Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange problem??

• 17-11-2003 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So yeah i got BB there last friday and its been working fine, the only thing is, that if i leave the computer for a while by its self(say an 1hr/2hrs) then when i come back to it and try and surf to the net it makes like its not online or something and doesn't load pages and the problem is sorted if i reboot and it seems to only happen if i leave the comp idle. Cuz i've play cs or bf1942 on it for a few hours and surfing the net and no probs. So i'm just wondering why does it go like this? anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

don't know why it happens but when I want to keep my connection alive, on 56k, i just leave outlook open checking pop3 every 10 mins, so the connection is busy while im away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Now that you have BB, you are visible to the world of Viruses, Trojans, Adware etc. far worse than you were. It will now become a battle between you and them.

I am still fighting this battle, bu am getting better results if I use the weapons that are available, and keep a bit of healthy paranoia going.

Make sure you have an Anti-Virus program installed, with the ability to upgrade its definitions at least once/week. Run a scheduled scan on all your computer daily.

Install a Personal Firewall and get familiar with its capabilities.

Install an Ad Blocker program, keep it updated, and run it every day.

I can not recommend products, but go to one of the Download sites and try out what you find. www.tucows.com or www.download.com are good places to start.

You will also be able to get free scans of your system by using Google and entering "free virus scan". This will give you an idea of what has been done to you since Friday

Welcome to the War Zone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah i have all of that stuff on my computer already. I have NAV and i keep it updated. I have Zone alarm firewall, the free one(is the the plus and pro one much better or needed for just 1 or 2 computers?), spybot - search&destroy, ad-aware and spyblaster and i run them all regualry anf keep them up to date. So does someone know what is causing the above problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Suppafly,

I expect you are using a BB modem (1 connection) with little functionality in the modem. PPPOE for protocol, run on your PC. This is a normal minimum connection. I had problems like yours with an eircom i-Stream Solo service, and had the support guys driven mental. They even sent me non-approved PPPOE client software to run. I kept switching between Win2000 Pro and Win XP but no joy.

I bought an ADSL Router (DLink 504) and it quickly stopped the connection failures. It has the necessary protocols built-in, and Firewall and Address Translation to keep your PC away from the prying eyes. The DLink failed on me after a while, so I am now running on a great little box :

SMC Barricade G SMC2804WBR - a Wireless router with 4 wired Ethernet ports, up to 54 Mbps/sec wireless, Firewall, NAT and all the bells and whistles. Better still, it is now cheap. I got mine from Komplett.ie for €103 plus €10 shipping. I also bought a slow USB WiFi card for about €35 to plug into any PC that could come near.

The biggest benefit of using routers like these is that you give the Broadband handling over to a dedicated box with no interruptions or other functions to interfere with the network connection task. The connection can be configured to be as secure as you want (once you learn the meaning of all the setups). Your PC then becomes one of any number of users of a controlled Internet Access Service. For €103?!!

You will also learn a lot from reading the setup instructions for the various functions.

If you have a USB modem with no ethernet port, you can't use this arrangement. It needs to connect to an Ethernet Network Interface Card (NIC) in the PC. Most recent PCs have them built-in. Your modem (ADSL or Cable) connects via Ethernet (CAT5) cable to the Router, and your PC(s) plug into the router Ethernet ports (or connect via WiFi wireless).

This may be overload for such early days, but most BB users will get to this level quickly, as it is the best way to share the BB connection.

Good Luck!

Advertisement