Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Nice one, it might allow me now to ditch the loft aerial for the BBC Multiplex. Noticed that Divis DAB has been on reduced power recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

As has FM, for the last few weeks.

Official press release.....

BBC Digital Radio expands in Northern Ireland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/02_february/23/ni_digital_radio.shtml
    Michael Grade, Chairman of the BBC, has announced that Northern Ireland is to get three new transmitters which will double DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) coverage in the north-west and west.

The new DAB enabled transmitters will be sited at Brougher in Tyrone, Limavady and Sheriff's Mountain in Londonderry.

The first two of these transmitters will come on stream in late spring with the third following in the summer.

Digital radio listeners will be able to tune in to the BBC's portfolio of new digital stations - 1Xtra, Five Live Sports Extra, 6 Music, BBC 7 and the Asian Network - as well as the BBC's existing national radio stations - Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, Radio Five Live and the World Service - and enjoy the benefits of digital audio broadcasting (DAB) with its robust reception and clear sound quality.

These stations join BBC Radio Ulster which is already available on DAB digital radio.

Around 6 million people across the UK have been brought into BBC national digital radio coverage since work began in August 2003 and the BBC is planning to expand coverage to 90% of the population.

Addressing the Board of Governors and local community representatives at a dinner in BBC Broadcasting House in Belfast on Tuesday 22 February, Mr Grade said:

"It's our job as Governors to represent the public interest, to be the voice of the licence fee payers and to ensure that their concerns are fully taken into account when the BBC makes its decisions.

"I'm very happy tonight to be able to announce that the BBC is commissioning three new DAB-enabled transmitters in Northern Ireland at Brougher, Limavady and Sheriff's Mountain in Londonderry.

"These will effectively double the DAB coverage and bring benefit to large numbers of people in the north-west and west of Northern Ireland."

Paying tribute to the work of the Broadcasting Council of Northern Ireland he added:

"One of the key ways we keep in touch with our audiences here is through the work of the Northern Ireland Broadcasting Council.

"The BBC's broadcasting councils do really remarkable work. That work isn't always as well recognised as it should be. So I'd like to take the opportunity to pay tribute this evening.

"They identified this 'digital deficit' as a major policy issue. They pressed the BBC hard to speed up very significantly its roll-out of DAB in Northern Ireland. They made their case with vigour and persistence. And it worked."

He also outlined how BBC Northern Ireland is keeping pace with the changes in digital broadcasting:

"The BBC has now begun to experiment with ultra-local television. Taking a small geographical area and producing ten minutes an hour of truly relevant local news and information, available on digital television and broadband.

"And because it's digital, it's available on demand, around the clock, whenever viewers want it. The BBC hopes to start proper pilots soon - and if it works out, it's proposed to develop up to 60 such areas around the UK.

"By the end of the year Northern Ireland will be the first region of the UK to have near 100 per cent broadband coverage and BBC Northern Ireland will be piloting local TV on broadband in the Coleraine area."

Welcoming Mr Grade on his second visit to Northern Ireland in the last 12 months, the Controller of BBC Northern Ireland Anna Carragher said:

"These digital announcements are a signal of the BBC's commitment to audiences in Northern Ireland. We are committed to bringing exciting and unique services that fully reflect the lives and concerns of all of our viewers and listeners."

The monthly meeting of the BBC Governors is being held in Belfast today (Wednesday 23 February).

The 12 BBC Governors act as trustees of the public interest and monitor the performance of the BBC on behalf of licence fee payers.

The National Governor for Northern Ireland is Fabian Monds. He chairs the 12-strong Broadcasting Council in Northern Ireland.

The council holds regular public meetings to gather the views of audiences and the Board of Governors consults them on proposals affecting Northern Ireland and the objectives set for the BBC.

Notes to Editors

Listeners will need a DAB digital radio to receive the BBC's digital radio broadcasts.

Existing digital radio listeners in the new digital radio areas should carry out an autotune to scan and store the newly available BBC services in their radio set's station list.

For advice on receiving BBC digital radio and to check coverage, listeners can ring 08700 100123 or visit bbc.co.uk/digitalradio and refer to the coverage map (the coverage by postcode feature is not immediately updated).

Crown Castle International is responsible for the roll-out of the new digital radio transmitters.

The BBC has five digital-only radio networks, all launched in 2002:-

1Xtra - the best in new black music;

Five Live Sports Extra - the home of live sport with exclusive coverage of live events;

6 Music - the best of contemporary and classic rock and pop;

BBC 7 - the best of BBC comedy, drama and books from the archive;

the Asian Network - news and music from the British Asian scene.

Listeners can also receive Radios 1 to Five Live on DAB, along with more than 30 of the BBC's English local radio and national stations.

More than 1.5 million adults are listening to the BBC's new digital-only stations each week (Rajar).

There are now nearly 1.3 million DAB sets in the UK (GFK).

Digital radio offers very robust reception and does not suffer from the interference and fading that can happen with AM and FM radio.

Digital radio is a more efficient means of broadcasting. More networks can be transmitted, offering more choice for listeners.

Digital radio can transmit text and data with the audio signal. A small screen on digital radios carries rolling text telling listeners what music they're listening to, who's being interviewed and giving phone numbers and email and website addresses.

Digital radio can also be received via digital television (satellite, cable and Freeview) and the internet (more than 10 million hours of BBC radio is listened to online each month - live and on demand).

Digital radios are available from over 6,500 retail outlets across the UK (both large high street chains and small independent retailers) and can also be bought on the internet.

Hi-fi tuners and micro systems start at around £100. Hand-held products are priced from £80; and kitchen radios start at £50. CD/cassette radios start at £79; DAB clock radios start at £65.

DAB digital radio is a relatively new technology, so prices will continue to fall as the market matures.

Finland's YLE closes down DAB radio services
    The Finnish Broadcasting Company-YLE is suspending its DAB digital broadcasting services as commercial operators have shown no interest in the medium. DAB, Digital Audio broadcasting, arrived in Finland in 1997 as an energy-efficient means of radio transmission. Many channels can be broadcast within a single matrix and received by a suitable radio.

Although enthusiasm has been great in some European countries, for example, the United Kingdom, manufacturers have been reluctant to bring cheap mass-produced sets on the market in other countries. Commercial broadcasters in Finland have shied away from DAB due to the prohibitive costs of setting up a new radio distribution network.

YLE has offered listeners all its available channels via DAB in the south of the country in addition to a few separate outlets including an all-day spoken word service, a classical music channel and two foreign language services YLE World and YLE Mondo.

YLE will continue digital radio broadcasts via digi-TV and some broadcasts will be made available via the internet. The company will monitor technological developments to determine what appropriate multimedia distribution technology could compensate for the demise of DAB.

If international developments, however, lead to the adoption of DAB as a pan-European distribution standard, YLE will retain the means to resume DAB services.

(RNW Media Network)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Would a Band-III / UHF signal amplifier would help DAB reception? I know it helps analog signals but have never tried it with digital. (I live in Stillorgan). It seemed to help reception when I was in SW Donegal when I tried it once but from there, the signal was so weak that nothing would resolve.

When did the Divis DAB transmitter go online? When I last tried my portable DAB radio (one sold by Maplin Electronics) in the North around Omagh, I could only (occasionally!) get the Score multiplex on the bus, though I didn't try searching for any others. That was in mid-January.

• Advertisement

byrnefm wrote:
    Would a Band-III / UHF signal amplifier would help DAB reception? I know it helps analog signals but have never tried it with digital. (I live in Stillorgan). It seemed to help reception when I was in SW Donegal when I tried it once but from there, the signal was so weak that nothing would resolve.

When did the Divis DAB transmitter go online? When I last tried my portable DAB radio (one sold by Maplin Electronics) in the North around Omagh, I could only (occasionally!) get the Score multiplex on the bus, though I didn't try searching for any others. That was in mid-January.

A Band III amplifier could help, unlike DTT there should be no stray analogue TV signals now in the Republic to interfere with DAB. Make sure that the Band III bit covers up to 230 MHz.

The Divis BBC DAB Transmitter has been up and running for many years (1998 I believe) however unless you are on top of a hill I'd doubt you'd get portable reception from it (I've an attic aerial for mine). The Score multiplex transmits from Brougher Mountain and Strabane so in theroy covers Omagh quite well, although some parts of Omagh have always been nortorious reception blackspots for TV and Radio.

I gave my DAB portable radio another go yesterday on channels 11A thru 12D (just in case). No reception at all in Stillorgan, though it's probably because I'm too low down. I didn't try an antenna booster. I might try on the way to Dundrum tomorrow - the ground along the way is a little higher.

An aside - I tried out the L-band for the fun of it (my radio is dual-band) and around channel LP (I think - it's been a while since I've checked), I get a pulsing >>> (3 'bars'). Anyone know what that might be? I noticed it on a different channel when visiting Portsmouth in Hampshire last December.

Ok, I'm a week late... I took my portable DAB radio (a LaGIO R105) on a walk last night from Dundrum to Stillorgan and tested for the 12D signal wherever I could find a clear spot looking towards north Dublin. There were three such spots, coming up to Dundrum along Lr Kilmacud Road but not a blip :( ...

The top floor of the new Dundrum shopping centre (in the House of Fraser store) has a great view of Dublin - I wonder could one perhaps get any signal there?

It appers that the BBC have now started making test transmissions from Brougher Mountain as when I switched on the set this morning channels on the BBC Multiplex were on full strength as opposed to 2/3 max coming from Divis recently. A switch from the loft aerial to putting on the whip aerial seems to confirm this as reception of BBC services is now available here in the house (previously it wasn't).

Yes this a fact,check this out http://www.bbc.co.uk/digitalradio/news/

I live in Collooney,Co.Sligo and my DAB tuner can now pick up all the BEEB digital radio output with a signal strength of 6/8 from my roof aerial!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Just to add to reception reports. A mate reports the BBC mux is ok on a telescopic in front room near killiney facing north.. No sign of the commercial mux which carries radio ulster from black mountain. I would assume a 3-5 element vhf yagi would solve that issue.

Radio is a panasonic.

DAB in car....

Well, this weekend, I had the joys of travelling around with an in-car DAB radio, and it is noticable to hear the BBC DAB mux around Northern Ireland now. Some black holes remain west of Enniskillen, but, as reported from Sligo, an outside Band III seems to do the job.

But, coming down south, the BBC mux is listenable as far south as Lavey/Ballyjamesduff junction on the N3. It will be interesting when I try back in Kells if the Brougher BBC mux is getable there.

Any news on the power its transmitting at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

I'm headin to England next week so I'm tempted to get my hands on a DAB receiver. Anyone got any recommendations for types / brands? Are handhelds any good, or is a kitchen type the best to go for? All opinions appreciated...Ciaran.

If you're traveling about by car, a hand held one is probably your best bet. I've a LaGIO R105, which is supposed to be pretty sensitive, although I can't verify this as I don't have any others to compare it to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 westportman

Can you get the BBC DAB in mayo at all??

Hi, no reports of it working in Mayo, even Westport.

aka_Ciaran, the best of the kitchen-type radios, go for the Roberts RD-8, which is the newer model of the one I have, which has record and "pauseplus" functions, and is both mains and battery operated. DAB pocket radios seem to be best in strong coverage areas, and not on the fringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Ok cheers. Will be in north Sligo in the next few weeks, but we're right beside the beach down at sea level...not sure if it needs to be higher up but hopefully it will pick up something. I'll report back if I do manage to get a signal.

Height helps for sure if you only have a telescopic aerial. Truskmore might be in the way if you are at sea-level... a good indicator would be your analogue BBC/ITV reception? If a strong signal from Brougher comes in, you stand a reasonable chance....

Now, as opposed to other trips I have undertaken with my DAB radio, I decided to leave the radio on, and travel with it, to see if I could get any signal on the move.... Note: not the same as last weekend where it was a proper JVC in-car DAB, this is just my trusty Roberts RD-5 on the front seat with the telescopic aerial up :)

Results were as follows....
    • Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan: You can get DAB at street level! Best spot I found was on the Oldcastle Road (Liffey Meats).
    • Oldcastle, Co. Meath: You can get it at Loughcrew, and as terrain is similar to Ballyjamesduff, who knows further down the hill.
    • Between Virginia and Bailieborough (R178): Especially after the Killinkere/Cross junction, you can get this at ground level most of the way on this route.
    • Moynalty: Specifically, the townland of Ballymakane.

What is very heartening with this news, is that I may be able to get DAB properly down with the little bit of height my existing TV aerial has (35 ft) and a proper Band III aerial and amp...

Happy days ahead?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Conor S

Im receiving DAB about 2 miles south of Ardee withh the following equipment.

Receiver-Pure Digital 'The Bug'
    Antenna-Maxview 3 element external yagi (reception is reasonable with internal rod antenna supplied with receiver)

BBC Multiplex Divis-100% Signal
    Score Digital Multiplex Northern Ireland-98% Signal

I am also receiving the all data/epg broadcasts from the BBC aswell.

Conor :D

• Advertisement

Traveled up to SW Donegal for the weekend and took my LaGIO R105 radio with me on the bus to see what the reception was like in the North this time. I did the same during the May Day holiday weekend and had really only about five minutes continuous reception between Cavan and Pettigo - and about a minute continuous after I left Pettigo. This time, however, the reception was drastically improved - while I couldn't get reception before the North, I was getting two to three '>' of a signal after the McDonald's on the Cavan bypass, before losing the signal (BBC, that is) and picking up about one to two '>' for the next 15 minutes in the North. After that, apart from some brief outtages, I had continuous BBC reception throughout! Granted, I had to keep the radio at window level but other than that, it was fine. I think the route the bus takes is via Omagh.

I did notice that while the BBC DAB signal has improved from zilch to quite decent in the last two months, the Score signal has not. The bus got stuck outside the Kesh PSNI station for about 18 minutes, waiting for five pipe bands to pass by (practicing for the Orange Day parades?), and I was able to listen to the BBC DAB multipex. No Score signal there, whatsover, as was the case in other areas. I wonder do they have any intention on improving their coverage?

As a final test, I tried to get a signal from Kilcar, SW Donegal. Nada, but I really wasn't expecting any anyway from my portable radio. I'd really like to try from the top of Slieve League but don't think that's going to happen any time soon :rolleyes:

I think the route the bus takes is via Omagh.
    If it goes via Cavan to Pettigo I'd say it's more likely to pass through Enniskillen.
    I did notice that while the BBC DAB signal has improved from zilch to quite decent in the last two months...
    The switch on of a new transmitter at Brougher Mountain will definitely help matters there.
    ...the Score signal has not
    Conversly the Score Network hasn't had any changes.
    I did notice that while the BBC DAB signal has improved from zilch to quite decent in the last two months, the Score signal has not. The bus got stuck outside the Kesh PSNI station for about 18 minutes, waiting for five pipe bands to pass by (practicing for the Orange Day parades?), and I was able to listen to the BBC DAB multipex. No Score signal there, whatsover, as was the case in other areas. I wonder do they have any intention on improving their coverage?
    The BBC Multiplex from Brougher in most cases seems to be a lot stronger than Score's. No knowledge of wherever Score plans to improve coverage. I find it surprising that no reception of Score could be got in Kesh considering that they are basically on the same site and that analogue TV and FM radio from Brougher can be easily got there, though there is a TV relay in nearby Ederney. Score's coverage certainly seems suspect, even though they should in theroy have most of the West of Northern Ireland well covered with two 5kW transmitters at Brougher and Strabane.

If it goes via Cavan to Pettigo I'd say it's more likely to pass through Enniskillen.
    You're spot on - my mind went blank when writing the last update.
    I find it surprising that no reception of Score could be got in Kesh considering that they are basically on the same site and that analogue TV and FM radio from Brougher can be easily got there, though there is a TV relay in nearby Ederney. Score's coverage certainly seems suspect, even though they should in theory have most of the West of Northern Ireland well covered with two 5kW transmitters at Brougher and Strabane.
    I can't explain it either - in most places where I got the BBC DAB multiplex, I got Score's but not in all.

I did another test on the way back from Donegal - it seems I was a bit over-enthusiastic about the reception in areas, well, at least between Kesh and Enniskillen - the reception between these two towns is too poor to listen to on my portable. One thing I also noticed that I lost reception in nearly every town I went through (Kesh being a notable exception).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

byrnefm wrote:
    As a final test, I tried to get a signal from Kilcar, SW Donegal. Nada, but I really wasn't expecting any anyway from my portable radio. I'd really like to try from the top of Slieve League but don't think that's going to happen any time soon :rolleyes:

Heh, that was asking a lot! :) As it stands, Kilcar gets its TV channels from a deflector up the side of a hill, same for Carrick, Glencolmcille, etc.

I did attempt to climb Sl League one day, but it was day after a wedding, and I was too ill to make it! :D But it would sure be worth a try testing for DAB!

I wonder if they've invented handheld DVB-t TV's yet?

I wonder if they've invented handheld DVB-t TV's yet?
    They do exist but they ain't mass market yet.

Back to topic, the BBC switched on their DAB transmitter on Sherrif's Mountain in Derry early last week. ERP is reported to be 6.2kW, which is a bit stronger than Score's power (5kW) but then again the BBC aren't making use of the Strabane mast like Score are.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

As listed before by DMC, looking north from this area signal is possible, although I will have to invest in an antennae to ensure constant reasonalbe signal strenth. Onyl the BBC mux on a Pure Evoke 1xt.

If I can get DAB signal, will I also be able to pick up freeview??

thanks

R

Very likely with suitable antennas, redzer. If DAB can come throught from Divis on that low of power, then it should be possible for Freeview (barring co-channel interference)

Muxs 1 & 2 from Divis would be very difficult to receive with co-channel interference from Three Rock. Muxs A & B would also be tricky with potential co-channel from Mt.Leinster. Only Muxs C & D would there be a decent chance I'd say.

I'd be surprised tbh if anything on UHF from Mt Leinster made it across the terrain between there and Dalkey.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    I'd be surprised tbh if anything on UHF from Mt Leinster made it across the terrain between there and Dalkey.
    As I say in these situations Earthman, you'd almost certainly know better than I would with local knowledge! :o

Advertisement