Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exhaust fans and hard drive fans, make any difference?

• 17-11-2003 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

i was thinking of putting an exhaust slot fan, and atteching a fan to a hard drive

anyone tryed that before? does it work? does it have any effect on the system's temp?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

It does ... I did it before (before I moved 2 of the hard disks out into another PC) and ...its noisy, but I had case temps under 30celsius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

How are you planning to fix it to the HD? If you've a proper intake and outake case fans you shouldn't needto muck about with a slot fan. I tried one one in a case with very poor airflow and I didn't find it helped that much. They are usually very noisy. If its just for the HD then just move it in front of the intake fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Originally posted by RicardoSmith

If its just for the HD then just move it in front of the intake fan.
    thats what i had untill the intake fan got abnormally noisy. ive since disconnected that fan and the drive has started giving more trouble than usuall. the drive is a maxtor 60 gig. bloody hot. i opened the box and i could feel the heat from the drive. proves that putting the drive near the intake works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

noisy? argh... noisy boxes make CyberGhost dull boy!

the idea is off

thanks for replies!

Originally posted by gobby
    thats what i had untill the intake fan got abnormally noisy. ive since disconnected that fan and the drive has started giving more trouble than usuall. the drive is a maxtor 60 gig. bloody hot. i opened the box and i could feel the heat from the drive. proves that putting the drive near the intake works...

Buy a new quiet intake fan? Maybe two of them?

• Advertisement

it's dell box so, there are no intake places, there one huge fan on the back and that's about it

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    it's dell box so, there are no intake places, there one huge fan on the back and that's about it

Buy a dremel and make your own. Though in Dell its probably not really needed. Modern HDs are meant to run quite hot too. You could add one of those HD coolers that fit in a 5.25 bay and intake air. Not normally very quiet though.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    You could add one of those HD coolers that fit in a 5.25 bay and intake air. Not normally very quiet though.
    Thats what i used, and they are quite noisy ... but I had to do it because the 10k RPM drive was heating up the whole computer case it was that hot....

2 cds roms, all 5.25 slots taken

anyway i have Western Digital 200GB HD, do you know if has heat problems?haven't noticed anything myself but... just to be sure

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Thats what i used, and they are quite noisy ... but I had to do it because the 10k RPM drive was heating up the whole computer case it was that hot....

What did you expect with a 10k drive?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RicardoSmithBuy a new quiet intake fan? Maybe two of them?
    thats exactly what i plan on doing. i was looking at fans with a noise level of under 20dB. would that be considered quiet?

You canna break the laws of physics ...... unfortunately the quiet fans dont push around much air, you have to juggle db's with cfm's .... noisy fans usually push around a lot more air ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The bigger the fan, the less noisy it will be at the same airflow.

Originally posted by Giblet
    Indeed ... maybe I should have wrote ... "With 80mm Fans" ... before my last post :eek:

Originally posted by Giblet
    and the harder it will be to find space for it inside your case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ah yes the benefits of planning.

Coolermasters can take HUGE fans in the front!

Generally you need just enough airflow to cool components not a wind tunnel. 20dB fans will be very quiet but not silent. BTW the more you add will increase the noise, not keep it at 20dB. They should be fine for most things except perhaps a high end cpu. But even with a highend cpu you can get away with a low cfm fan is the heatsink is good enough and the airflow is sorted in the case.

Advertisement