Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how to take out car radio?

Options
  • 17-11-2003 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi

i need to know how to take out car radio? Its an 99 Astra if that makes a difference.

Looking at the radio it has 4 small holes about 4mm wide and when i stick screwdriver etc in it it goes in a hell of long way but i am unsure if its philips head or flat etc or some other type?

Any ideas??? im sure its a simple problem but i dont want to damage anything

Tks,

Dwayne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

This
    is the kind of thing you need. Should be available in a car accessory shop. I'm sure you could make your own if you were so inclined. ( maybe a coat hanger would be good enough :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

"maybe a coat hanger would be good enough "

Yup, Thats exactly what to use

Cut two lengths of steel wire coat hanger and bend them into 'U' shapes. Make sure the ends are about the same length

Take out your four grub screws

Insert the 'U's ( this should push the barbs of the retaining clips on the side of the radio out of the way ) then 'pull' or 'waggle & tug' ;)

WATCHOUT

If you pull the radio you will probably need the security code for it if you want to use it again. Do you have this ? Do you know how to enter it ?

An T

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Excuse my ignorance guys but what are grub screws. Can i insert the hanger or do i need something to unscrew these "grub screws" first

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

usually there is an indent in the end of these removal tools so I dont know if a coat hangar will work. Loads of cars use them though, blaupunkt radios being commonplace with them so just ask around with mates to get a lend of theirs. You arent alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

"I dont know if a coat hangar will work"

Works on a Grundig

You may need to file or grind the ends a little to make them easier to insert

An T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

dwayneburke:

I had a 96 Astra which is essentially the same as regard's the radio removal with the new shape Astra.

The grub screw's are small headlees screw's with a special slot in the body and these are to be found where you were able to insert the screw driver. So your grub screw's are missing. This is not important only that they are used as a theft deterrant ( I Know!) and to remove them you need a Torx type screw driver.

I would prefer to use a set of proper removal tool's that can be purchased at most car acessory shop's and sometime's you can get a new cage for the new radio that you may be inserting.

Hope this help's

Bigtimecharlie

Advertisement