Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Chinese Population

Options
  • 15-11-2003 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Despite having spent a while in China I have trouble telling the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin speakers.

Where are the majority of Dublins Chinese from?

tribble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'd think it's mostly Cantonese for some reason or other, but Mandarin Chinese people are slowly rising in population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 X4

it's difficult to tell the difference by their lookings.

the most of chinese in Dulbin come from north china where their

native tongue would be Mandarin.

long-term Chinese settlers here, i would say, mostly they

came from HongKong with Cantonese.

however, Cantonese is the 3rd mostly spoken language in China.

there's an online Chinese telly channel(in English) here which you

might find it handy so long as you have broadband internet!

http://www.wcetv.com/new/Viewing_area/live/asx/cctv9_live300.asx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by X4
    there's an online Chinese telly channel(in English) here which you

might find it handy so long as you have broadband internet!

http://www.wcetv.com/new/Viewing_area/live/asx/cctv9_live300.asx

It's also on Sky Digital - channel 534, and as far as I know it's free to air (no sub needed).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whykay

tribble wrote:
    Despite having spent a while in China I have trouble telling the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin speakers.

Where are the majority of Dublins Chinese from?

tribble
    The local Chinese community would be mainly Cantonese speakers (and Hakka speakers), originating from Hong Kong. They are normally the owners of older restaurants and takeaways you find dotted all around the main Irish cities.
    Back to Dublin... I found that Cantonese speakers tend to be on the southside of the city, as many of the local Chinese community have their shops open around Drury/Wickow/Georges St area back in the 80s or so.
    Mandarin speakers are mainly Chinese students who come here to study, and you can find them working as part-timers everywhere, cafes, fastfood establishments, retail shops etc. But Mandarin is quickly overtaking Cantonese becuase of the influx of Mainland Chinese people.
    I can actually spot the differences between a Mainlander and a Hong Kongese by combination of how they look, dress and act in public.
    The shops around Moore St are definately Mandarin speaking Chinese.

/// Vicky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zoalord

Being an Irish born Chinese (of HK parents), I've noticed differences between Cantonese speaking HK population & Mandarin speaking PRC population. Although I don't like sterotyping people, there are certain things that tend to distinguish them. It's not my intention to cause offence, but is only my own opinion of these sterotypes based on my own observations and experiences. So other views are most welcome.

HK Chinese (Cantonese)
    Usually well dressed, into designer labels & latest gadgetry bought in either HK (during holidays) or Ireland. the young are big fans of modified car culture & where possible pimp their rides, either because they're working or have wealthy parents. Most of their parents are in some way involved in the Chinese restaurant business. The younger generation are not inclined to smoke, but some of the older generation do. Those who grew up in Ireland are usually college grads (free education + expectation from parents) so they are no longer involved in the restaurant business. They don't spit as this is frowned upon in HK years ago & recently even more so to prevent the spread of SARS. Due that the fact that most kids' parents are in the restaurant business with long unsocialable hours, the kids grow up with little time spent with their parents & this has inevitable effects on society (e.g. some don't even speak Cantonese, some are spoilt due to parent's guilty feelings of neglect, some find love/attention in Chinese Christian churches)

PRC Chinese (Mandarin)
    Some are well dressed (elite generation of rich in China), but many do not have the means and clothes are bought in China. Of the ones that do drive, they have L plates (PRC Chinese only came to Ireland in large numbers in 2000, so many still do not have licences yet) & usually drive second-hand economy cars. They work mostly in retail & catering jobs. Both young and old usually smoke as Chinese brands are very cheap in China. The middle aged groups tend to look wrinkle and tanned, usually from harsh farming backgrounds. Both young & old tend to squat at queues I'm afraid to say, like bus stops etc. They tend to spit in public & to talk very loud (note: that this is a sterotype & there are some that don't). Due to the 1 child policy in China, it's had a 'selfish' effect on society, with kids growing up without the need to share with other siblings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

You say you don't mean to stereotype but thats exactly what you're doing. Most mainlanders in ireland smoke? none of the one's i know smoke. squat at queues?
    So we're talking about mainlanders that are in ireland right? so you won't find many who are middle-aged and from a farming background, never mind wrinkled and tanned....

Advertisement