Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert a site to php?

Options
  • 16-11-2003 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

how much would someone charge to convert a html site to php? I want to convert my site as it takes too much time to update single html pages. I'd rather use a database to store everything. Anyone know a company that could do so also?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It would depend a lot on how complex the site was and also on the timescale involved.
    A lot of developers hangout around here, so maybe if you posted to the 'work' board you might get a few offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

In many respects you’re talking about a complete redevelopment while keeping the original concept design the same. Ideally this would mean that individual page design would be contained in one or two SSI’s that are then used throughout the site rather than replicated on each and every page. This would allow global design changes to be made with far greater ease.

With regard to making it all database driven, you would hopefully be able to structure everything in a section/item structure, which should decrease the development curve substantially as it would allow for the same code to be used to add-edit-delete content globally.

As for cost, you’re talking about a custom or bespoke job realistically. Avoid anyone who thinks that using free scripts will suffice. Assuming a fairly straightforward specification, assume somewhere between €2,000 and €6,000, off the top of my head (although it’s very difficult to guess). Don’t touch anyone who says they can do it for less than €1,000 - you’ll be paying for their shortcomings long after they’re gone back to school ;)

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    Don’t touch anyone who says they can do it for less than €1,000 - you’ll be paying for their shortcomings long after they’re gone back to school ;)

Which is another way of saying that you pay for what you get. If you can find some 'kid' to do the job for a couple of hundred euro you'll save money short-term, but by the time you've cleaned up all their crap it will have cost you a lot more time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

You could try using a Content Management System - what the guys above say is all good and correct - but I doubt you have that kind of cash to hand over - maybe "the kid" is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by buddy
    You could try using a Content Management System - what the guys above say is all good and correct - but I doubt you have that kind of cash to hand over - maybe "the kid" is what you need.
    That's what I was thinking. If it's only a small site, a community thing or something, you may be better off with the cheaper "on-the-side" guy, who'll do up something simple using Smarty templates or somesuch.

As the others say though, if it's a serious site (a business), you'll be better off with someone who's experienced, and probably doing it as a full-time job.

• Advertisement

I would tend to agree with seamus. If you’re a commercial entity and you’re either selling goods or services from your Web site or your business model is based upon advertising then you have an ethical, and in most cases legal, obligation to have a professional set-up. You won’t get that from a school kid or hobbyist.

It’s not uncommon to find small businesses spending pounds to save pennies, as the saying goes, and cutting corners that will come back to haunt them. Such as using free hosting and then wondering why their site was deleted without warning or why their ‘developer’ can’t make a change to the site because he/she doesn’t actually understand the code behind it or processing credit card numbers with a formmail script and wondering why people are not buying in droves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

I think if the so called 'kid' can do the job let him do the job. the so called 'kid' may have the experience to do the job and give him a chance. It's about getting the best value for money not being ripped off by a guy that does this everyday.

Originally posted by mada999
    I think if the so called 'kid' can do the job let him do the job. the so called 'kid' may have the experience to do the job and give him a chance. It's about getting the best value for money not being ripped off by a guy that does this everyday.
    If the so-called ‘kid’ can do the job and has the experience to do the job, then (s)he’s probably not a so-called ‘kid’. The reality is that so-called ‘kids’ don’t have the experience and only a little knowledge - enough to muddle their way through. That’s fine for an amateur or voluntary Web site or even many small static brochureware sites, but is inadequate for anything more advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah because so called "kids" can only code html sites, they know nothing about asp/php/jsp etc . . . .

yeah right just because they are not in a web design company doesn't mean that they cannot code in these languages. I'm not saying that all "kids" can do this but some can.

And how do "kids" get experience ??
    Answer: By someone giving them a shot!

Although I'm sure they couldn't code aib's banking365 or anything but they could do something. Depending on the job at hand, but please give them a chance.

Just coz they would only charge €1000 doesn't mean it is ALWAYS worse quality than someone who charges €2000 - €6000.

Originally posted by mada999
    yeah right just because they are not in a web design company doesn't mean that they cannot code in these languages. I'm not saying that all "kids" can do this but some can.
    No one is saying that many ‘kids’ lack enthusiasm, only professionalism. Many people in the IT industry, including myself, originally learned as teenagers by trial and error, by tinkering about. However, you don’t really learn about memory leaks in IIS, or how to draw up a proper specifications document, or the legal implications of IP or eCommerce from tinkering about.

But in reality most ‘kids’ (and quite a few so-called professionals) don’t write their own code, but snarf other peoples’, hacking it until it does something close to what the client requires. And when it inevitably breaks, they can’t fix it because they ultimately don’t understand it and the client has to pay for it to be redone.
    Although I'm sure they couldn't code aib's banking365 or anything but they could do something. Depending on the job at hand, but please give them a chance.
    A chance? It may be a ‘chance’ for you, but in the case of many clients it’s an essential component in a much larger investment or perhaps even their livelihood.
    Just coz they would only charge €1000 doesn't mean it is ALWAYS worse quality than someone who charges €2000 - €6000.
    That’s true in so far as there are quite a few cowboys in IT in Ireland. But, that aside, if you mean that a school kid can do a better job than an experienced professional or firm, then no; the professional will ALWAYS deliver a better quality service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

A static html site, is probably not going to be complex (in logical terms), in the least.

It would probably take a reasonable php programmer... oh... about 2-4 weeks to do an entire conversion and db setup (not including design time).

At php programmer rates that would cost you somehwere between 2.5k and 3.8k.

Basically.

Advertisement