Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worms 3D

Options
  • 16-11-2003 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody played this yet? I got it last week (PC version), and i have to say its great fun. It does take a little while to get used to controlling the weapons in 3D if you're used to the 2D worms games.

The network code, however, appears to suck. I was playing it on a 100mbit lan with a friend and there were 5 second pauses between turns, random disconnects, things going out of sync, etc. Team17 were supposed to release a patch on Friday to resolve most of these problems but it hasn't appeared yet. Traditional "hot seat" worms still works fine though - its just a pain in the arse moving around the keyboard :)

The single player "Campaign" and "Challenge" modes provide some entertainment, but you will eventually just play them to unlock the better weapons for multiplayer.

The deformable landscape in the game is great, but a lot of the randomly generated landscapes seem to be similar - mostly just bunches of small islands, where most kills are gotten by blasting/prodding the enemy into the water rather than actually depleting their health.
    (I still love it though, and its damn addictive)

I can't say much about the specs besides that it runs fine on my XP2800/512mb dual channel/GF4 Ti4200 system. The minimum specs are:
    - Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
    - 800 CPU
    - 256 MB RAM
    - 8 x CD-ROM / DVD-ROM drive
    - 32 MB 3d card - open GL compatible
    - 1.4 GB Hard Drive Space

They recommend a 1GHz CPU and 64MB graphics card. 512MB RAM would be nice too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I want to get it but I'll have to get it on PS2 or GC as my PC is pretty ****. If anybody has played either of those versions I'd welcome feedback.
    Just a thought but how did they iplement the weapons like the Mad Cow and Old Lady? I mean can you move them in different directions or do they still travel in a straight linear path?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They travel in a straight path. You aim them in whatever direction you want before releasing them. Sheep tend to jump over small gaps and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ah I see. And what about the weapons? Anything been left out? So long as the Holy Hand Grenade and Super Bananna Bomb are still there I'll be happy :)

They took out the digging tools - blowtorch and drill. Banana bomb and holy handgrenade are there, i think they may have taken out the ridiculously powerful concrete donkey though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by Stephen
    They took out the digging tools - blowtorch and drill.

No more turning to the darkside, tunneling f*(kers!

A major part of the whole 2D worms experience was the ability to take out other worms, apart from the one you were initially aiming for, with a cluster bomb etc, maybe with mines bouncing around, this doesn't seem to be the case with the 3D version.

Seems to me that going 3D was a bit of overkill for the series.

Luc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

we hve it on the gamecube in the office - amazing fun with a few people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Gotta love that deformable landscape though!

The mines certainly don't tend to bounce around like they did in the 2d game, but those oil barrels make a big bang! Its easy enough to blast a worm into mines on the landscape with most weapons as well.

(i love the baseball bat)

Wormpot modes can provide some fun

its an interesting game when you've got double damage and super explosives at once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

32mb t&l capable graphics card ME ARSE!
    ah well, i've gotten the gist of it so far, seems to be a good laugh...

Advertisement