Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From the bottom up!

Options
  • 16-11-2003 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

It's funny how lower level functionaries get arrested when they break the Official Secrets Act, in an effort to expose higher level lawbreaking (without the same effect).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

There should be an independent government agency that you can go to with things like this, instead of having to go public and risk your own neck.

I understand that it is important for national security that "secrets" are not made public, but I also think that it is equally important that whisleblowers can come forward to some form of body that will ensure that the Intelligence services behave in a responsible and legal manner.

Otherwise they become a law onto themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Wicknight
    There should be an independent government agency that you can go to with things like this, instead of having to go public and risk your own neck.

I understand that it is important for national security that "secrets" are not made public, but I also think that it is equally important that whisleblowers can come forward to some form of body that will ensure that the Intelligence services behave in a responsible and legal manner.

Otherwise they become a law onto themselves.

I agree.
    I don't know of any case where actual information detrimental to the security of the country was compromised (in UK or America) but it is mostly used as a tactic to CYA.

Advertisement