Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL modem

• 16-11-2003 5:36am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I have a Zyxel Prestige 630 modem which i got from eircom when i got ADSL, it says i am getting downstream attenuation of 51dB is that bad? Also i am wondering if the modem itself can be responsible for higher ping times...even though i am on starter pack i ping not very well. I don't have a clue how to set up ethernet routers blah blah, i don't even know what a router is. Does anyone know if the D-Link DSL Modem DSL-200 USB Interface is good, and by good i mean is it possible at all that the cause of my high ping is me having a **** modem, and by getting a new/better one it could be fixed. Technically i should have good ping as i am on starter pack! Any help is grealty appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im assuming that the modem you fot from eircom is a usb? If you got a relatively bad pc (or maybe in anycase) a USB will give higher pings than an ethernet as all the work is still done bu the CPU.

An ethernet modem is very similar to a usb one. In simple turns all it means is that you plug it into your network card instead of the usb slot and it has its own power supply. (basics)

I dunno about that modem but what pings are you getting at the moment?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

My computer is extremely powerful...3.06ghz...1gig RD ram, so i don't think that is an issue, the modem i got is a Zyxel Prestige 530, i got it from eircom and yes it is a USB one:

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 73ms, Maximum = 78ms, Average = 75ms

This is on eircom starter pack, i don't know what to do, is it a problem with the line, a problem with the modem or what, i have no idea where to turn..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Erm, well I have the pci version of that and I have no problems with pings,

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=56
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=56
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=56
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 40ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 42ms

And that's netsource too :eek:

I know other people with usb modems and they got sub 20 pings with esat business.

Perhaps eircom cocked up and you got an adsl line with interleaving turned on full.

[edit] My attenuation is 38db downstream, don't know if yours is bad or mine is good though. [/edit]

Well my attenuation is certainly a fair bit higher...i first got solo package back in february before starter was out, then moved to starter mid august, maybe i'm on a different network to most starter packages, since i got my ADSL before starter came out, is this possible, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I know other people with usb modems and they got sub 20 pings with esat business

This seems weird because Esat Business supply an Ethernet modem and i dont know why people would go back to using a USB unless they didnt have a NIC or a spare power point.

Those pings are very high tbh, the difference between USB is noticeable but nothing near to what your getting compared to others on Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Eep, I ment the old 320k residential package. Same deal with interleaving though. Stupid brain :)

Yeh it's strange alright, i'm left wondering what the problem is, my USB modem that i got from eircom, my line (51.5dB attenuation) or just that i am on a busy exchange? Does anyone know if 51.5dB attenuation is high and if so is there anything that can be done about it?

Advertisement