Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What postcode for IRL?

Options
  • 17-11-2003 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I did a search and...

Anyway, I am trying to order Sky+ online but you need to enter a postcode to login. Does anyone know what postcode Sky use for Ireland? :confused:

Any help greatfully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Phone Sky...

There phone support/sales are excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DigiMarc

I did, but I am ordering it as a present for my brother (and me:D ).

The problem is they could only book for the first week of December. They can't book any further in advance than that at the moment. And well I am trying to book it for as close to xmas as possible.

Thought that maybe you might be able to book further in advance online...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SEAMUSD

just put in some made up postcode, I live in Arklowand we dont have a postcode and anytime a postcode is required i just put in ARK 1. NO PROBLEMS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by SEAMUSD
    just put in some made up postcode, I live in Arklowand we dont have a postcode and anytime a postcode is required i just put in ARK 1. NO PROBLEMS

I doubt this will work, as far as I know you cannot order on skys website for ROI orders.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ireland has no post codes unless u live in dublin. where dublin 1 is a postcode

other than that there is no such thing for ireland because there is really no need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DigiMarc

Ok, well thanks for the replies guys... Looks like I'll just have to wait a bit and order it over the phone.

Originally posted by Tony
    I doubt this will work, as far as I know you cannot order on skys website for ROI orders.

Tony

correct.

Incidently on websites where you can order for Ireland and they say you must put in a post code - Simply type in NONE as in the word none in that box.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

other than that there is no such thing for ireland because there is really no need

Wouldnt agree with that statement. In rural Ireland especially there is a rather sore need for a proper system of adressing/road naming. How people find their way about using that bizzare system of "townlands" ill never know

Anyway if you want to invent your own postcodes the codes beginning Q V and X are not used in the UK and for the second letter te 26 letters correspond ncely with 26 counties so Dublin 7 could be XD7 Galway city centre could be XG1 etc

Alternatively you could use a system based on the two letter county codes from car registrations although there would have to be a few amendments to avoid clashing with codes already used in the UK

Post Code County
    CE Clare
    CK Cork
    CL Carlow
    CN Cavan
    DO Donegal
    DU Dublin
    GA Galway
    KE Kildare
    KK Kilkenny
    KR Kerry
    LF Longford
    LH Louth
    LK Limerick
    LM Leitrim
    LO Laois
    MG Monaghan
    MH Meath
    MO Mayo
    OY Offaly
    RN Roscommon
    SC Sligo
    TP Tipperary North
    TY Tipperary South
    WE Wexford
    WH Westmeath
    WT Waterford
    WW Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Or better still use the American and French 5 number system rather than slavishly copying what the Brits do...

a system based on letters gives more possible code combinations though and the UK is the destination for the majority of Irelands International mail so an integrated poscode system makes more sense

Anyway ths is getting a bit off topic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I heard last year that An Post were developing a postcode system, based on map coordinates I think.

Hope its GPS (i.e. Lattitude and Longtitude) coordinates and not the Ordanance survey grid references (pointless obsolecent system IMHO)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Cloud
    I heard last year that An Post were developing a postcode system, based on map coordinates I think.

Of the roadside boxes they want to put up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

The 4 digit postcode system we have in Belgium works very well. Every address had 3 lines. Name
    Street & Number
    Code & Townland

No more 7 line AD's easier for the postman.
    Of the roadside boxes they want to put up

Thats standard here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

Or better still use the American and French 5 number system rather than slavishly copying what the Brits do...

Like watching their TV channels and speaking their language.....
    US ZIP codes are prefixed with the two letters for the state, eg: Beverley Hills CA 90210. (The TV show got it wrong, but including the 'CA ' didn't exactly trip off the tongue.)

Canada shares a telephone numbering plan with the USA- try telling them they're Yanks.

If you want to get UTV, Channel 4 and Five, get someone in the North to give you their address (with BT postcode) and order from there, instead of making postcodes up. Otherwise, complain to Sky Ireland.

In New Zealand they only use postcodes for sorting mail in bulk, but otherwise they're not needed.
    Of the roadside boxes they want to put up

Kiwis have had 'em for years, and companies usually use PO Boxes or Private Bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by DigiMarc
    Ok, well thanks for the replies guys... Looks like I'll just have to wait a bit and order it over the phone.

why not buy it in a shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Still off the Topic - I Totally agree that we need postcodes. Saying that we don't need postcodes is typical of the shortsightness that exists in this country..... But I wouldn't let An Post (or any government org invent them), look at the mess Dublin City Council have made of the new signs in Dublin..... Putting them behind trees and in-front of the existing (larger and more informative) signs!!!

Postcodes work really well in N.Ireland.... All you need is a House number and a Postcode and you'll get your mail. Not like rural Ireland where you are reliant on the postman to know you personally in order to get your mail delivered.

And Dublin 1 is not a true postcode it's a Joke. I would suggest using the UK system over the US one (although It would be nice to differentiate ourselves). The UK one narrows down to a specific street/road and it can be easily implemented to software, etc already used in this country.... It also may mean that someday we'll be able to order our Sky over the net..... you couldn't expect sky to understand that we have a different system to them.... they find it hard enough to handle +353.....

Postcodes work really well in N.Ireland.... All you need is a House number and a Postcode and you'll get your mail. Not like rural Ireland where you are reliant on the postman to know you personally in order to get your mail delivered.

Plus the fact that EVERY road has a name and a sign telling you the name of the road and all houses are numberd means finding houses in rural areas is far easier

COMREG wants to introdce postcodes but An Post doesnt

The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg), which has published a consultation paper, claims postcodes could help to reduce confusion and speed up the sorting of mail, as letters would be routed automatically once their postcodes had been scanned.

ComReg points out that every EU country apart from Ireland and Greece uses postcodes.

Direct-mail companies and the ESB are among the organisations that support postcodes. The electricity company claims they would give it more accurate information in emergencies.

An Post has rejected the plan, however, saying postcodes would be expensive and unnecessary in a country with such a small and scattered population. A spokesman for the company said its technology could read addresses in milliseconds, which far outweighed any advantages postcodes could bring.

An Post and Ordnance Survey Ireland have devised a "geo-direct system", containing 1.5 million addresses, that can pinpoint locations more accurately than postcodes can, he said.

In Dublin city, the postal districts from Dublin 1 to Dublin 24 represent sorting offices. This is as much of a system of postcodes as Ireland needs, according to the spokesman, who said An Post would be making a strong case against postcodes to ComReg.

Udaras na Gaeltachta chairman Liam OCuinneagain said postcodes would dilute Ireland's "rich and unique" place names. "We have a policy of using county names and place names in the thousands of letters we send out every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

Udaras na Gaeltachta chairman Liam OCuinneagain said postcodes would dilute Ireland's "rich and unique" place names. "We have a policy of using county names and place names in the thousands of letters we send out every week

Gabh mo leithsceal, an tUasal, but other (genuinely) bilingual/or multilingual countries do just fine, if not better.

1049 Bruxelles / 1049 Brussel

Cape Town 8000 / Kaapstad 8000

1211 Geneve / 1211 Genf

However, in Aotearoa (NZ) you can address letters in Maori - put Tamaki Makaurau on a letter and it gets to Auckland.
    ComReg points out that every EU country apart from Ireland and Greece uses postcodes.

Wrong, Greece does, (101 88 Athens) and they don't expect you to call Athens 'Athinai', just as Cyprus expects you to call Nicosia Lefkosia.

AR AON NOS / ANYWAY

The point is that, postcodes or no postcodes, Sky needs to take account of their Irish customers circumstances. (Including a demand for UTV, Channel 4 and Five)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    ireland has no post codes unless u live in dublin. where dublin 1 is a postcode

Cork City also has postcodes. AFAIK there are four, Cork 1 - Cork 4.

~Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by pbirney
    Cork City also has postcodes. AFAIK there are four, Cork 1 - Cork 4.
    Sure they're not just voting wards? Limerick has the same (you can see the little numbers on old signs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Alot of UK systems accept DU8 1IN as a valid postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by Man
    correct.

Incidently on websites where you can order for Ireland and they say you must put in a post code - Simply type in NONE as in the word none in that box.

mm

DO NOT DO THIS.

I used to and it is ok with some companies, however I ordered some cds from Play.com with this as the postcode, never recieved them. I got a second lot sent out, never recieved them. Then I remembered the postcode thing, changed it to Dublin, got a third batch sent out, a few days later they arrived.

They were addressed to:

name
    street
    Dublin
    Ireland
    Dublin

I can only guess that some letter reading software somewhere did something strange with the packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

To all the people suggesting we use the UK style of post codes have any of you ever read a report instigated by the Royal Mail AFAIK. Anyway, Royal Mail know that the Post Codes are a disaster in the UK and do not work well at all, are incomprehensible to the public and they're been looking at ways to change them.

Jaysus, we have enough talent over here to come up with our own and who cares if any of ours clash with the UKs, we're a completely different entity, if someone cannot tell the difference between Dublin ZBFHD and London ZBFHD they've serious issues :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

bmi has probably the best online system, the programmer not only knew that there are no Irish post codes, but even wouldn't let me enter a Dublin postcode. I was impressed - sick of dumb**** 'what is your postcode' questions from UK websites and customer service centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Personally i've always used EIRE as the post code for the same reason as the play.com guy above gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dublin1 etc are Postal AREAS, not post codes. There ARE in fact Irish Post codes, but An Post (for what ever reason) does not want them public. (I know people in the Franking /Postal meter business so know this is true). Also possible is PC printed "E-Postage" stamps or labels on letters/parcels instead of horrenduously expensive franking machines for business. An Post has blocked this for years also.

Anyway if a website wants a UK postcode a made up or Irish one (assuming you knew your "secret" postcode") is no good.

There is less need of (public) postcodes now than 20 years ago. The main benefit would be for databases of Spammers/Direct mailers. Though why An Post should worry I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by LurkingIcon

There is less need of (public) postcodes now than 20 years ago.

I honestly don't know how postmen can work without postcodes, considering plenty of addresses outside cities and towns in the UK and Ireland do not have addresses in the form: house number, street name, district, city/town, postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

livin' in england the postcade system is dead useful - it identifies the side of the street you live in and everything - most of the address is pretty much not needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I think this thread has a natural home in Business/Economy/Finance, so moving it there.

Advertisement