Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded office 97 to 2000 question?

Options
  • 16-11-2003 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So yeah i want to upgrade a few pc's to office 2000 that r on 97. What i'm wondering is do i need to uninstall 97 or will it just get updgrade or do i need to uninstall it first. Also if i uninstall, the files that i have that use 97 should just automatically change to 2000 shouldn't they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Doesnt matter which version you use and office 2000 is backwards compatible with 97 so all you files will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

right yeah i kind figured that, just wasn't sure, but should i uninstall office 97 before i install 2000?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why ?
    What new "must have" features have there been in Word / Excel / Powerpoint between 97-2000-XP-2003 ??

if you don't use Access - Have a look at www.openoffice.org - if you do use access think very carefully cos access 97 and 2000 don't like swapping dB's

Ok outlook 97 was so bad there used to be a free upgrade to 98, and 2k is most definitely another improvement - BUT If you have exchange server CAL's you can use them to install a later version of outlook rathere than buying it...

If you install 2000 remember in word to go into tools options save and "disable features not supported by office 97"

If you use lots of docs with tables test them first 97 <---> 2000 with tables sometimes goes to mush..

2K should remove traces of 97 during the install - if you uninstall 97 manually then you should also get from the M$ website a utility called erase97.exe 1.5Mb (other wise there is a technet article with 4 pages of things left behind after the "remove all" option)

Also if there are a few machines to do then setup Office 2K on one - with all the settings (list 9 files on open / Irish /UK spelling , autosave , excel addins etc.) and then download the office 2000 custom installation wizard, so you have one click rollouts (& reinstalls)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Never had a problem with just upgrading myself. But generally I uninstall the older version and then install the newer one. Dunno if I'd bother with going from 97 to 2000 since most of the differencies are minor. Some minor differencies in the VBA too. Theres a lot more "improvements" in 2002 over 2000.

Advertisement