Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Graphic Card Issue

• 17-11-2003 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

My friends PC is hanging on start up - was getting a black screen now is getting a windows protection error.

It seems to be after the boot sequesce when the first windows screen appears.

Im guessing this is an issue with the graphics card - it may be kicking in at this point. Safe mode doesnt work. Anybody had this problem / solved it before.

Im thinking of putting in an old pci graphic card to see if it gets any further.

Its a 64mb NVidia card not sure what exact model.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

this not at issue of a video card, if it would you wouldn't be getting a windows screen at all, it's an issue of a hard drive, did you change it? or did anything to it? maybe a virus? moving/resizing partition?

i have similar errors, it's like it's loading fine, when you get to that black windows XP logo screen and are about to move to the blue logon screen that BSOD appears with something like error 00000007 or something, don't remember exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i got this error once when i changed motherboard and the only way i fixed it was to reinstall windows.

were any core components changed?? like motherboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

win2k was on it and i thought there was somehting screwed up with it so had me cd so installed that - then after restart during install hangs first time the install trys to continue. - when the graphics card is going from vga to svga or from dos setting to vga (or whatever its doing).

Nothing has changed just rebooted one night next morning this happened.

done a step by step boot in win2k it crashed after it loads the mouse driver mouse.vxd I guess its whatever driver is after that is causing the issue.

could be a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

reinstalling?

i'm telling you it's not a video card, it's something different something with partition

download hiren's boot cd, load partition magic and try resizing a partition

and load again

give me an error number it gives you

Thanks for the tip - tried that cd at the weekend, checked the disk - no errors, tried resizing the partition down a little, no errors, rebooted and it booted fine, what was the problem?

That is a cool cd though - will have to keep that in my toolbox for future use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Just after getting the exact same problem with my machine. It just goes black after the first XP screen.
    Im using a GF 4 4200. I took it out and tried booting with just the onboard graphics and it started up fine.
    Surely this suggests its a graphics card problem?

It first happened lastnight when i tried to start max payne 2. The screen just went black.

Any ideas?

Im thinking a reinstall of xp?

I used that boot cd to resize the partition and it worked fine after that. Since then my friend has changed his system a few times - he is back to win2k and once we connected to the net he got a virues- i think he always had the Welchia worm. his screen wasnt coming on sometimes again since he installed win2k.

havent heard since if installing sp4 has fixed the problem.

Dont think it was a graphics card issue - even though i was sure it was at the time - maybe there is a virus and one of the graphics drivers or something is infected - only a guess

Advertisement