Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC shutting down Strange Problem

• 15-11-2003 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Strange problem with my Computer, for no reason it will shut down can happen at any time and while doing anything
    system is P4 , W2k sp4, Asus M/board, GF4 Ti4800 , Audigy sound, Its a Mini tower case and the funny thing is it never seems to happen if I place the case on its side ( I Jest not) its been on its side for the last 5hrs and the problem has not occured, however when i place it upright its shut down after about 15mins very strange , maybe a dogey PSU but any help Suggestions, appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Heat related I'd say .... do you have enough fans? ... an easy way to figure it out is to get mother board monitor (freeware, search google for it) and set it up so it shows the cpu temp and case/motherboard temp .... if they go up a lot thats your problem ... check that the fan blowing on your cpu is still running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

Sounds like the system is overheating (possibly leaving it on its side improves the air- flow strange though!)Have u got any temperature monitoring software? if not try Speedfan its a good program for checking cpu ,HD,and system temperatures or else u could check the Bios maybe theres temperature readings in there!

Also open up the case if ur able and clean out any dust that has gathered ,an air duster can would be ideal!

Hopefully that helps!
    Gluck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭mobby

Installed some software that came with the ASUS board called PC Probe
    CPU temp went from 35c/95f to 51c/123f when I moved the case from on its side to upright, happened almost immediately soon as I place the case on its side it moved back down again , the CPU fan is working and inside of case is clean, I will try a new CPU Fan next week

Thanks to Kavs and BigEejit for pointing me in right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

if your CPU fan is running ok there is no need to replace it .... just get a fan to blow air into the case and another one to suck air out ...(ideally they should blow and suck air accross the CPU, but that isnt always possible..) ..

Hitide have Papst fans that are very quiet for approx €15, the downside is that they dont shift a lot of air .. Elara stock Sharkoon fans that are variable speed/airflow/noise (PS the fans dont come with a grill to cover the fan, which is useful if you had to cut a hole in the case yourself)

If you are cutting holes yourself make sure you empty all components out of the case, including the powersupply ... its a pain in the ass, but if one tiny bit shorted something out you would never find it and it could cause permanent damage

Advertisement