Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Souriau wrote: »
    Which transmitters have DAB and does it mean other transmitters came online for DAB?

Clermont Carn, Three Rock, Kippure, Woodcock Hill and Spur Hill. No new transmitters. Coverage map here - http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/faq_map.html

Population coverage is 54% according to RTÉ.

No further transmitters will be rolled because there is
    - No national policy on Digital Radio (BAI)
    - No interest from the commercial radio sector
    - No cash, RTÉ/RTÉNL has spent around €70 million switching the transmission network from analogue to digital since 2008

Irish Times article posted here from 3 years ago on the situation then, nothing has changed since - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68784944&postcount=23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Plus the independent muxes in the South East and Dublin.

There IS interest from the commercial sector, possibly not from all of the FM stations though, but the BAI have their thumb up their bum about it, despite promising to 'investigate' it in 2013.

There is a LOT of interest in it from organisations wishing to run niche content stations only on DAB.

Which, IMO, is the future of DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mahargwa

Last night I was receiving (in Dublin) more than 50 stations including lots of BBCs. . This was following a rescan.

This morning they are all gone. What's going on here? Are the BBC stations going to be available on DAB? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭zg3409

mahargwa wrote: »
    Last night I was receiving (in Dublin) more than 50 stations including lots of BBCs. . This was following a rescan.

This morning they are all gone. What's going on here? Are the BBC stations going to be available on DAB? Anyone know?

The UK stations are not broadcast from the Republic of Ireland, so you picked them up from Wales or Northern Ireland. Due to the good weather (high pressure) signals travel a bit futher than normal. If you had a dedicated DAB aerial roof mounted you might get the UK stations more reliably but probably not reliable enough. The most reliable solution for UK stations is via other means, such as satellite, cable TV radio, or an internet radio etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Did a rescan on a Roberts Gemini 29 DAB clock radio today, 16 services found on DAB Ireland Mux1

RTE R1 ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    RTE R1+ (no audio) ... [Stereo 48 Kbps]
    RTE R1x (RTÉ Radio extra, RTE Choice audio) ... [Mono 80 Kbps]

RTE RnaG ... [Stereo J 112 Kbps]

Retune (RTE Jr/RTE Chill audio) ... [Mono 80 Kbps]
    Retune (RTE 2XM audio) ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    Retune (RTE GOLD audio) ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    Retune (RTE R1x audio) ... [Mono 80 Kbps]
    Retune (RTE Pulse audio) ... [Stereo J 112 Kbps]

RTE 2FM+ (no audio) ... [Stereo 48 Kbps]
    RTE 2FM ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    RTE 2XM ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]

RTE GOLD ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    RTE Jr (0730-2100) / RTE Chill (2100-0700) ... [Mono 80 Kbps]
    RTELYRIC ... [Stereo J 160 Kbps]
    RTEPULSE ... [Stereo J 112 Kbps]

I presume those services at 48 kbps in stereo are DAB+ ?

• Advertisement

No.

This is due to atmospheric conditions, nothing more.

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    I presume those services at 48 kbps in stereo are DAB+ ?

I didn't have a DAB+ receiver to check.

Just did a rescan/autotune 14 services found, RTE R1+/ RTE 2FM+ are both gone.

The Cush wrote: »

The non UK versions of Roberts DAB radios receive DAB+, so your Roberts may very well be DAB+ compatible.

I don't think 48 kbps joint stereo is viable in standard DAB. Many countries that use DAB+ have bitrates of 48 kbps stereo.

Looks like RTE are testing DAB+

The non UK versions of Roberts DAB radios receive DAB+, so your Roberts may very well be DAB+ compatible.

My DAB radio, the CRD-29 model, is over 6 years old and purchased from Currys or Argos so no DAB+.
    I don't think 48 kbps joint stereo is viable in standard DAB. Many countries that use DAB+ have bitrates of 48 kbps stereo.

Looks like RTE are testing DAB+

That's possible. Hadn't thought of it at the time, assumed it was a blank carrier for RTÉ R1 LW at the time.

I had a look at the info for the German DAB+ multiplexes and almost all stations use in excess of 48 kbps. The Ireland mux is carrying 5 duplicate stations at the moment under the name "Retune" so little extra capacity until they go I guess.

They're not extra channels as such, just 'duplicates' which use no bandwidth, in order that people retune since RTE updated their SIDs.

• Advertisement

They're not extra channels as such, just 'duplicates' which use no bandwidth, in order that people retune since RTE updated their SIDs.

So they are just (the old) SIDs linking to an existing audio stream?

Regarding RTE R1+/ RTE 2FM+, were these DAB+ tests?

Just heard an ad on RTE radio 1 saying to retune your digital radio and that there was more info on rte.ie

Of course there is nothing on the home page of RTE.ie but I dit find this:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/page/rte-radio-ways-to-listen.html#analogue-digital which mentions retuning

zg3409 wrote: »
    Of course there is nothing on the home page of RTE.ie but I dit find this:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/page/rte-radio-ways-to-listen.html#analogue-digital which mentions retuning

They put the info on Aertel p169 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86352442#post86352442

I notice RTE Choice has been removed from Saorview.

I notice RTE Choice has been removed from Saorview.

Yes I saw that, LCN 207 is still there without name and audio but with "Tá an tseribhís seo dúnta" in the programme information banner (This service has closed - in Irish).

When I retuned the DAB radio the other day RTE R1x was carrying the same programme schedule as RTE Choice. Looking at the schudule it will carry a mix of RTÉ R1 catch-up and overseas programmes e.g. PBS, Deutsche Welle etc. and RTE's LW opt out programmes e.g. Mass/Service on a Sunday.

Both RTÉ Choice and RTÉ R1x continue to appear in the RTÉ radio schedule. No mention of it in the new season radio launch.

This old RTÉ digital radio page still has an RTÉ Choice page and link to the RTÉ Choice player.

Same schedules since earlier this year according to this post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83167493

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Yes I saw that, LCN 207 is still there without name and audio but with "Tá an tseribhís seo dúnta" in the programme information banner (This service has closed - in Irish).

When I retuned the DAB radio the other day RTE R1x was carrying the same programme schedule as RTE Choice. Looking at the schudule it will carry a mix of RTÉ R1 catch-up and overseas programmes e.g. PBS, Deutsche Welle etc. and RTE's LW opt out programmes e.g. Mass/Service on a Sunday.

Both RTÉ Choice and RTÉ R1x continue to appear in the RTÉ radio schedule. No mention of it in the new season radio launch.

This old RTÉ digital radio page still has an RTÉ Choice page and link to the RTÉ Choice player.

Same schedules since earlier this year according to this post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83167493

I too noticed that 207 was removed on a Saorview Approved TV in work yesterday morning

RTÉ Choice is still on UPC 941 now and is a duplicate of RTÉ Radio 1 Extra

I too noticed that 207 was removed on a Saorview Approved TV in work yesterday
    morning

Even a standard definition Freeview receiver will pick up radio stations on Saorview, complete with EPG information.
    RTÉ Choice is still on UPC 941 now and is a duplicate of RTÉ Radio 1 Extra

Indeed, not much point in it being there if RTE Radio 1 extra is doing the same thing.

Is there any difference between the long wave and FM services of Radio One these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

"Mr. wrote:
    Is there any difference between the long wave and FM services of Radio One these days ?
    Mass on a Sunday morning is LW only, as is some sport (e.g. During the lions tour, most of the none test matches were LW only).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If I wanted to install an external antenna to pickup as best as possible the UK NI DAB services, what would I install?
    I understand that atmospheric conditions will be key in terms of reception so I'm not banking on perfect service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mahargwa

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    If I wanted to install an external antenna to pickup as best as possible the UK NI DAB services, what would I install?
    I understand that atmospheric conditions will be key in terms of reception so I'm not banking on perfect service.

Depends how near you are to the transmitter and if you have line-of-sight to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Depends how near you are to the transmitter and if you have line-of-sight to it

So it would be a roof installation around the Meath/Dublin border

Well if you had one of the VHF TV aerials that used to pick up RTE before analogue switch-off, that would work.

Do you or people in your area get BBC via an aerial from Northern Ireland. If so then DAB might be quite reliable. A rooftop DAB aerial would be needed, and ideally a VHF amplifier. As suggested the old large VHF TV aerials will work, which are practically the same as a DAB aerial. They are quite large as they are VHF Band III. It may also cost you a bit to install and ideally include a masthead amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

I have retuned my Pure One Mini and still only get RTE 1 Extra and RTW 2xm. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Are there any restriction from Clermont Carn's DAB transmission toward North?

Coverage map here (Sept 2008) - http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/images/DAB-map-large.jpg

For some strange reason, at the time when Digital One started (26th July) I received the RTE multiplex from CC on a rescan. The signal was very week and broken but it was there on several rescans. It disappeared the next day.

Not sure if they were trying something out or not, or if it was conditions and pure coincidence, but I've never been able to receive the RTE mux from CC before or since, and that's despite having perfect analogue radio and Saorview reception.

So it must be restricted to the north for some reason.

Someone did say a while back that the DAB transmitting aerial at CC was directional to the southwest, so that would explain the lack of DAB from CC at this location (Jordanstown Co. Antrim).

Did a rescan on a Roberts Gemini 29 DAB clock radio today, 16 services found on DAB Ireland Mux1

RTE R1x (RTÉ Radio 1 extra) ... [Mono 80 Kbps]

Scrolling text - Please Rescan/Autotune your Digital Radio set to update services

RTE R1+/ RTE 2FM+ are both back again after a retune, 16 services found on DAB Ireland Mux1. Anyone out there with a DAB+ receiver to confirm that they're DAB+ tests? I should be able to check later this week or early next week, I've ordered the new Roberts ecologic 15 DAB/ DAB+/ FM RDS clock radio :D

RTE R1x (RTÉ Radio extra) ... [Mono 80 Kbps]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

For some strange reason, at the time when Digital One started (26th July) I received the RTE multiplex from CC on a rescan. The signal was very week and broken but it was there on several rescans. It disappeared the next day.

Maybe it was coming from Dublin's Three Rock (due to atmospheric conditions) rather than 'CC'.
    BTW this is on Aertel P169
    Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Clermont Carn, Co Louth

Due to essential infrastructure work, transmission from Clermont Carn will be off air for up to 6 hours from 10am on 13th September.

This work will affect the DAB Radio service from this transmission site.

RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

Advertisement