Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo or Rooney?

• 15-11-2003 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Who do ye think is better,Ronaldo or Rooney?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

Rooney is better now but ronaldo will be better in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rooney. I'm still not hugely impressed by Ronaldo and were it not for his huge fee and the club he signed for, I don't think he'd be recieving any attention at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ronaldo certainly offers alot of potential and as he matures, no doubt he will be a quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Brian O'Leary

Ah now,the United players were urging Alex to buy Ronaldo.The last time that happened United bought the king Cantona.Hopefuly he'll turn out to be just as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Brian O'Leary
    Ah now,the United players were urging Alex to buy Ronaldo.The last time that happened United bought the king Cantona.Hopefuly he'll turn out to be just as good.

Well considering 80% of squad is different, poinltess saying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

There is something about Rooney’s appearance that prevents me from liking him as a footballer. So I guess I'd have to say Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Rooney...

Ronaldo is too much leg over, leg over... run leg over, leg over... leg over, leg over... run leg over, leg over... leg over, leg over... run leg over, leg over... leg over, leg over... run leg over, leg over... leg over, leg over... run leg over, leg over... leg over, leg over... run leg over, leg over... :rolleyes: <wheres neil ruddock when you need him >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    There is something about Rooney’s appearance that prevents me from liking him as a footballer.
    Shrek! If only Rooney was scottish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Personally they are both a bit overhyped but i guess i'd have to say Ronaldo is right now (and will always be) better

Rooney has totally bought into his own hype and he is playing ****.Started living the extravagant lifestyle - he's heading for a big big fall imo.So he scored a wonder goal once so what?Granted he was the youngest player ever to score at the time but since then the records been beated (twice) - but you don't see a media circus around Milner do you?He'd going about his career the right way and might actually make something of himself.Rooney on the other hand shot to the top and now isn't producing the goods to justify it.He's like the of some reality tv pop show - first two singles go straight to number one but once the gloss wears off they bomb.How he has a pretty much permanent place in the English side is beyond me,actually its not - its Sven being the media's bitch.There are plenty of other players who deserve an international place way more then him in every area (skill,commitment,goalscoring etc) - i mean when Alan Smith and Jermaine Defoe get routinely snubbed while useless ****s like Rooney and Heskey is pathetic.TBH i don't even know if i'd start him for Ireland ffs.And dont even get me started on Jeffers.....

Ronaldo on the other hand if you can ignore his step over fetish isnt all that bad.Great crosser,just needs to start doing more then trying to get fouled - but i guess you can teach him that.Cost way way too much.It was a total panic buy by Fergie after missing out on Ronaldinho.Didnt he say that they wouldnt rush out and but anyone too quickly and then a week later they pay 12m for Ronanldo?What i'm saying it does anyone really think he would be playing for Man U if they had gotten Ronaldinho?Course not.And this week they said they didnt compete with Chelsea for Duff becuase they didn't think he was worth that much?Seems pretty stupid when they pay the majority of Duff's price tag on someone who has 1 goal,1 assist and has been playing ok when they could have bought someone with 2 goals,around 6 (i think) assists and who has been totally justifiying his fee - especially in Europe where Fergie is oh so desperate to suceed - anyone else get the feeling he is a bit pissed that smiley smiley Claudio & Co look totally capable of winning the CL and bluntly Man U dont.They were not good enough last year and there has been no improvment whatsoever team wise. Ronaldo?Djemba Djemba?Kleberson?Fletcher?David f'n Bellion? Please.....

Ok i'm knackered so i'll just stop talking now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Is there really any argument here?

Rooney has produced the goods in the past, Ronaldo has not.

This season they have both produced 1 goal and 1 assist. Rooney hasnt played well and has come in from critisicm, ronaldo is lauded like a god. I dont understand it.

Maybe in the future ronaldo might turn into a decent player, but at the moment hes simply an average winger that cant get past Ashley Cole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Rooney has produced the goods in the past, Ronaldo has not.

Roooney got 6 from 37 appearances last year , Ronaldo got 3 from 25 with lisbon. This year Rooney has 1 from 12 and ronaldo 1 from 9. There nothin there to indicate a great difference between them. They are much to young to know what impact they are going to have in the years to come but as it stands now scoring wise there is very little between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People say Man United don't have a chance of winning the champions league but if theres one thing I've learnt from watching football for the last decade or so is that you can never ever write them off :)

atm Ronaldo isn't a great player, and once Forlan starts really getting on form, and Giggs pushs back to winger, I can see there being a lot of competition for right wing that I don't think Ronaldo can compete with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Just out of interest did anyone else initally read this as a comparison between Wayne Rooney and the REAL Ronaldo - ie not that recently imported powderpuff at Old Trafford? I thought that first reply was taking the p1ss until I reread it :)

As you can see the ManU ronaldo has made absolutely no impression on me so far so I'm gonna vote for Rooney. If does well in Euro2004 then we could have a real star in the making.
    Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    There is something about Rooney’s appearance that prevents me from liking him as a footballer. .

It could possibly be his bad teeth and the fact that he has the beady eyes, pug nose and sneering smile of a stereotypical tracker-knacker scumbag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

rooneys english which means he's been brought up playing a more physical game, whereas ronaldo portugese, he comes from a slower, showboating type background were theres no such word as 'defense'.

rooney has an advantage here, in that he knows the english game, this is ronaldo's 1st season remember, it will take time for him to fit into the side. had rooney gone to spain or portugal, im sure he wouldnt have made any impact.

as for ronaldo being a panic buy, he was a panic buy in the sense that fergie was worried other clubs would come in and nic him. fergie was happy to take him in next summer but was forced to buy him. i dont think he was a replacement for ronaldinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by PHB the gay
    People say Man United don't have a chance of winning the champions league but if theres one thing I've learnt from watching football for the last decade or so is that you can never ever write them off :)

u must be thinkin of the germans :) . JUVE FOR THE CHAMPINOS LEAGUE !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Wayne Rooney without a doubt.
    His performances on the international stage have been outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Maybe in the future ronaldo might turn into a decent player, but at the moment hes simply an average winger that cant get past Ashley Cole.

Well he allready made a fool out of Cole at OT, left him on his arse forcing Veira and cole to double up on him. I'd rather we payed for Duff though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Rooney all the way

ronaldo is too much of "look at me and my fecking step overs"

id pick rooney over ronaldo any day
    ronaldo is too much hype and dives too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Just out of interest did anyone else initally read this as a comparison between Wayne Rooney and the REAL Ronaldo - ie not that recently imported powderpuff at Old Trafford? I thought that first reply was taking the p1ss until I reread it

As you can see the ManU ronaldo has made absolutely no impression on me so far so I'm gonna vote for Rooney

i thought the same thing yeh...

anyway not seen much of ronaldo really and has yet to make an impression on me aswell so i guess i would also go for rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I think it is hard to judge either player based on this seasons performances so far, because neither of them have really impressed me!!

I think the difference between Rooney this season & last season is more to do with the fact that the opposition are given him a lot more respect than they did last year ... thus reducing the space & time he has on the ball!!

Plus, Everton have been sh1te this season :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

One look at Rooney should tell you that he's going to have weight problems. He's already carrying one chin too many and that's before he's got going.

Possibly another Lee Sharp or Norman Whiteside, finished almost as soon as it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by Rodney Trotter
    One look at Rooney should tell you that he's going to have weight problems. He's already carrying one chin too many and that's before he's got going.

Possibly another Lee Sharp or Norman Whiteside, finished almost as soon as it started.

I wonder would your tune change if he were to go to Utd perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Seeing as he named two United players, I doubt it.

Whether he stays at Everton or joins another team is irrelevant to my opinion. Unlike many other contributors I am not blinkered as to the players from any particular team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

<*snip*> that pic is terrible on so many levels, so you can consider yourself banned from this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nice Image :rolleyes:

Pathetic!

Advertisement