Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wisp

• 17-11-2003 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

does anyone know roughly the price range involved in getting something like a 4 - 8 mbit line out into the country (6 miles from) kilkenny and who to contact about doing such a job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

www.irishbroadband.ie

The Business version??

Not a "Line" as such but worth a look maybe, though im not sure if they go that fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ask Here after you register.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Hi bobmurphy,

You won't get 8Mbit/sec using 2.4Ghz wifi gear.

I believe for the distance you are talking about, you could get 8Mbit/sec from 5.8Ghz gear, however, I don't have any direct experience with 5.8Ghz gear, so my answers below assume you are using 2.4Ghz standard wifi gear which should give you a point to point link @220Kbytes/sec [real] transfer speeds over 9.5km.

If you have direct LOS between the 2 locations then it would cost about the following

2 X Stella 24dB directional antennas Eur160
    2 X sets of LMR400 cable, connectors, waterproofing, Lightening protection, chimney mounting kits Eur260
    2 X pigtails Eur40
    1 X Access Point or linux based AP + radio card Eur 100-> 250
    1 X Linux based client wireless node + radio card Eur120

Total = Eur 680 -> Eur 830

If you need to put in a relay between the locations (IE a node would need to be build on high ground between the locations)

1 X Stella 10dB Omni antenna Eur160
    2 X Stella 24dB directional antennas Eur160
    3 X sets of LMR400 cable, connectors, waterproofing, Lightening protection, chimney mounting kits Eur390
    3 X pigtails Eur60
    1 X Access Point or linux based AP + radio card Eur 100-> 250
    2 X Linux based client wireless node + radio card Eur240

Total = Eur 1110 -> Eur 1260

The above prices are just guidelines, it could be more expensive if you factor in people's time and it could be cheaper if you bought seondhand gear/used linux based wireless networking node systems exclusively.
    Also, high end commercial wisp-type gear like soekris/star-os might also be recommended.

As Mick pointed out there is a forum on the Irishwan forums for Kilkenny, I believe there is some activity happening there already.

There are community groups/companies all over the country who could help set this up. I don't know how much they would charge for labour etc or what type of solutions they would recommend, but I would reckon that if community based wireless networking groups were to help, they would be hoping that you would allow Irishwan community traffic to pass through nodes under your control...

All comments/corrections welcome,

regards,
    Dave

daveharlowe@hotmail.com

MidWestWan http://www.midwestwan.org/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

thanks for all the help -- these links have really pointed me in the right direction -- i had no idea there was so much activity -- i thought i was going to have to wire kilkenny on my own :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement