Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chess question

Options
  • 16-11-2003 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

In chess can when a pawn reaches the top can you replace it with ANY major piece or do you have to first replace your captured pieces e.g. if your opponent has taken a knight and a bishop do you have to choose one of them first instead of just replacing the pawn with a second queen everytime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

No, you can choose any of the major pieces. Unsurprisingly, the most popular choice is the queen... the only viable alternative would be the knight, whose unique style of movement sets him apart. If you've already got the piece you want on the board (i.e. you want a second queen), then you use a token such as a rook turned upside-down, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by Lyconix
    the only viable alternative would be the knight, whose unique style of movement sets him apart. If you've already got the piece you want on the board (i.e. you want a second queen), then you use a token such as a rook turned upside-down, etc.
    No way, the rook is better than a knight if you want an alternative and you can have more than 2 queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

I think you misunderstood me...

Since the knight can move in a way that even the queen cannot, he can be useful in certain hypothetical situations... I can't remember ever choosing another piece besides the queen, but the knight is the only potentially useful alternative. Choosing a rook or bishop would be pointless (since both are inferior pieces to the queen), but the knight is different altogether and might facilitate a checkmate where a queen wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Id rather have a knight over a rook or a bishop anyday, their far more manouvrable and its so easy to kill a queen with them, get them in check but get it in a position your knight can kill their queen to, they cant block the check (cant block a knight), and therefore have to move their king, and lose their queen.

But yes you can have 9 queens if you somehow manage it, the most Ive ever seen is 3 tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Well here's an example of 4 queens then. :D
    See attachment.
    I was taking the piss a bit in that game, and don't worry he's a mate so he didn't take it too badly. Though he might not like me posting the pic. heh

But anyway, i'll pick whatever piece i need.
    It's not always best to pick a queen, for many reasons.
    Sometimes it could cause a stalemate if you pick a queen, something i've managed to engineer on a couple of occasions.
    Can be quite satisfying. :)

But yeah always assess the situation before choosing which piece you want.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Thanks for all the feedback to that question everyone.

Killian what's that program in example.jpg? Is it a real-time online program by any chance because I've been looking to find a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

by the looks of it its a msn gaming zone programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Yeah, it's just the msn gaming zone.
    Used to play there quite a bit.
    Usually a good few people playing so you won't be stuck for a game.
    There was another site i found that was pretty good, but i can't for the life of my remember the name of it. Maybe you could try googling for some sites.

killian

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

games.yahoo.com has a decent chess sction as well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Anyone ere ever play Chess at a competitive level in the real world? If so, for what club? Play in any tournaments? What rating were/are you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ignoring what is happening on the rest of the board...

Pawn is on C2
    King is on A2
    then when the pawn moves to C1 and becomes a Queen it's a stalemate - if you didn't move the pawn the King would move to B2 and take the pawn-queen on the next move.

(Note you can't mate with just a king and a knight)

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Ignoring what is happening on the rest of the board...

Pawn is on C2
    King is on A2
    then when the pawn moves to C1 and becomes a Queen it's a stalemate - if you didn't move the pawn the King would move to B2 and take the pawn-queen on the next move.

(Note you can't mate with just a king and a knight)
    Your actually wrong there, B3 is completely safe for the king.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

B3 ?

Oh yeah , we couldn't afford a full chess board, took us ages to pay it off and then they came and repossessed B3 when we missed the final payment :(

OK then..
    Assume there is a Black pawn on B3 facing a White pawn on B4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by kif
    Anyone ere ever play Chess at a competitive level in the real world? If so, for what club? Play in any tournaments? What rating were/are you?
    I played in secondary school, within the school and for the school team in competitions, won a few medals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

How about a chess board? =) And a chess competition/ladder for boards.ie members? Games can be played on gamezone or yahoo etc.

Originally posted by CodeMonkey
    How about a chess board? =) And a chess competition/ladder for boards.ie members? Games can be played on gamezone or yahoo etc.
    I like the cut of this mans pawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i also endorse this product and/or service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I would play in a boards chess ladder/comp....

I also endorse this product and or service

Id be up for a boards chess ladder, I was my primary school chess champion, still play it too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

How about finding a pub or two who don't object to people bringing a few boards along and playing in real life once in a while too?

Don't have enough friends who do play chess so would definitely be up for this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

perhaps this should be moved to feedback/suggestions?

Advertisement