Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB or Ethernet

• 17-11-2003 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi Guys,

I got connected 3 days ago with eircom [I-starter, self installation]. I'm using the modem they normally provide. I'm now wondering if, in terms of ping, it's better to use the USB port or the ethernet.
    I tried to test them both without noticing a big difference.

What would you suggest anyway?

And another question: I have only one phone socket at home so at the moment I'm just using a 6 meter normal phone cable do you think it's too long and can effect the quality of the connection? Should I use an ethernet cable instead?

Thanks for answering. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Probably best to use the ethernet interface. Less CPU overhead and less issues with drivers.

The CPU overhead is unlikely to be too noticable on a fast machine, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Flavio
    I tried to test them both without noticing a big difference.
    You answered your own question.

For all intents and purposes, there is no performance difference between Etherent and USB (as far as a 512k DSL connetcion goes). There is a slight overhead with a USB connction, but you aren't going to notice it on an up to date PC.

The major advantage of Ethernet over USB is flexibility - you can connect a lot more stuff with ethernet than with USB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Flavio

OK, thanks lads :)

And what about my second question?
    I have only one phone socket at home so at the moment I'm just using a 6 meter normal phone cable. Do you think it's too long and can effect the quality of the connection? Should I use an ethernet cable instead?

Any idea?

thx

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

What about USB 2.0 and Ethernet?

I doubt there is much difference there either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Flavio
    And what about my second question?
    If you have to ask, then you phone connection probably isn't making much difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

My phone cable is 15 meters. Don't worry buot it. Just make sure it doesn't get bent or tangled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Flavio,

The two wires carrying your signal have travelled up to 2.5 km from the exchange to you, so a few feet either way on your indoor cable will not affect it. Only if you have it split up with answering machines, display phones and faxes etc which eat signal. Just make sure that the first port of call for your telephone line is your broadband filter/splitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

shouldnt make a difference unless the quality of the line is poor. (at least what ive found)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Flavio

Thanks a lot guys,

very nice.

See ya.

Flavio

Advertisement