Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I'd imagine very few people who listen to Chris Greene have a dab set
    I have a dab radio for the past ten years or more. I bought it on the understanding that we would have dab in my area with in at least 2 years of been launched in Limerick and Cork. Not a mention of dab rollout by RTE since it launched it's trial run in Dublin,Cork, and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

What channels are available on DAB today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Souriau wrote: »
    What channels are available on DAB today?

RTÉ Radio 1
    RTÉ 2fm,
    RTÉ lyric fm,
    RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta,
    RTÉ Choice,
    RTÉ Gold,
    RTÉ 2XM,
    RTÉ Junior,
    RTÉ Chill,
    RTÉ Pulse
    Sunshine
    Ri ra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Also RTE Radio 1 Extra and Radio Maria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

I wonder will the upcoming RTE 5 year strategy have any mention of DAB ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not unless there is a parallel commercial DAB plan and this falls under the BAI's remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Very good question, with the financial state there in its unlikely. They are doing their level best to close down LW 252. The only way for DAB/DAB+ to happen is to be pushed by Europe.

Very good question, with the financial state there in its unlikely. They are doing their level best to close down LW 252. The only way for DAB/DAB+ to happen is to be pushed by Europe.

There's no commercial demand for cleared FM spectrum so there'll be no lobbying of EU lawmakers by commercial entities to mandate a transition to BIII digital radio. Any push will have to come from national governments/regulators, broadcasters, listeners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

Dublin

Mux 1
    RTE 1 128kbits
    RTE 1+ 48kbits
    RTE Jr 80kbits
    RTE Gold 128kbits
    RTE 2FM+ 64kbits
    RTE 2FM 128kbits
    RTE Pulse 128kbits
    RTE Lyric 160kbits
    RTE RnaG 80kbits
    RTE 1X 80kbits

Mux 2
    Ri Ra 128kbits
    Ri Ra+ off air (?)
    Maria+ 64kbits
    Maria 112kbits
    Sunshine 112kbits
    Sunshine+ 64kbits
    RTE Lyric 256kbits (new)
    RTE Lyric 128kbits (new)

The Cush wrote: »
    An article in today's Sunday Business Post says a new DAB trial service will launch in the above areas in June.

The trial service is operated by DB Digital Broadcasting. Joseph King and Dusty Rhodes are the people behind the company.

The article doesn't indicate which radio station will be carried but the trial "will include 1980s, 1990s and dance music stations, a news service and an irish language youth station". Their blog says "some new stations, some existing ones and lots of new stuff displaying on the screen of your DAB receiver".

The DAB/DAB+ trial mux will carry 10 services.

According to the blog on their website they sent out invitations to 40 radio stations and content providers at the end of Jan.

That was a post from 5 years ago, this week the DAB trial licence expires and won't be renewed

http://radiotoday.ie/2017/06/dab-radio-multiplex-to-close-as-fm-prospers/

Since 2012, dB Digital Broadcasting have been testing DAB/DAB+ across several Irish cities.

The results exceeded all expectations and the digital broadcast system has proven far more robust and economical than FM.

A single DAB transmitter, delivers many stations simultaneously, with audio and visual data to the radio receiver, and in weak reception areas, perfect audio quality. Because many stations share the cost of one transmitter, this drives down the cost of broadcasting.

With support from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, our trial broadcast a number of stations new to the market; Raidio Ri-Ra, UCB, Amazing Radio (UK), Sunshine Radio, All 80s, All90s, Zenith, Pure Classic and Love Radio.

DAB has become the world’s leading digital radio platform. It has grown overall radio audience in the United Kingdom, Norway, Australia and others. In each of those markets, DAB is outgrowing internet radio listening by a factor of four-to-one. Most EU countries now have DAB on-air and it is the platform of choice for the EBU.

DAB is most successful when public and commercial broadcasters, combined with the broadcast regulator, join together to offer a more diverse range of radio. In each market this has happened, the public have loved the increased choice, with increased radio ratings in all DAB markets.

In Ireland, the public broadcaster operates DAB and the regulator in keen for new services to come on air. We are saddened that the third key player, commercial radio, has opted to ignore DAB. Unlike growing markets with digital radio, Irish radio listening continues to trend downwards, going from 89% ten years ago, to 82% today.

Now we have had practical experience with DAB, we believe more than ever, it is a viable broadcasting medium. It opens the radio market to new stations and increases choice and diversity for listeners.

From June 30th, our trial will conclude when our ComReg trial licence expires, but we shall wait patiently for others to catch up with our vision of a bigger future for radio in Ireland.

In the meantime we thank all who have supported our project, from regulators and suppliers, to new broadcasters and listeners.

http://www.dbdb.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Where is this trial service currently in operation?

marno21 wrote: »
    Where is this trial service currently in operation?

Dublin and Cork, Limerick was to be included but never happened. Galway was on the rollout at one point.

http://www.dbdb.ie/transmission-maps/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Cush wrote: »
    Dublin and Cork, Limerick was to be included but never happened. Galway was on the rollout at one point.

http://www.dbdb.ie/transmission-maps/
    Cheers. Never picked it up in Limerick and wouldn't have thought they'd have serviced anywhere smaller.

Can't see it attracting much of an audience to be honest.

Another tack in the coffin for DAB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

marno21 wrote: »
    Cheers. Never picked it up in Limerick and wouldn't have thought they'd have serviced anywhere smaller.

Can't see it attracting much of an audience to be honest.

Another tack in the coffin for DAB.

It's interesting that they lay the blame squarely at the door of the commercial radio sector.

It's very hard to see where DAB goes from here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

It's interesting that they lay the blame squarely at the door of the commercial radio sector.

It's very hard to see where DAB goes from here

It goes Minimux I reckon. Both RTE and some non-aligned broadcasters are looking at the technology and regulation being applied to the UK Minimuxes. Has the potential to be a very low cost model for getting services on air. Even outside of the protectionist issues, very few broadcasters were able to justify the expense of going on the DAB trial given that it was always time limited, expensive for carriage and expensive from a Section 71 licence perspective. The new DAB/+ technology is now available which would get a MUX on air for less than the price of a years carriage on the current trial.

DAB is never going to replace FM (and neither should it, FM is a great medium for broadcast radio). Like online etc, it can have its place as a complimentary medium. It's an and, not an or :)

Simon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think that the rise in the sale of DAB radios is taken as a rise in the number of DAB listeners. This is simply wishful thinking by broadcasters.

DAB is not as easy as FM as there is a delay in the audio stream, and a delay in changing channels. It also requires a bigger and better aerial, and suffers from the digital cliff effect. Also, only a few stations are on DAB compared with FM.

All of these factors mitigate against its use by the listeners who actually have a DAB enabled set. FM is nearly a perfect platform for radio - DAB is not.

10 years ago I was excited about a new radio format coming on the horizon, but it never happened, just hearing of trials and test. Today I really couldn't care less, time changes everything. If we could have a good FM service well that will be fine. There was no push of any kind to the best of my knowledge. Broadcast radio going forward is Internet, Saorview and FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Alsalmo

I have noticed that RTE has been specifically mentioning DAB as an available platform in the last few weeks. Previously, it seemed to be just described under "digital", which most people would probably take to mean online/web.
    It suggests that they want to push the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think once 5G becomes the standard for mobile data, it's going to render DAB completely obsolete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Football Tanker

Joe Duffy says dab has no future in this country and that it was the government who made rte invest in it

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Just wondering what the blue/green colouring means on this map. Attached. How accurate is the map coverage wise. If you were just outside the blue areas would you receive any Dab signal?

If you look at the top LH corner of the map you extracted that attachment from it describes what the colours represent.

- DAB Coverage predictions, modelled at 1.5m a.g.l.
    - Blue = Mobile Reception possible (50 dBuV/m)
    - Green = Indoor Reception possible (57 dBuV/m)

Outside those predicted coverage areas it might be possible to pick up a signal but an externally mounted Band 3 aerial might be required.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Will they ever invest in dab again to roll it out further?
    There is a DAB event happening in Belfast this Friday with JP Coakley, RTÉ's Director of Radio Operations, taking part, where he will talk about future plans for digital radio here.

http://www.belfastmediafestival.co.uk/events/doing-the-dab/

See this thread for some recent DAB developments - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057776519

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just noticed a new Mux (to me anyway) called "Free-DAB". HAS Coast FM, 'Country', Energy, Non-Stop 90s and more. Picking up in the shadow of Three Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭StreetLight

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just noticed a new Mux (to me anyway) called "Free-DAB". HAS Coast FM, 'Country', Energy, Non-Stop 90s and more. Picking up in the shadow of Three Rock

Yes, on the air for over a week now in Dublin.

More discussion and information over on the Radio forum:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057920533&page=10

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Pirate. The tech required to multiplex and modulate DAB can now be done on dirt cheap hardware by a DIYer possibly easier than FM pirate broadcasting ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Where can I find a full listing of radio stations available on DAB in NI and Eire?

Souriau wrote: »
    Where can I find a full listing of radio stations available on DAB in NI and Eire?

http://www.wohnort.org/dab/ireland.html
    http://www.wohnort.org/dab/uknat.html
    http://www.wohnort.org/dab/ukloc.html#NIreland

I'd like to see pirate companies settings up all over Ireland to bring us dab radio, just like fm back in the old days, it might be the only way to get dab moving in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

I'd like to see pirate companies settings up all over Ireland to bring us dab radio, just like fm back in the old days, it might be the only way to get dab moving in Ireland.

I'm not old enough to appreciate it on an anecdotal basis, but I'd reckon that there is a significant difference between trying to bring attention of DAB+ to the masses in 2019 and the development of pirate/unlicensed radio 30-40 years ago.

Back then RTE had a broadcasting monopoly in the state - in some parts BBC radio stations could be received in varying quality levels, plus maybe DTR from Belfast and that was it. What sprung out from that 80's era were the commercial "Superpirates" as well as smaller private operators whom at the time were able to fill in absent markets that RTÉ would not or could not serve, as well as a number of small time local community operators. Other than stations from the UK and possibly some on shortwave (mileage would vary, especially with the Cold War being on), that was really it unless you could speak a contentinal language and listen to MW or LW at night. Legislation coming into force near the end of decade was the end of that era and the beginning of a more formal, regulatory commercial radio sector in the Republic of Ireland.

In 2019, DAB+ doesn't have the same ground to breed from. You have the RTÉ stations as well as numerous commercial stations of varying locality and genres available to almost everyone in the country, plus the easy ability to listen to literally thousands of different radio stations from across the world via the internet at home, at work, or pretty much any smartphone that can get a WiFi or mobile signal (even 2G only can work for some streams). Couple that with the age profiles of how people these days "consume" media - younger generations (say under 30-35) in particular are listening to linear radio a lot less than when their parents did of the same age. Then throw in the likes of Spotify, Deezer, YouTube music etc.

Also, just to add almost many had at least one radio accessible back in the 80s that covered the MW band at least, and many of them could also do FM as well. How many in 2019 have receivers at home, cars, mobile phones etc. that incorporate DAB+? Cars, ironically, probably do due to manufacturers in the UK and contentinal Europe including them either as standard or an optional extra, with spillover to the Irish market.

So for anyone to purchase a DAB+ receiver now in Ireland whom hasn't already done so, it sort of needs to have a "reason for being" for listeners to go out and buy a receiver - just existing isn't good enough. Then there's the obvious problem regarding "the law" - back in the 80's various laws which by that stage only resulted in small fines as well as legal judgements at the time finding broadcasting loopholes for operators, meant that from about late 83 to 88 pirate radio was essentially decriminalised in Ireland. Today however, laws have been significantly tightened up and punishments potentially much harder. Whilst the late 90's and early 00's saw a potential pirate rebirth, Black Tuesday saw to that.

Both RTÉ and the licenced commercial FM stations (especially those connected to D*s O'B***n) will also readily go after unlicensed upstarts potentially depriving their revenue. Most pirate stations currently existing are generally seen as having no real threat to any licenced commercial operation in the state - and the likes of Energy AM, Radio North and Radio Star Country sticking to MW keeps them out of several crosshairs as long as they behave themselves overall. Unlicenced stations tramping on the toes of the big boys on FM is a different kettle of fish, and that'll include DAB+ if it comes to it.

There's perhaps a few other variables as well, but in general the legal and business end of trying to run an unlicensed radio service or an unlicensed transmission set up is going to make any unlicensed operation a struggle IMO in 2019 and 2020. The haylicon days of the 80s are long gone. But I'd be more than welcome to be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If the powers that be are even aware/bothered of the DAB pirates they would probably agree with you. In practice how many listeners would they have other than a few anoraks?

(Full disclosure:- I would have classed myself as an anorak in the past but these days don't even have a decent DAB tuner. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

If the powers that be are even aware/bothered of the DAB pirates they would probably agree with you. In practice how many listeners would they have other than a few anoraks?

(Full disclosure:- I would have classed myself as an anorak in the past but these days don't even have a decent DAB tuner. )

At the moment, not very many I'd reckon especially where the RTÉ ensemble can't be received. A lot depends on the types of radios people buy these days I guess, DAB/DAB+ will probably be available on many higher-end sets, mini systems etc. that a lot of purchasers aren't aware of. Getting people to tune around to a new band that they unlikely have selected since they first turned the device on to scan and found nothing on it takes time & patience. It's like the classic question where if a tree falls in a forest but no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

(Full disclosure - Somewhat an anaroak, have three separate DAB radio receivers, only the most recent one posted last year has DAB+ capability but the eldest of the three is over 15 years old and still going strong today. DAB ensembles from Brougher Mountain are easily available here. All three receivers have FM reception with RDS as well but only the first two have sockets to connect to an external aerial)

Advertisement