Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We want wireless, we want wireless, we..... etc etc

Options
  • 15-11-2003 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

For Gawds sake, will ye not make a Wireless forum on its own. Sticking it in with mobiles is not working, a lot of wireless related posts are going into nets comms and technology. Probably because the posters are afraid that their post will disappear off the page in a few minutes with all the fanbois going on about the latest geegaw and whinges about vodafone etc etc ....

To top it all there have been several petitions for name changes and new forum(s) recently .. its obvious that it needs its own space. Besides, wireless is becoming more and more popular due to price drops and its being built into stuff all over ... could be that soon you'd have the mobile fanbois coming here to the feedback forum looking for their own mobile forum because the wireless heads have taken over .....

*sob* Think of the children!, is anyone thinking of the children??*sob* .... well, the ones with wireless configuration issues or tips for improving coverage anyway
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I have noticed that posts to the Wireless / Mobile seem to be falling into two camps. The majority are related to mobiles/gadgets - everything from ringtones and operator settings and general moans about operators. The latter, and far less common, are more technical, from setting up a WAN, through to SMS or J2ME development and the like. Because of the popularity of the former, many of the latter threads have ended up on everything from the Programming to the Nets / Comms boards.

So might I suggest a Wireless / Technical be created for this purpose?

I don’t have a problem with modding both - posters presently on Wireless / Mobile are well behaved, unlike some other boards I could mention :rolleyes:

However, I would add that for a mobiles/gadgets specific board I would also recommend DubWireless as a mod, if he is willing to do so.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yeah sounds like an area we need to rethink a bit.
    Good ideas.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

good ideas lads,

2nd Dubwireless for a mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

And I third it :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AGREE

Before anyone says www.irishwan.org
    It can't cover all aspects of wireless data,

eg: peer to peer mode ain't much use for a WAN , and while lots of help will be given to those trying to link to the WAN ,
    boards would be a better place for the usual "how do I get my windows XP box to talk to 98 using WiFi" asked by people who have no intention of using or contributing to the WAN.

BTW: at this stage 95% of high end notebooks come with WiFi so you can't ignore it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I've gone and created a Mobiles forum - Cor/bkehoe, please move any unwanted threads in there... DubWireless appointed (as long as DW is happy) as moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Cloud
    I've gone and created a Mobiles forum - Cor/bkehoe, please move any unwanted threads in there... DubWireless appointed (as long as DW is happy) as moderator.
    No problem, as long as you give me Mass move/prune rights on Wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

And the right to move the 'Operator Settings' and 'Faqs and Links' stickys over to the new forum...... a rewrite of the 'What's this board about?' sticky wouldnt go astray either..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BigEejit
    And the right to move the 'Operator Settings' and 'Faqs and Links' stickys over to the new forum...... a rewrite of the 'What's this board about?' sticky wouldnt go astray either..... :p
    Just "copy" them across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Cloud
    DubWireless appointed (as long as DW is happy) as moderator.

sure - no worries for the time being... a second Mod would be great though...

might be good to include PDAs too if there's no objections? - not sure where they are taken care of at the mo but have gone thru' a fair few threads in Sci/Tech|Wireless and some on Sci/Tech|Tech

BrianG

• Advertisement

here's a draft 'about' if The Corinthian / bkehoe and the "uber" Mods add/delete/modify as they see fit... especially any legal stuff...
    Mobiles a place to ask questions, share informaiton and help out on matters related to mobile:
    • handsets (news, configurations, recommendations, tips)
    • connectivity (GSM, HSCSD, GPRS, Bluetooth, Infrared)
    • content (ringtones, games, graphics, applications) i]no illegal sharing/linking[/i

more technical related topics such as development (e.g. WAP, J2ME) or solutions / infrastructure (e.g. SMS, Networks) would be best posted to the Wireless board, where other topics are also covered such as wireless networking, protocols, standards etc...

thanks, BrianG

ok - no news is good news :)

so in goes that as the basis for the forum 'about'...

Cloud is it possible to lump PDAs in with the Mobiles forum (to create Mobiles / PDAs)?

thanks,
    BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Sure thing.

Advertisement