Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Quite honestly, I despair for DAB in this country. No policy, no regulation, no hope, from what I can see. It is a massive opportunity being lost in my view and, for some years now, I just cannot figure out why we are so behind the 8 ball in this country.

Simon, am I reading you right in that you are saying RTE Gold (and some others) are only in mono on DAB? Really? I hadn't noticed that (in Dublin).

And as for Dusty Rhodes, if he is the person who owns the MUX, why has he taken his stations off it? All 80s was an enjoyable listen on DAB. Hardly inspires too much confidence in the platform.

I have long gone past the point of hoping that the BAI will do something about the DAB situation in Ireland, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

The question still remains, will there be DAB+ rollout across Ireland? The BAI should make a statement on this issue. If it's not going to happen well then please say so. Who is holding information back or do they know what there doing at all.
    A good job was done with saorview but even that is not run property with 2 HD channels idle for the last 16 months.
    I give up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭StreetLight

DublinKev wrote: »
    Quite honestly, I despair for DAB in this country. No policy, no regulation, no hope, from what I can see. It is a massive opportunity being lost in my view and, for some years now, I just cannot figure out why we are so behind the 8 ball in this country.

Simon, am I reading you right in that you are saying RTE Gold (and some others) are only in mono on DAB? Really? I hadn't noticed that (in Dublin).

And as for Dusty Rhodes, if he is the person who owns the MUX, why has he taken his stations off it? All 80s was an enjoyable listen on DAB. Hardly inspires too much confidence in the platform.

I have long gone past the point of hoping that the BAI will do something about the DAB situation in Ireland, sadly.

This link from dbdb.ie should explain where Dusty Rhodes stands at the moment:
    http://www.dbdb.ie/q2-2014-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Thanks for that Streetlight, seems logical enough, in fairness.

What puzzles me is how long this whole "trial" service has been going on? How long can a trial continue before the judge dismisses the case? The judge, in this case, being the BAI seems to be totally awol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

DublinKev wrote: »
    Thanks for that Streetlight, seems logical enough, in fairness.

What puzzles me is how long this whole "trial" service has been going on? How long can a trial continue before the judge dismisses the case? The judge, in this case, being the BAI seems to be totally awol.

If you think that's bad, don't even look at the Electric Car threads and how the whole infrastructure is not fit for purpose.(Sorry for crossing threads)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

whats dab like for live sport..is it slower than am/fm?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Alsalmo

wadacrack wrote: »
    whats dab like for live sport..is it slower than am/fm?

If you mean sitting in the stand and listening to the radio commentary, it is probably not of much use due to "lag" in digital broadcasting, both on TV and radio.

Typically, I believe DAB radio is about 6 seconds behind live, so you would hear Marty Morrissey or Michael Corcoran calling a scoring chance long after you knew the result.

This would not be as big an issue for those listening at home, or in the pub, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Downtown Country now testing on the NI local mux at 80 kbps mono.

Launches on Wednesday at 3.15 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Needed a radio with spotify and ended up with a Roberts that has Dab also
    Getting quite strong indoor dab reception with just the units telescopic aerial from Kippure here south of Arklow,I was quite surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NorthDown2

I came up the M1 a couple of weeks ago from Dublin Airport. Was playing with the radio on way up although listened to RTE Gold as enjoy it on DTT at home. Two things I noticed - commercial mux received - ri Ra and ucb seemed to be on it. Which tx is this and when did it start?

Other thing is Rte Gold dropped not far after crossing the border - I only got as far as Newry South exit before it dropped out. A pity there's no directional aim up here - I was hoping the signal might have held for a few miles more.

• Advertisement

What I could never understand after 12 years of this thread is there is still no national rollout of DAB/DAB+ in Ireland, what in the hell is wrong? What are they waiting for? All we have is trials and tests, when is this bull**** going to stop and launch this format for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

BAI have thumb up rectum about it, basically.

The BAI are funded by and therefore heavily influenced by their stations, who don't want any more competition.

Which is why they're studiously ignoring it, despite it being written into law that they should be increasing listener choice and station plurality.

That's it, in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭galtee boy

What I could never understand after 12 years of this thread is there is still no national rollout of DAB/DAB+ in Ireland, what in the hell is wrong? What are they waiting for? All we have is trials and tests, when is this bull**** going to stop and launch this format for once.

The only way there will be a national roll out of DAB in Ireland, is if the EU decide that there will be a Europe wide shutdown of FM by say 2020, and everybody must switch to digital radio, like they did for digital TV. And I don't see any such directive coming from the EU anytime soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

galtee boy wrote: »
    The only way there will be a national roll out of DAB in Ireland, is if the EU decide that there will be a Europe wide shutdown of FM by say 2020, and everybody must switch to digital radio, like they did for digital TV. And I don't see any such directive coming from the EU anytime soon.

And I hope there never is. FM is made for radio, DVB-T is made for TV - better quality, better bandwidth use, better coverage, lower cost. FM is cheap receiver, cheap transmitter, better coverage, better quality (because the broadcasters cannot squeeze and squeeze).

Long live FM.

A pity there's no directional aim up here - I was hoping the signal
    might have held for a few miles more

Indeed, considering how strong FM and DTT signals from Clermont Cairn are around here (Jordanstown, Newtownabbey), DAB from the same site really should be a lot stronger.

I cant figure out why it's so restricted to the north. Are there any plans to improve the situation like they did with DTT after ASO ?

Still, I suppose there's always the internet and DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

will the Brougher Mountain dab coverage come to the Cavan and Monahan anytime soon I like to hear absolute classic rock and planet rock.
    thanks for your feedback

Mr Snow wrote: »
    will the Brougher Mountain dab coverage come to the Cavan and Monahan anytime soon I like to hear absolute classic rock and planet rock.
    thanks for your feedback

You wont get it unless you have a clear path to the signal.Its not intended for the Republic,only licenced for the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Indeed, considering how strong FM and DTT signals from Clermonit Cairn are around here (Jordanstown, Newtownabbey), DAB from the same site really should be a lot stronger.

I cant figure out why it's so restricted to the north. Are there any plans to improve the situation like they did with DTT after ASO ?

Still, I suppose there's always the internet and DTT.

I believe , as often discussed there is a deliberate null of CC to the north east,which I assume will not be removed..
    I have always received RTE Gold from a Cheap STB box, which works on 12 v DC. This allows the music to play around the house even when the power goes, as it often does in S.Down.

This DAB is turning out to be a joke in Ireland, don't really understand what's going on. It would be better if they scrapped it totally and concentrate on DTT and get commercial and local radio on in. RTE have done a good job with all their services on DTT and other digital platforms, commercial radio needs to be helped to get on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Meanwhile our neighbour has started the countdown to a digital radio future - http://www.getdigitalradio.com/dab-news/view/559

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Cush wrote: »
    Meanwhile our neighbour has started the countdown to a digital radio future - http://www.getdigitalradio.com/dab-news/view/559
    Ridiculous nonsense. The spectrum has no better use than audio broadcasting & the replacements are no improvement on FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

This DAB is turning out to be a joke in Ireland, don't really understand what's going on. It would be better if they scrapped it totally and concentrate on DTT and get commercial and local radio on in. RTE have done a good job with all their services on DTT and other digital platforms, commercial radio needs to be helped to get on board.

So on top of forking over €10k for a "content licence" to the BAI, you'll have to fork over an undisclosed sum to 2RN/RTE-NL for carriage fees, that and the lack of Audio-Only DVB-T "radios" is why this is not happening and is going to be nothing more than a novelty.

Radio remains firmly entrenched on FM and online, with online radio offering a legitimate end-run around the current licencing framework which appears to be less than impartial in it's licencing strategy.

Radio in Ireland is a captive market in most counties for the incumbent stations, if you want choice you tune in online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The Cush wrote: »

Seriously doubt claim in that article that more households have DAB than have Freeview or Sky.

Digital 2 is currently testing from Divis (only one transmitter in NI). Look out for the "Waves" test station along with Waves+. 18 new stations with 3 in DAB+, Jazz FM, Magic Chilled, and fun kids. I gather all three DAB+ stations will be in stereo.

I successfully upgraded an old Pure One elite to DAB+ via a software update which cost £9.99, so I was pleased about that. All my other DAB radios receive DAB+, including my Toyota car radio.

It'll be interesting too see how the DAB+ stations sound.

Digital 2 is currently testing from Divis (only one transmitter in NI). Look out for the "Waves" test station along with Waves+. 18 new stations with 3 in DAB+, Jazz FM, Magic Chilled, and fun kids. I gather all three DAB+ stations will be in stereo.

I successfully upgraded an old Pure One elite to DAB+ via a software update which cost £9.99, so I was pleased about that. All my other DAB radios receive DAB+, including my Toyota car radio.

It'll be interesting too see how the DAB+ stations sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Alsalmo

Have been listening to RTE R1 on DAB+ for last while (I think that it is from Kippure transmitter).
    However, for last few days it has been showing as "station off air". RTE R1 on DAB is still available.

RTE1+ was showing as a "trial" in the scrolling text for years, so I wonder has it ended?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I was listening to RTE 2FM+ in Limerick on DAB+ Friday so that one was still on then. Didn't check R1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Radio Maria has been added to the Kippure output, in both DAB and DAB+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Radio Maria has been added to the Kippure output, in both DAB and DAB+.
    What kind of radio station is this and I wonder is it a commercial station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

natashaob6 wrote: »
    What kind of radio station is this and I wonder is it a commercial station?

Its a Catholic station. http://radiomaria.ie/

They are in some other countries too. I used to sometimes get Radio Maria from Italy on 87.5FM during the summer with 'Skip' conditions. I think they have a number of transmitters in Italy on 87.5

Advertisement