Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor Upgrade

• 17-11-2003 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hey folks, this is probably a really dumb question.

I need extra speed but it's going to be a while before I can afford much(my rams maxed out too), so I'm upgrading my processor.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what's the highest processor I can get to replace a Celeron 500 in a socket 370 board, and where I might find one. I've seen a 1.3ghz celeron, but is it safe to just swap these over, and what's the dealio with fans/heatsinks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Basically if it fits in the socket it should be ok - BIOS update maybe required though... socket 370 went as high as coppermine P3s & Celerons so yeah around 1.3GHz is about as fast as you'll find... of course those processors will all have 133MHz bus so as long as your ram can handle it....

Hell even if you don't have a 370 board - I had an old slot 1 with a socket 370 converter board running a 1GHz P3 for my TV bawx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmm some 500celes ran on a 66 bus if i remember correctly.

If anything, avoid getting anther celeron!

is it a brand name machine? you will need to know what motherboard and chipset you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

Yep, it's a Compaq 5476 or something, intel 810e board, sdram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Throw an aul P3 in there instead. AFAIK the 810e chipset was pretty flexible so you could probably get a higher-end P3 to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Celeron's are cheap, but tbh, why not just get a cehap nForce, a duron and a 256meg stick of DDR?

• Advertisement
Advertisement