Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noisy fan

Options
  • 17-11-2003 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

wheni put my machine together i bought two case fans. one for use as an intake and the other for use as an outtake. both fans are the same make and model and were both bought in the same order. the setup is a little over a year old. recently i was messing about with the machine, as ye do, and i noticed that the intake was a hell of a lot louder than the outtake. how can this be? the fans should be identical! moreover, is there anything i can do with the fan to try and restore it to the way it once was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

It's probably just dried up. Peel back the sticker and put one drop of oil on the spindle, give it a few spins by hand to let the oil work it's way down the spindle and that's it fixed.
    If your case has a stamped grill covering a fan, that can make a lot of noise too. It's best to cut out those case grills and fit wire ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i put oil in meh fan the other day and it was no use, no noise change whatsoever :( any more ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Originally posted by Sir Random
    If your case has a stamped grill covering a fan
    it has exactly that. thing is so does the other, quiet, fan. i guess the fact that one is an intake and the other an outtake might affect that. might cut it out anyways. the intake is at the front of the case and the front plastic cover of the case covers it so i guess i wouldnt even have to replace with a wire one.
    Peel back the sticker and put one drop of oil on the spindle
    not so sure bout that one. heard of it being done before but ive also heard of people who ended up with oil all over the inside of their cases. dunno man, just sounds a little dodgy.

had the fan plugged in last night cos i was messing around overclocking the chip. damn, its loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by gobby
    ...but ive also heard of people who ended up with oil all over the inside of their cases. dunno man, just sounds a little dodgy.
    Jeez, you can't oil the spindle while the fan is in the case :eek:

#1, Remove the fan from the case.
    #2, peel back the label and dust cover.
    221003_18s.jpg

#3, Place one drop of oil on the spindle with a 3in1 type dropper.
    If you're using WD40, lightly spray the tip of a small screwdriver, then just touch the screwdriver blade against the spindle and a small quantity of oil will transfer onto it.
    For motor/cooking oil, just get a small drop on the tip of a scewdriver and apply.

#4, Put it all back together.

If there's no front intake for air, you're probably getting noise from air being sucked through the gaps in the case. It could also be the fan struggling to suck air that isn't there.

If your case grills are anything like the one below, definitely remove them as they restrict about 60% of the airflow.

031103_10s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Jeez, you can't oil the spindle while the fan is in the case
    i know that man. still heard of people who have had problems even though they took it out of the case and put it back in later on....

• Advertisement
Advertisement