Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DeVore Interview

Options
  • 19-10-1999 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

As part of qamex's build up to DubLan, we have posted a interview with DeVore some of you might want to read.

Get it at www.qamex.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Nice interview altho hard to follow with the layout and with RoisinDubh's long and imformed ramblings... like who cares about the persoanl opinion of the interviewer on something she doesn't understand. Anyway....

This piece caught my eye tho.. "I got ISDN in
    and practised like mad but everyone put my ability down to my connection speed."

No offence Dev but i played quake when you got your ISDN line etc etc and you where <SNIP SNIP> (Just to keep the peace)

<SNIP> you have any degree of skill in quake <SNIP> no powerups, or control of the level necesarry.

Sad really
    You know what they say about <SNIP>

<SNIP> tongue.gif - I might offend someone - oh no

[This message has been edited by bubbles (edited 19-10-99).]

opps pressed the submit button twice, slow connection here today.... <SNIP>

[This message has been edited by bubbles (edited 19-10-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RoisinDubh

I am doing all this writing from the point of view of a general member of the public, how do you know what I do, and do not know.

On-line gaming is going to become massive with the Dreamcast, Playstation 2 and so on. Not everyone is going to play every day and not everyone is going to know everything about who is who and what goes on.

I will bring humour and explanation for non-experienced people where possible to my pieces, and I make no apology for it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Couple o questions for you.

Who are you?
    Do you think your "Outside" opinion Matters at all?
    Wheres This Humour?
    And will you get them out for the lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

6 billion players on-line!
    hahahahaha smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 19-10-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RFK

Well you morons have certainly advanced the image of online gamers by many decades. Yes get them out love, dont tell us our own business, who are you you nosy outsider, let us crawl back to our bedrooms, never again to emerge. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Cheers Death, you've just knocked the image of gamers back another couple of years into the stone age. Woohoo.

I keep on giving the URL of the boards, of Qamex, of the IGN, wherever does online gaming, in pieces in dot.ie and G4, in the hope that we'll pick up new people, and introduce more of the general public to online games. However, it seems that some people don't wanna have anything to do with new players... you're happy with your little cliques the way they are, eh? Well sorry guys, you don't "own" gaming (or 0wn, even) and it's not a closed shop. There'll be almost a million European DreamCast owners about on the net by May. Thousands of new people will get PCs this Christmas. Next year, Playstation 2 and Project Dolphin, and the great unwashed will flood your happy little clique. Tough sh1t. Just because you found online gaming before others did, doesn't give you the right to act like an a$$hole over it.

Ja,
    Rob

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 19-10-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Damn straight RFK and Shinji. I'm relatively new to all this (9-10 months) and if everyone I met here had death's attitude I'd be long gone. This however isn't the case. Most everyone on these boards is helpfull and friendly. 'Spose you'll always have the odd gimp wherever you go. That's you Death that is.
    Bloody kids

Yah death, how could you !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I shall side-step the whole issue by stating that from just this one article, RoisinDubh is the worst interviewer I have ever had the misfortune of reading online.

My 0.02Euros worth.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I have to agree with Jaden and Death on this one. That was a fairly shallow interview padded occasionally with irrelevant stabs at the whole humour thing.

Granted not everyone is well up on online gaming, but at a guess anyone familiar enough with the Internet to find an online review of Dublan might be looking for a little more detail than was given.

As regards the 'Image of Online gamers' ... What image? It's not like anyone tries to meet the love of their life through online gaming (at least i hope to Je5us they don't) The only thing that anyone should be in any way concerned about is their Offline image. Online gaming is about to explode (acc:Roisin) and will do so regardless of how ppl act on the Net. Personally i find it far more refreshing when ppl stir the occasional bit of sh*t up instead of always being PC and nice.

JAK.

btw- Roisin if you can't accept criticism (even non-constructive types) you will have a hard time with the whole journalism thing.

[This message has been edited by Jak (edited 19-10-99).]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Um I just read the "interview" I gave.
    I dont have a problem with Roisins style (thats really between her and qamex) but there are things that are put in a context I dont like.

EG: I never for a moment suggested, commented, implied or intended the reader to infer that "DeVore is the event organiser and general organiser of everything in the Irish Quake Scene".

In fact as you can see later in the piece I said "**we** have become more experienced running these types of events. "
    By which I mean all the people on whose shoulders I stand to put the finishes touches to the LAN

Secondly I DID say that "I got ISDN in and practised like mad but everyone put my ability down to my connection speed. "
    Its true and ask any of the LPBs from around that time and they will tell you that it was annoying to be told again and again that it was your ping that won.

However I continued "There were a lot of arguments about who were the best clan/players if only they had as good a connection as others so I decided to run a LAN so that everyone would be as equal as possible."

I had seen both sides of the coin, HPB and LPB and it was clear to me that the complaints and arguments would continue until people could play on their own machines on a low ping. That meant a BIG lan.

I hardly played last year and made no show of playing whatsoever so I find bubbles comments ignorant. I shouldnt expect better from someone who hasnt played the game in years but who delights in causing rifts and irritating people.

Beyond that I thought the style of the piece was at least different from the usual Q&A, a little too much prose and inner monologue perhaps but otherwise fine. Qamex is not the Washington Post you know.

DeV.

Now hold on there Dev boy, first of all I havn't played quake in around 1 year, not years, and have been playing it for just under a year before you.... so that makes our palying time about the same.

I also made no comments about your playing and you arranging the lan. In fact I never mentioned the lan. What i ment was you sucked smile.gif And i assure you we did not blame your so called "skill" on your ping smile.gif
    Those are the facts.
    Call me ignorant but you can't hide the truth no matter how hard you try smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I'm going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well dev i played you a time or two and yu beat me so you must be good

bah, its only an article from someon who is cnotributing to a news site.
    i guess they can take whatever stance they want.
    its not a lesson in english prose now, its only an interview incorperated into an article
    let the girl speak

who owns my words?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You own your own words, Eamo, or so I heard - and may I just add that poor is the man whose pleasure depends on the permission of another smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'd say you do ww, as who else would be interested?

Oh, while I'm in this edit box - cheers for the notice with the switch lending Dev, eh NOT. So if I have a problem with it I'm held up to the whole Irish community as the **** who ruined the LAN for everyone? Cheers.

I'm not saying I *do* have a problem with it, but some consultation would be nice ya'know? :/

Teeth.

[This message has been edited by Dr_Teeth (edited 19-10-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭adra

hey Jak!

I met my husband-to-be through playing quake online.....

Don't knock it!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Eh???

Teeth I think you miss read me.

I said I'm expecting switches from Reaper and Zero.

In a last ditch fall back plan we might ask you for the switch you are bringing. But its certainly not my preferred method... in fact it only occured to me as a posisble fall back position when you mentioned it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Someone should interview me...im cool to...in EVERY WAY! !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭adra

here...just read that interview.......

For someone who we can rarely shut up, DeV didn't say much did he?

It was all that one talking. Kina beats the purpose of an "interview" doesn't it...if teh person giving it talks more than the person it's supposed to be about really.

Who's roisindubh anyways????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Thats cool Dev, I was just a bit taken aback to see myself mentioned on CIE like that. smile.gif

Teeth.

that 'interview' was like the old ones that that prize donger BP Fallon used to do in the Tribune. someone different interviewed the conceited bugger every week smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Wouldn't a not-so-narrative style suit this RoisinDubh wan. What about just the content, and an effort not to try and make it something it isn't ... like funny. And the whole language used seems a little out of place, maybe jak had the right point ... actually yea, he did

[This message has been edited by ste (edited 19-10-99).]

actually that reminds me also of when someone kicked the Beeps head in at Feile bout ten years ago. Hot Press wanted to run a story on it under the heading 'Beep Bopped by Lu-La!' rofl smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

If four lines can put it back years just give me a few days to write my theses on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Now I don’t mean to be out of order but that could be read to mean that Dev went to the gigantic hassle of organising last year’s event as an ego trip and to prove how great he is to everybody.

It's so true though! cheeky.gif

No mention of Tribes... shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Do ppl still mention tribes?
    oh dear smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

whats this tribes, some new game? wink.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have to say lads that that interview wasn't too bad. You can't afford to go into too much detail when you're doing an interview intended to inform those who know little of the event. If you know all about it then go jump. I like to think my opinion matters in this seeing as I have interviewd Robert Duffy and Levelord - *smug*. What distrubed me was that you had not seen the interview until it was published Dev. Both Mrssrs Duffy and Grey (Levelord) read and approved the exact transcript before I went ahead and put it up. If anyone ever wants to see Dev get a grilling in interview then give me a shout smile.gif

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh no you dont!

Advertisement