Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric steamer

• 17-11-2003 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I just bought a food steamer (like this). To inaugurate it, I hard-boiled a few eggs in it. Works great - no more watching for the boil and forgetting to look at the clock.

The booklet that came with the steamer doesn't give too many ideas. I know I can do veg and rice and fish, for example, and I'll be trying all those in due course (I was originally going to buy a rice cooker, which I've used before, but at the last minute switched to the steamer).

But I wonder if anyone here has some neat steamer tricks or imaginative meals that can be cooked all at once in the steamer, fancy desserts or that sort of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

You might want to check out chinese recipe books, there are lots of quite easy to make traditional steamed dishes you hardly ever see in restaurants cause westerners are not used to eating them. Ingredients can be acquired in the various asian markets in the city center. Or you can just pop into one of those asian markets and pick up some frozen "dim-sum" which tastes great and way cheaper than paying for them in chinese restaurants that sells them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by CodeMonkey
    You might want to check out chinese recipe books, there are lots of quite easy to make traditional steamed dishes you hardly ever see in restaurants cause westerners are not used to eating them. Ingredients can be acquired in the various asian markets in the city center. Or you can just pop into one of those asian markets and pick up some frozen "dim-sum" which tastes great and way cheaper than paying for them in chinese restaurants that sells them.
    I hoped to get to an Asian shop over the weekend but I didn't manage it. Anyway, great idea - I can't wait to try it (and I'm well used to Cantonese cuisine having lived over there for a few years).

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i dont know if this is exactly what you want but its worth a lookrecipies

Advertisement