Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Users check this out!

Options
  • 15-11-2003 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭

This is a great idea. Its a super patch of windows updates plus lots more.

Its includes all the security fixes and updates since SP1 was released.

Check it out. i have just installed it works fine and seems to have speeded up my computer a little.

Its a hefty download at 138MB but you need to download that once , then all you need to do is download the smaller update each month.

Very handy.

Here is the link www.autopatcher.com

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd still trust M$ http:\\windowsupdate.microsoft.com above getting the patchs from a third party via bitstorm...

Note the 138 incluces all patches whether aplicable to your machine or not and does NOT include Sevice Pack 1

Pity the Reg Tweaks aren't separate
    (can you tune them or are you relying on someone elses tweaks - eg: If there is an option for classic then I use it)

anyway's here's their forum
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i rather trust microsoft atm till the viruses die down if ever

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I downloaded it for a look, and basically, they've thrown all listed patches/.reg files into a folder. In a parent folder they have a series of .bat files, and in that parent folder that have an autorun.inf and a .exe file.

Now, the idea is that you run the .exe, choose your options, and tell it to install them (via a series of checkboxes). This is great, except it hasn't run for me sucessfully on a single PC - I always get a runtime error just as it tries to start patching.

The .exe seems to just execute the .bat files I mentioned earlier, and so, any that were started before the .exe crashed run to completion.

You can always install them manually via the .bat files. For those patches I've saved to CD-rom prior to this, they are an exact match for the ones contained in autopatcher, so worst case it was just a handy way for me to download all the patches and I'll write a small installer app myself later.

Summary:
    1) .exe file crashes on me (several PCs)
    2) .bat files allow you to install everything manually (1 .bat / fix)
    3) you dont have to install everything, you can select individual patches
    4) you can customise the reg tweaks (as they are stored as .reg files)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

haven't tried it but i think its a great idea (once they fig the bugs and stuff that mixie reported),

you can burn it to cd and all those people on dialup can install bug fixes,

till the viruses die down if ever

off topic, but wtf?
    i used to think viruses were kinda cool (i also though cool was a trendy word) espicially the way the makers thought of so much to make the spread, but nowadays i can't use outlook express to check my mail, as it will take an hour a day to download my 100 copies of swen, that those nice idiots send me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

This looks sweet alright, usually when I install XP I have to spend a good 40 mins windowsupdating it, now alls I have to do is run this baby, then a windowsupdate (which will have only a few updates left) and that should save loads of time.

nice one :D

denis

• Advertisement
Advertisement