Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite system

• 16-11-2003 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Just wondering if any of ye have seen the Satellite system that Lidl are offering actually working. I heard you only get about 4 english speaking channels??

Any info. ye have would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Not sure if this threads in the right place??..theres a thread on this already.

Anywayz,

There are only a couple of english speaking channels - as its an analog system. If you point it at Astra1, you will get cnn/cnbc. Now, if your a german speaker your in business - all the fta german channels.

I used this system to get started and went on to buy a digital receiver & skystar pci card. The lnb and dish itself are universal - can be used with analog & digital systems. Dish is of average quality - 80cm. For the price, i think its worth it for the dish and lnb tbh - my lidl receiver is now redundant (as i suspect are most) - im still thinking of picking up a second system though - for the dish and lnb.

At the time of buying a lot of people turned up in a feeding frenzy expecting that they could get bbc channels with this system - and some even thought they could get sky! - so youve been warned.

You could get the system, then buy either a satellite card for a computer (skystar = approx. 65 euro) and either watch on monitor - or if you have gfx card with tv out - run the out cable to the tv - and view on tv. i have heard that some paytv channels can be unencrypted using such cards ..but that of course wouldnt be legal;)

Otherwise, you can get a fta digital receiver from €100 - €450 - the high end receivers having having hard disks to record stuff (similar to sky plus).

hth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Advertisement