Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP SP1 and Norton Antivirus 2004 problem

Options
  • 16-11-2003 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone

I need some help with a problem which has occoured on my computer since installing norton antivirus on my machine.

After I installed I started up the computer again and got an error message saying that windows has recovered from a system crash. Do you want to send an error report to microsoft. After I click "send error report" the computer runs fine. When I clicked the More info link on the error dialog box it said something about virus scanners that sometimes overwrite device drivers on your computer and to contact the vendor.

I went to the symatec support site but cannot make head nor tails of it and found it to be completely useless. whats more there was no "contact us" link on the site.

What I would like to know is if there is anyone else out there that has had a similar problem and how they went about fixing it.

I do not know which device drivers are playing up on me.

Another thing to note when I am shutting down the computer and i do the usual start > turn off computer followed by clicking the red turn off computer icon on the resulting dialog box which appears the computer restarts and I have to wait until the log in screen comes on to select the "turn off computer" icon again to turn the machine off.

I would be afraid to uninstall norton in case it takes half of windows with it so I would like to know if it can be fixed before i do something drastic

Thanking you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Do you have McAfee anti virus already installed, I know that Nortan and McAfee dont like each other, and tend to f**k machines up if both installed at the same time.
    Hertz

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

No I dont have macafee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

try getting the windows updates and Norton updates.

I think that happened to me when I first installed Norton....after the updates and such everything is fine.

altho I did ditch vanilla NAV 2003 for Norton SystemWorks...ghost is essential :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

hhmm interesting my previously stable XP sp 1 pc is BSODing every so often ever since I installed Norton 2004 (and a few other bits and pieces that I think I have eliminated) anyone else have the same problem??

Advertisement