Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not recognising Master Harddrive properly

Options
  • 17-11-2003 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

I put in my friends' 40GB harddrive there instead of my old full hardrive, in the master slot because i was getting rid of the old master. so i turned it on and i got an error like:
    'Please insert Boot media...' - so in the BIOS it says that the new harddrive is a slave to nothing!
    Quare-ly enough when i ctrl-alt-del at the error it boots grand into the OS, i could live with it but any ideas??? and the ribbon cable for the master is in only hard drive in the case... any help greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Make sure that the jumper is in the right position.

There is no "master slot" on the cable, the jumpers determine if a drive will be master or slave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

right i noticed a jumper on the harddrive right beside the ribbon cable slot, it was at the far right and my old hardrive has that same jumper except on different pins, so i'll try that cheers!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by plazz2000
    Make sure that the jumper is in the right position.

There is no "master slot" on the cable, the jumpers determine if a drive will be master or slave.

Not true if CS has been jumpered on the drive and you are using a proper cable select Cable - in which case the cable will be marked Drive or HDD, 0 and 1

====================
    Depending on the brand / model Drives can have jumpers for

MA - Master
    SL - Slave
    - Standalone
    - Master with Slave
    CS - Cable Select (set for most new PC's and Drives)

Make a note of which one is on your drive before you move the jumpers.

There are only two positions on the cable and a drive on it's own should be MA (or CS if you have the appropiate cable)

course if it's scsi all bets are off as to jumpers...

Advertisement