Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming tax back.

Options
  • 17-11-2003 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Previous employer being slow in getting a p45 to me, I've started being taxed in emergency rates. :(

What's the procedure for applying to Revenue to get my emergency tax back (whenI get my p45 obviously)? Revenue.ie is useless.

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You don't get back as a cheque which is the way I read your question

When your new employer gets a P45 you will get a cumulative tax deduction in your next wages and automatically get your 'overpaid' tax through your payroll monies i.e. you may gross say 1000 yo yo's and your tax allowance may be 1200 yo yo's so you will for one week at least be in the money

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by slave1
    When your new employer gets a P45 you will get a cumulative tax deduction in your next wages and automatically get your 'overpaid' tax through your payroll monies i.e. you may gross say 1000 yo yo's and your tax allowance may be 1200 yo yo's so you will for one week at least be in the money
    Is this optional, on a per-employer basis though? Basically I've been told I'll have to go through Revenue to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is no opting-in and opting-out, emergency tax is automatically applied and then automaticaly repaid if a P45 is produced in the same tax year.

If you haven't got your P45 within a month of leaving your last job talk to Revenue and come up with a sob story that you need the money and you wonder has your ex-employer been deducting properly ... Revenue will put a hot poker where ex-employer won't want it. At the same time hassle ex-employer.

You are coming up to the end of year so you really need to get that P45 well before the last pay day of the tax year (1/1/2003-31/12/2003). If you get it in by then, it is for your new employer to make repayment of the difference between would you should pay in tax and what was actually deducted in emergency tax.

If you don't you will need to claim the money back from Revenue – Form 11(?) and you will be issued with a Form PC21CQ Balancing Statement and a cheque. If you need help just drop into their helpful customer service people in Lower Mount Street who will help you fill in the form (bring P45 and P60 from new employer).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers Victor, that may come in useful.

I got onto my old boss, and allegedly she kicked some ass in HR, so I should have it by the end of the week.....hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Failing this - Contact the Revenue - stating that you have difficulty in obtaing your P45 from your employer.

This happened to me & after many many requests for my P45 - I had no choice but to contact the Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Cork
    Failing this - Contact the Revenue - stating that you have difficulty in obtaing your P45 from your employer.

This happened to me & after many many requests for my P45 - I had no choice but to contact the Revenue.

Were they helpful or did they not give a sh1t? Same happened to me, rang them and was told its your problem and they dont care.

Advertisement