al

p.s. I think this site was originally posted by Agar but the thread was junked.

Advertisement