Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ff Xi

Options
  • 16-11-2003 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi big final fantasy fan here and just realised that it was released in the states at the end of october for the pc however it seems a european release date is unknown.

I was wondering has anyone heard anything of a release that for over here and also if it is just a pc game will it a copy from the states not work just as well over here? has anyone got it or tried it i known someone going to the states next week and could probably pick it up?

cheers

data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

afaik u gotta pay a subcription to play it and that an american copy can only play on american servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

and could i log onto american servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i don't know mate.

but the europeon version will be out only after it comes out on PS2 here

you mean the european pc version will only be out after the ps2 version?

or the european pc version will only be out after the ps2 version in the states?

i have to say i fail to see why they couldn't launch with an english version in europe for the pc along with the one in the states. i know the ps2 has pal and ntsc differences but they don't apply to pc games right?

i don't mind having the ps2 version if it happened to run it better or equal to my pc (but i've just recently upgraded so i doubt it can)

also i presume the ps2 will have launched some kind of online package by then akin to xbox live?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's because Square-Enix think Europeans are barbarians who wouldn't understand RPGs. They send over crap like Unlimited Saga and when they sell crap they don't bother sending over the classics like Xenogears and Chrono Cross.

Will this work on a 56k connection or am I basically never going to get to play this game because I live in the backarse of dublin and errorcon won't give us broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

more importantly, what the hell are the specs gonna be like, i mean i have FFX on ps2 (never ever played it ` dont ask)
    and graphics are awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say they will be quite high. There's a FFXI graphics benchmark out on the net somewhere.

yeah its a 53mb download so i'm hesitant to go get it. but you can check out the website it gives different scoring regions from
    0-7000. Basically the top computers of today (athlon's fx and 9800xT score just under 7000. square says anything above 7000 will basially be the doggies bollix.

my own computer should bench around 5500-6000 i'm estimating but its playable at anything over 1000 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    also i presume the ps2 will have launched some kind of online package by then akin to xbox live?

you can already get ps2 online here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

There are no american servers for it, all the servers are in Japan so they allll have to play together.
    The game can be played over 56k because i know a few lads in the US that play it that way. The game can be imported from there so i'm pretty sure we could play it here too.

http://www.importmadness.co.uk/cgi-bin/prod?Item_Number=130507

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go. I'm importing stuff soon anyway and have all the other Final Fantasy's

i'm thinking of importing it too, theres another thread in the MM section with links to cheap import places it can be gotten for as low as €52

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

I got my copy from, and was very happy with speed of delivery. (They are UK based)
    http://www.newageconsoles.com

There is no confirmation of a Europe release.

First Impressions are good every thing looks nice, the towns have a good feel to them, got to level 2 with no problems. This is with about an hours play last night. The User Interface was fine.

Negative points so far are, the install takes some time there are 5 CDs and a big download. I think there is not enought variation in the looks for each race.

The server you end up on is random, you can delete the character and try for a different server. A player on any server can "invite" (called a world pass) other players to that server and then the new players will create new characters on that server. This "invite" costs Gil (money). I am on the server Ramuh. I had a list of 4 servers I wanted these were picked by the most posts in the Vault Network server boards so to get a bias to english speakers. I got Ramph first try.

If anybody wants a world pass to Ramph I can got get one, once I work out how to make Gil. This could be an Irish server?

Also here is a California (San Jose) zip code 95128-4014

T.

kipple you the man. i think santa will be getting me this for xmas.
    you had no problem at all pretending you where from the states?

also what about the monthly subscription fee how does that work?
    and did it come with the expansion pack rise of zilbart (or something like that?)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

The subscription is 12 dollars.
    It comes with the expansion pack.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i hate game's u have to pay for over and over and over

pain in the ass :mad:

true but square need 300,000 users just to break even apparently so i don't mind paying those servers and bandwidth aren't free i suppose

15 quid a month to have your player beating to death by some 13 year old who spend's WAY to much type leveling up to 9999hp .....bah

anyway i hope the game turn's out good for you data as long as people enjoy it i guess 15 dollor's isnt much to ask for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I'd say they will be quite high. There's a FFXI graphics benchmark out on the net somewhere.
    they're quite low actually. lowest system requirements are: Pentium II 800 MHz, 128 MB RAM, Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, DirectX 8.0, 32 MB DirectX-compatible 3D accelerator,

the only drawback it seems that the game takes 6 gigs to install although if that all is content, i wouldnt call it a drawback after all.
    Originally poster by Bizmark
    15 quid a month to have your player beating to death by some 13 year old who spend's WAY to much type leveling up to 9999hp .....bah
    PvP isnt implemented yet. i'd suggest reading something about a game before moaning on forums about your inability to beat a 13 year old kid in a game :)

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hangon a second. FF XI's going to be out on the PC? That's a shock.

Well I thoroughly love FFX, so I'll probably get it. Although the whole paying monthly thing is annoying. I'm not used to that. It's probably the only thing that kept me from becoming and Everquest junkie.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bizmark

anyway i hope the game turn's out good for you data as long as people enjoy it i guess 15 dollor's isnt much to ask for

i've been playing the series since 7 and have to say i'll probably enjoy it regardless, theres nothing like blind commitment to something like FF or star trek (even enterprise :) )

i like FF so much its one of the few games i'd actually buy to own instead of my usual shenanigans with pc games

Amp i suppose when you add the cost of playing FF to the cost of your broadband or flat rate for example it can turn out quite a bit a month all of a sudden to play a game you like online.

either that or you just tight :p

P.S whats this PvP thingy?

PvP isnt implemented yet. i'd suggest reading something about a game before moaning on forums about your inability to beat a 13 year old kid in a game

My inabliity to beat people in some game's is legendary :D

And Data .....PVP = Person vr's person combat basicly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

any word on if the jap version will work on a chipped pal console? if it does there may be hope running the us version when it comes out next year. my computer stands about as much of a chance as a snowman in hell or running it.

i was reading the spec's for this game....their not that high 800mhz pc (min) id say it will work grand on a 1,6ghz pc

But it will eat 6 GIG of hard disk space :eek:

im going to download the benchmark tool to see how my 2600xp pc would play the game

edit
    Hmmm i got 4500 score for my 2600xp 512meg of ram Geforce fx5200 128meg

that was with the v 1,1 benchmark

Here are the scoring ranges:
    Above 4000:
    You should have no problem running Final Fantasy XI. Your computer is above
    and beyond the requirements.

glad i recently got a 160gb hard drive then :)

the latest athlon FX's dont even clear the 7000 mark with a 9800XT for that benchmark biz so i'd say your system id doing quite well there.

mines not massively different though my graphics card should help me out a bit more.

by "above and beyond" they better mean "Your pc rule's and is twice as powerful as is needed"

Other wise alot of people wont be able to play the game i think the aveage pc is still 1ghz - 1.2ghz

and ya my G-card isnt that good i so so want a 9700 xt

on the playonline website they had a good way for interpreting the rules its playable apparently with a score less then 999 i think, just with lower textures, resolutions, weather effects etc.

well i'm all up and registered and stuff and it all looks pretty good so far. just downloading the updates now

files remaining 1903/1934 time remaining: 10:37:27

god damn dial-up think i'll go back to bed and this phone line better not drop the connection :(

10 hours of updates...eww :confused:

• Advertisement

all done now was playing it this morning, it plays fine on 56k i think no problems at all really. it didn't look visually great as i hadn't bothered to configure the resolution or anything, i've sorted it out so that it will be fine next time i'm on.

the game is very different to any other FF game and is probably more similar to other rpg's which i am not familiar with. i really need to give the manual a better looking over.

Advertisement