Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras

Options
  • 16-11-2003 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

On my way up to Belfast today on the new motorway - tonnes of Northern reg cars tore past me on the southern side of the border. Do the Irish speed cameras work for them now ? i.e. can they get points/fine etc ? and I guess vice versa for us up North. I have a feeling this system isn't in effect yet....would make the drive alot safer though if it was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Check this Link
    It's on the way to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

they get fines but can delay paying for over 2 years, in saying that as soon as i go over the border speed limits are only a moderate guideline :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm guessing they don't get points - so in other words - its not in effect yet ? typical Ireland....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Big al
    they get fines but can delay paying for over 2 years, in saying that as soon as i go over the border speed limits are only a moderate guideline :D
    They only get a fine if they are stopped by the gardai as the gardai currently have no access to the DVLA records.

Anyone know how long it is currently taking for points to be sent out for irish registered cars / drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Redshift
    Check this Link
    It's on the way to be sure

Surely it would be illeagal for a private company to have access to the vehicle registration records. Also what prosecution powers do they have?

As an ex Traffic warden *ducks bombing attack* it was not worth your while even writing up a northern car, because you knew that they would escape scot free. Management were aware of this and advised to save paper.

BTW, Did you know that hire cars also always escape their parking tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Originally posted by kbannon
    Anyone know how long it is currently taking for points to be sent out for irish registered cars / drivers?

so can Irish registered cars, receive points from the Northern Ireland speed cameras then ? but the opposite doesn't happen to Northern reg cars down south.

I believe a company called MIB.ie , are in the process of getting everyones policy details, and putting them into a d/b for the UK police, so they can check to see if your car is insured etc , they would then have your home address to send you your fine/points, the system ain't finished getting setup though - probably be another few 100 years before its ready !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

Originally posted by ondafly
    so can Irish registered cars, receive points from the Northern Ireland speed cameras then ? but the opposite doesn't happen to Northern reg cars down south.

I believe a company called MIB.ie , are in the process of getting everyones policy details, and putting them into a d/b for the UK police, so they can check to see if your car is insured etc , they would then have your home address to send you your fine/points, the system ain't finished getting setup though - probably be another few 100 years before its ready !

First Point:
    No Irish speeders up the north only get a fine

As for your second point:
    Write to your insurance company stating that you do not allow them to share your details with any 3rd party, as per the data protection act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Big al
    First Point:
    No Irish speeders up the north only get a fine

As for your second point:
    Write to your insurance company stating that you do not allow them to share your details with any 3rd party, as per the data protection act

When you get a tax disc you have to provide details of insurance ie name of company and date of expiry. Since the govt have this info they can do what they want with it. Nothing to do with insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think Dundalk Urban District Council were actively considereing clamping becase of the number of offences by northern drivers (difficult to escape the auld clamp).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

a bit off topic but do u know that if u travel at 190mph the speed camera wont be able to track u i seen this on top gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    a bit off topic but do u know that if u travel at 190mph the speed camera wont be able to track u i seen this on top gear
    Perhaps, but the new check point 20 miles down the motorway will :)

Advertisement