Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Endurance sports and weight

• 15-11-2003 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

*Touch wood* my injury will very soon be gone(well gone enough to start training again) and I'll get back into the swing of training again. But I'm a bit worried about something. The last time I was training - running 40 miles a week and cycling 50 - I kept losing weight. Obviously I was watching what I was eating but not the quantities just the quality. This time I am going to build my training back up to about 50 miles running, 150 miles cycling and and a few swimming sessions(about two) a week. This will be alot of exercise(for me) and I'm worried about losing too much weight. Flicking through magazines about endurance sports and the like I can't help but notice that the lads are skinny f*&king yokes. So my question is how can I maintain a decent weight when I get back into full swing?(mind you I won't be in full swing till Feb/March going to adhere to the 10% rule this time) I've a full time job so given my above goals for training I can't really fit in gym sessions 4 days a week as well. And even if I did go to the gym that would just increase the amount of calories I burn when exercising aerobically so what do I do? Eat more? Help please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Injured unfortunately - ITB syndrome. Could have done a run -walk approach but that would have given me a crap time and just proved as a demotavtional(you know what I mean) experience. Initally I had decided to target Connemara or Barcelon in Feb/March but then I decided to give the long distance running a brake for a while and keep it to under half marathon distances for races for a while. I must update that website! :)

As for the weight I have pretty much accepted that I will be a skinny f*&k - for once in my life. But there is nothing that I can do I suppose in reality. I suppose a bit of weights here and there on the upper body might help to keep my size up a bit but on the plus point any muscle gained will defo not be hidden behind fat!!

What is a "healthy" weight for a 5 foot 11 male(24 years old)? What is too light? What body fat percentage is worringly low?

Took the hint and updated my site dave! Going to leave it a bit before I put anything about triathlons up there. Went out for my first long(ish) cycle this morning - 34 miles in 2 hours. Not a great average speed but its something to improve on. After it I'm seriously beginning to doubt when someone who has done an Ironman is human!!!

Might do that myself, would be nice to get out of Dublin for a race or two. Although I think the Mens 10k ( I HATE calling them mini-marathons) is on around then and I want to beat my time from last year in that! Anyone know when that is on? Actually looking back on last years event I don't think I will do it. 20 euro, goody bag was crap, no t-shirt, start line moved with 20 minutes to go and nobody told anyone, it was an organisational joke now that I think about it! BallyCotton here we come!!! Now all I have to do is ask the girlfriend does she want a romantic weekend away in cork and conviently "forget" to mention the race!

• Advertisement

Advertisement