Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

got internet radio ... but that eats into data plan for a lot of people . - Imagine a lot of cars in the last 5 years with DAB radio's fitted and now not being able to pick up any DAB at all in Ireland now - just interferenced FM signal for radio stations.

Hope someone else takes up the DAB service in Ireland if they can and get it up and working again ... and this time nationwide!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

but that eats into data plan for a lot of people

What would be the average data allowance these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

lertsnim wrote: »
    What would be the average data allowance these days?

not sure to be honest - on a couple of forms i have read in the small writing that even with 'all you can eat data' that it has an asterix and says something like 'fair usage rules apply' still - i was surprised like that because you would think there were no restrictions at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jessex

Closing obsolete dab is the best decision RTE has ever made but that's not to say that radio on the internet is the answer. DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale) is on the way giving all DAB benefits at low cost as DRM+ in VHF /FM band. See Cambridge Associates sub $10 low cost/energy module due 3rd quarter 2021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jessex

got internet radio ... but that eats into data plan for a lot of people . - Imagine a lot of cars in the last 5 years with DAB radio's fitted and now not being able to pick up any DAB at all in Ireland now - just interferenced FM signal for radio stations.

Hope someone else takes up the DAB service in Ireland if they can and get it up and working again ... and this time nationwide!
    Closing obsolete dab is the best decision RTE has ever made but that's not to say that radio on the internet is the answer. DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale) is on the way giving all DAB benefits at low cost as DRM+ in VHF /FM band. See Cambridge Associates sub $10 low cost/energy module due 3rd quarter 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Jessex wrote: »

Apparently full wave band receivers for DRM are available in far East for around €60 and cheaper.

One might wonder if RTE are considering moving in this direction ..... digital radio on SW, LW and FM bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Killing DAB was a cost cutting exercise. I can't see them investing in any new tech in the near future. Based on their track record to date they would buy some obscure or obsolete system unique to here and incomparable with any other European or UK standard. Me? Cynical? What gave you that idea? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Apparently full wave band receivers for DRM are available in far East for around €60 and cheaper.

One might wonder if RTE are considering moving in this direction ..... digital radio on SW, LW and FM bands?

RTE don't have a pot to piss in, excuse the expression. You're lucky they are keeping FM going, never mind investing in DRM. It's all down to population and making money, last time (pre Covid ), I was in London, a scan on my brother's DAB radio, brought in 92 stations, all the national stations, all the local stations, stations from neighbouring counties, a bucket load of niche stations and many more. When you are broadcasting to 8 to 10 million people in a 50 mile radius, its a different market.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DRM was dead on arrival, over a decade ago. If the current resurrection attempts in India work we can look at it in another five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Believe it or not, Lidl are selling a DAB+ radio this weekend :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I presume it is FM also.

Edit: Just checked - 50 DAB+ and 50 FM

We never needed 50 pre-sets for either DAB+ or FM, and DAB was very restricted to Dublin, Cork and Limerick.

I presume it is FM also.

Edit: Just checked - 50 DAB+ and 50 FM

We never needed 50 pre-sets for either DAB+ or FM, and DAB was very restricted to Dublin, Cork and Limerick.

I read 25 DAB + 25 FM presets :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I read 25 DAB + 25 FM presets :)

You are right - I read 50 pre=sets. Must learn to read the small print better.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

They would be better off selling decently priced internet radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Who knows how long it will last, but the FreeDAB service is currently providing a good selection of alternative listening. I'm particularly enjoying Jazz Radio Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

So what? FreeDAB are on the air in Dublin and DB Digital Broadcasting still have an interest in obtaining a DAB licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭SPDUB

So what? FreeDAB are on the air in Dublin and DB Digital Broadcasting still have an interest in obtaining a DAB licence.

You're not really on the air in Dublin when you can't be heard in a fair chunk of the city

Mearings wrote: »
    They would be better off selling decently priced internet radios.

Although internet radios are, almost without exception, horrible to use and useless for elderly etc.

Life ain't always empty.

DB Digital Broadcasting still have an interest in obtaining a DAB licence.

They won't get one though.

Life ain't always empty.

Although internet radios are, almost without exception, horrible to use and useless for elderly etc.

How old would you have to be to make an internet radio useless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Definitely doesn't seem an option
    https://core.cro.ie/e-commerce/company/528414

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doughnut2000

In a world of smartphones, not very old at all.

Well, I have a Roberts internet radio which I find next to useless.

It only logs onto the WiFi when the IR option is selected and by the time it has logged on. I have forgotten why I selected IR.

It is not easy to find any station - or the particular one I want to listen to - there are too many to just scan like I can with FM. Even DAB is a disaster, because of much the same reason - it takes too long to switch it on, and then too much time to change stations. Then there is the delay - one or two seconds compared to FM.

FM and AM work perfectly - why change for a lesser solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doughnut2000

It only logs onto the WiFi when the IR option is selected and by the time it has logged on. I have forgotten why I selected IR.

It is not easy to find any station - or the particular one I want to listen to - there are too many to just scan like I can with FM. Even DAB is a disaster, because of much the same reason - it takes too long to switch it on, and then too much time to change stations. Then there is the delay - one or two seconds compared to FM.

Exactly. Plus if you do want Internet Radio, smartphones are more convenient. Most are loud enough on their own, and bluetooth speakers work well and are inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

I use an old smart phone like a tablet/screen to connect via a phono lead with a Roberts sound 100, tune in radio, Spotify. I was going to buy an Internet radio, the old phone wasn't being used,

I have two IR only radios and find them quite useful.
    No LW, MW, FM or DAB ....... just IR on those two.

All other radios have gone into disuse in preference for the IR radios.

Maybe I am not old enough to make them useless :D

I have two IR only radios and find them quite useful.
    No LW, MW, FM or DAB ....... just IR on those two.

All other radios have gone into disuse in preference for the IR radios.

Maybe I am not old enough to make them useless :D

My Roberts radio has an appalling user interface. A simple upgrade of the software would help, but there is no way that will happen. The Wifi could be connected on power up which would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭peking97

My Roberts radio has an appalling user interface. A simple upgrade of the software would help, but there is no way that will happen. The Wifi could be connected on power up which would help.

Like johnboy I also have two IR radios. Both are PURE brand. The Evoke Flow and the Evoke F3. I use both regularly and the F3 maintains the WiFi connection even in standby so comes alive much quicker than the Flow.

peking97 wrote: »
    Like johnboy I also have two IR radios. Both are PURE brand. The Evoke Flow and the Evoke F3. I use both regularly and the F3 maintains the WiFi connection even in standby so comes alive much quicker than the Flow.

I have a number of problems with radios that stem from abysmal design. Why does radio have to be such a poor relation to other technology?

When the VCR was ubiquitous, it was trivial to program a VRC to record any TV programme, but no such ability existed to record a radio programme. No radio receiver exists on the market to receive Saorview audio channels, nor to receive satellite audio. Is it so hard to do?

Currently, 88.5 MHz is very weak at my location, and repeatedly on reduced power or no power. The normal aerials cannot be positioned to get usable signal to noise. Is there a problem with the Three Rock transmitter?

As for DAB, why was DAB+ dabbled with at all when DAB had never been deployed nationally or even planned? If the DAB was experimental/trialled, why not just upgrade DAB to DAB+? Why was the bit rate so low when the band was so underused?

It was so amateur.

• Advertisement

When the VCR was ubiquitous, it was trivial to program a VRC to record any TV programme, but no such ability existed to record a radio programme. No radio receiver exists on the market to receive Saorview audio channels, nor to receive satellite audio. Is it so hard to do?

No.
    I have repurposed a cheap receiver (SD) that was bought from Lidl or Aldi years ago to do this for satellite radio.
    I don't use it now, as any device that can connect to my LAN can play radio and TV from Satellite and terrestrial.

Advertisement