Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclockers UK feedback

Options
  • 17-11-2003 1:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations/horror stories for Overclockers UK? I'm thinking about buying a monitor (and maybe later a full system) from them but I'm a little nervous about dealing with a company across the water for a relatively large purchase.

Sorry mods if this ain't appropriate, just feels like the right place to ask.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

The regulars/customers on the ocuk forums seem very happy with the sales service. I don't recall seeing any "complaint" threads in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You haven't looked too hard then. ;) I've used them quite a bit in the past and only had one or two problems with them. But their support and returns isn't what it used to these days IMO. http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6520 Kustom PC's http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/ has a good rep. I haven't used them myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

will tell you when i receive my brand spanking new Hyundai Q17 17" super duper lcd monitor hopefully in the middle of the week :D .

Ordered Saturday morning so will prolly be processed monday morning after that it's in the hands of the Gods , ie. parcel force.
    On the order as well was a cordless mouse and a couple of cables.

Carriage for this was a whopping €48 !! :eek:

Will keep you informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I've ordered a monitor, graphics card and several other components from them.

Delivery was 2 days, and when the graphics card developed a fault (corrupted screen even at bios) they RMA'd it without hastle. I'd definately buy from them again.

Originally posted by Kevok
    I've ordered a monitor, graphics card and several other components from them.

Delivery was 2 days, and when the graphics card developed a fault (corrupted screen even at bios) they RMA'd it without hastle. I'd definately buy from them again.

How much was postage with the original order and then again for the RMA? Was it a Gainward card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

For what it's worth, they rejected my credit card repeatadly for over a week, never being sure why it was happening. I wasted a lot of money on phone calls, only for someon to realise that they didn't accept Amex, and that's why it wasn't going through. They didn't even have the decency to apologise... I don't buy from them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the only problem i have with overclockers is their obsence delivery charges

i ordered a wd raptor and two case fans and the delivery was 22 sterling and it was meant to be 2 day delivery but took 4 :(

but other than that they are good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Overclockers reckon the monitor is "too heavy" to ship to Ireland, so I told them they can stuff the system too. Thanks for the feedback folks.

adam

Generally because the quality varies so much a monitor is one of those items I prefer to see before I buy.

I'll only buy computer parts from local retailers in emergencies these days. Their prices are loony-toons and most of them simply don't have the technical know-how to justify the extra expense.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

The only experience I've had with them (by proxy) was with a friends PC. Something was faulty and muggins got the job of testing it. Turned out to be the motherboard which was RMAed and returned as working. I'm a bit vague on what happened then, but my friend RMAed it a second time (with other bits) and they claimed the memory was faulty and suddenly all working parts (re)appeared. Thing is since I tried all the components in multiple configs with a myriad of other bits, I know what was faulty and what was not, and it wasn't the memory. The cynic in me tells me that they f-ed up the first RMA, and didn't want to refund him because it cost quite a bit. At the end of it all thou' he's a working machine so he's happy.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

I wouldn't buy a monitor off them, fairly expensive to ship here if they'll do it at all, plus if you have any problems you have to pay the shiping back to england. At least Komplett.ie have a dublin address to send returns to.

Komplett's stock of monitors is woeful, always has been. Dabs will have the same monitor in shortly and the shipping ain't too bad for something has big as a monitor, but I'm not mad about the company. Alienware has it too, but they're more expensive; although they are at least in Ireland. I dunno, I'll have to think about it.

When did Alienware start doing components by the way?

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'll only buy computer parts from local retailers in emergencies these days. Their prices are loony-toons and most of them simply don't have the technical know-how to justify the extra expense.

adam

You can be surprise. Do some shopping around and you can on occasionally find some stuff that almost the same as the UK. ITDirect keep a close eye on UK prices and generally their stuff is only slightly dearer than buying from the UK. The other places are a joke though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

£22 is expensive but if u buy loads of stuff (like i did last week) its still only £22 so i didnt mind, for smaller purchases i try yo buy from komplett

ocuk are fine but the returns arent the best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    the only problem i have with overclockers is their obsence delivery charges

i ordered a wd raptor and two case fans and the delivery was 22 sterling and it was meant to be 2 day delivery but took 4 :(

but other than that they are good

off topic here...

would you reccommend the raptor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Komplett's stock of monitors is woeful, always has been. Dabs will have the same monitor in shortly and the shipping ain't too bad for something has big as a monitor, but I'm not mad about the company. Alienware has it too, but they're more expensive; although they are at least in Ireland. I dunno, I'll have to think about it.

When did Alienware start doing components by the way?

adam

Have you ever tried to return something to dabs? I have, it wasn't pretty. Also most of the stuff i recieved arrived in a woeful condition, dents in boxes and the like. It all worked well enough, but as you can imagine a monitor maybe a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Here's my recent experience with Overclockers.

Granted it was less of a customer feedback problem but more of what can happen if things go wrong. Especially when a monitor is involved.....

OCUK came back to tell me that it was "policy" not to ship over a certain weight to Ireland. I asked them to give me one good reason why, they didn't respond. Silly bastards.

BTW, the dead pixel thing is why I'll never buy an LCD remotely. A dead pixel would stare me in the eye and bug me from the day I bought it until the day I threw it at the wall in annoyance. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Musta been a CRT, yeah?

• Advertisement

OCUK came back to tell me that it was "policy" not to ship over a certain weight to Ireland. I asked them to give me one good reason why, they didn't respond. Silly bastards.

When was this exactly? I bought my LCD 2 weeks ago and since that problem their policy may have changed. It was a bit of a headache for them.........
    BTW, the dead pixel thing is why I'll never buy an LCD remotely. A dead pixel would stare me in the eye and bug me from the day I bought it until the day I threw it at the wall in annoyance.

Exactly why i sent it back :(

Originally posted by quarryman
    When was this exactly? I bought my LCD 2 weeks ago and since that problem their policy may have changed. It was a bit of a headache for them.........
    Mine was a 22" CRT monitor quarryman, a lot heavier than an LCD display. It shouldn't be a headache though, the only difference should be price.

adam

Mine was a 22" CRT monitor quarryman, a lot heavier than an LCD display. It shouldn't be a headache though, the only difference should be price.

adam

nah what i mean was the return was headache. I thought maybe that since my return was some trouble that policy may have changed since.

Glad to see you won't be buying off them. Not because they are that bad but if something does go wrong it will cost a lot of money to return to them. Which you will have to pay for.

Regardless i'm sure this won't be the case. :) Best of luck. 22"? - very cool. :cool:

....BTW, the dead pixel thing is why I'll never buy an LCD remotely. A dead pixel would stare me in the eye and bug me from the day I bought it until the day I threw it at the wall in annoyance. :)

adam

Think some anger managment would be in order...

You should always see a monitor in person before buying. Same applies to CRTs aswell. I've had problems with them in the past too. My TFT was the display model in the store. I insisted on getting the display model.

Advertisement