Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with first set-up

Options
  • 16-11-2003 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I've no experience with Home cinema, but my brother has just ordered a DVD player so I figure I'll finally get a set up.

I have a pretty ordinary sized living room and am looking to spend around 400-450 on the receiver and speakers. What would you recommend I buy and from where?

I also would like to hook up my portable MD player to the receiver and listen to it through the speakers is this possible and what kind of quality do you usually get hooking other audio sources up to such set ups?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by alb
    I also would like to hook up my portable MD player to the receiver and listen to it through the speakers is this possible and what kind of quality do you usually get hooking other audio sources up to such set ups?

Pretty good quality, I do that a few times with my MD, a 3.5mm to RCA (L/R phono) cable is all thats required, best results (for sonys anyway) are with the bass turned off and volume at 28/30.

I'd bump that budget up by 200 if possible, at least then you get one of the slightly decent speaker packages (as opposed to something crap).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

at roughly that price u coulod have a look at the Sony HTD-DW750 its €499 and the sound is quite good

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For a lowish price the JVC THA35R is pretty good sound wise, better than the Sony equivalent anyhow and it's €399 in some places.

Also worth a listen would be the Panasonic SCHT500 at €449 with 4x 50W, 1x 100W Centre and 1x 200W Subwoofer (all RMS). This player will also play mp3, wma, DVD-RAM, etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

thanks for your help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

www.internetdvdsdirect.co.uk have that JVC THA35R for £209, that seems like a very good deal no?

Can anyone who has experience with this system (byte perhaps?) confirm that this can definitely take in other audio sources such as an MD player?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Oh yes, it has one R+L Phono input and a digital input

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=TH-A35&catid=15&lid=

Advertisement