Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For anyone building a computer for the first time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

man thats a big pdf. im having trouble loading it. and thats in college. i can get the first couple of pages okay but after that it just doesnt happen. im only interested in the cooling section but i cant get anywhere near it.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Sid71

Yes it is a large pdf file!
    What I had to do is this: after each page loads click on the next page button and let it load then click the next page button again and so on!
    Be patient it will load but painfully slow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

sigh, right click save as

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

I downloaded it and speed glaced :D a few pages throughout, once I got past the silly graphics at the start of course.

It's a bit dated in terms of spec - for example KT266A, Athlon 1800+, 24x CD burner - but that's generic stuff, it was probably dated a month after it was written. If you don't take that as gospel that's fine.

The only other issues that I noticed while scanning were...

a) The case they used had a removable tray.
    I prefer to install the CPU and heatsink before installing the board. Ok, you need to be more careful installing the board subsequently, but it gives you much better room to do it carefully, and so much pressure is needed to get the heatsink clipped on, and you don't want any accidents (screwdriver slipping when pushing the clip). Abit boards come with an anti-static bubble wrap bag, and I've found that ideal for laying the board flat on, and installing the heatsink.

b) Windows XP Pro.
    We all have our own preferences, but unless you want to connect to multiple domain servers or want a crippled version of IIS then why bother, XP home would be fine and a tad cheaper, and since you're building a new machine, try and find somewhere that will sell you an OEM copy. Jeez, most places are happy to sell me OEM software 'cos they see me so much :)

c) Not mad on the sequence they did things in.
    I reckon its best to get the bare working configuration together (board, CPU/heatsink, memory and video), get all the jumpers and connectors right and work from there. Since most modern ATX boards still pull power when off, if the PSU has an off switch on it (not the one on the case) use that to power off the system when fitting everthing else but leave the power cable in because it will help ground the case, otherwise plug it out.

My 2 cents

D.

Advertisement