Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search Engine Marketing Workshop

Options
  • 17-11-2003 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I am considering attending a one-day, Interactive Return, Search Engine Marketing Workshop. Has anyone an opinion as to the usefulness and value of these?

The alternative is to teach myself through books and tutorials.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Henri
    I am considering attending a one-day, Interactive Return, Search Engine Marketing Workshop. Has anyone an opinion as to the usefulness and value of these?

Waste of money. It is better to learn via books, tutorials and talking to other people. Normally these search engine marketing workshops are used to sell on the services of the company fronting them and very little above commonly available knowledge is on offer at them. The Interactive Return workshop may be different. However the internet is often your best resource for this kind of stuff. Though Google is currently doing a pubcrawl dance.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by jmcc
    [B Though Google is currently doing a pubcrawl dance.
    [/B]

A what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by blacknight
    A what?

It is updating but in a very strange way. A bit like a dancing towards the end of a pubcrawl. Normally Google's dance was fairly ok but this one seems a bit strange with lurches in all weird directions.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/18346-1-15.htm

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The Active Return search engine submissions are usually of mediocre quality.... maybe it's just me

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Thanks for responses. Seems like enough to make my mind up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The phrase "those that can, do, those that cant, teach" comes to mind.

If they have the answers to search engine marketing/optimisation, they would be so busy making piles of money selling goods/services on the internet that they wouldnt have time how to tell everyone else how to do it.

It doesn't take much effort to learn the do's and dont's.

All the search engines try to do is give the browsers the most relevent results to their search. Instead of concentrating on trying to get your pages the highest serach engine scores, try and make your website the most relevent.

Basically that means keep adding content, make sure its relevent content and make sure you add it frequently. Become an authoratative source for your area of expertise.

Check out webmasterworld.com, somewhere in there is a 12 month plan to high ranking in the search engines. Its all based around relevent content, which is your only path to long term search engine results.

If you get distracted by the "is a _ rated higer than a - by google" brigade, then be prepared to find the 6th / 27th / 299th placement you gained after months of changing H tags, anchors etc etc, is suddenly worth nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

Over the years I have gone to a couple of SEO workshops and found that the contacts made there on the day with other participants more valuable than the content of the workshop.

Eoin

Advertisement