Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Camcorder

• 17-11-2003 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a good digital camcorder. Any one know of where there are any bargains for one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I bought a 35mm SLR from a crowd in france called pixmania. Anyway, they charge in euro, have free delivery with DHL and work out considerably cheaper than anywhere I've seen here.

They have a JVC digital camcorder for €529 here:

http://www.pixmania.com/camescope/2/onglet.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

The prices on Pixmania are amazing, example :- JVC GR-D20 - €299, best price in I reland, €599?. I got one of these in England for €440. One tip in buying a DVCAM, make sure it`s got DV-IN as well as DV-OUT, that way you can transfer footage to pc, edit and add effects then export it back to tape again without any loss in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by esquier
    The prices on Pixmania are amazing, example :- JVC GR-D20 - €299, best price in I reland, €599?. I got one of these in England for €440. One tip in buying a DVCAM, make sure it`s got DV-IN as well as DV-OUT, that way you can transfer footage to pc, edit and add effects then export it back to tape again without any loss in quality.

They have it for 299 sterling! or 433 yoyos ;)

carb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

I also purchased a DV camcorder from pixmania, it was the cheapest I could find. They didnt have the full order in stock, so dispatched what was in stock, and then sent the rest later, at no extra cost.

OOPS!, you`re right ,carb, euros on the home (french), sterling on the english, just expected the language to change. At least, I don`t feel so bad now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Ok seems that everybody favours pixmania. Thanks guys i'll try there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Have to say, I've bought a few things from E-bay. I'd check there. You'll REALLY get GREAT prices!

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

Yeah good call about ebay.co.uk.
    JVC GR-D20 - €299 for 250 sterling from a commercial seller.
    4 left when I checked.

Many other bargains available on camcorders. Compare price with peats.ie
    for a laugh about "Rip Off Ireland".

Humphrey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I find this german website just as good as the french one

here

though delivery is 50 euro or so, still way cheaper than here. Free delivery from pixmania edges it out though (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 l337

i have been looking at a camera on pixmania... dont see free delivery though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Now you're talking. Anyone got one of these?

Slightly concerned by the 2 x zoom. Also, how much footage do you get on 32mb?

Can you record direct from this to video?

Originally posted by l337
    i have been looking at a camera on pixmania... dont see free delivery though

Yep.
    Seems to be circa 9 euro for delivery to within France or to UK. Assume so for Ireland.
    Thats for small items though.

Is the camcorder a small item ? :)
    A tv costs 30 euro standard delivery so guess it would not be more than this for the delivery charge :)

It's €9 delivery for a camcorder. Which is as good as ****ing free you pedantic bastards!

What about this Canon MV600i?
    It has dv in and dv out (big thing to look for according to you guys on boards) €533 delivered (including the whopping €9 delivery charge before you ask). Looks pretty decent to me.

From pixmania

Optical zoom is good at 18x which counts for adequate zooming(ignore digital zom numbers).
    800,000 CCD for taking still pics, is this any good for taking decent pics ?

Review from Canon

No supernightmode, no USB connection if its needed though firewire is good :)

Still for €524 it is very tempting

At €593, the MV630i includes 8mb multimedia card for storing the pics, slightly higher zoom at 20x plus 'canon progressive photo system' according to their website here

Both cameras look good value, which one to get ? :)

Both are good, depends what features you require, stills from a .8mp ccd are going to be barely acceptable unless you have`nt got a still cam. 16x zooms are enough in my opinion and the digital zooms are mostly unusable. I`d go for the 600i and put the rest towards a good still cam. there`s also the JVC on offer at Dixons for €549, it seems to be fairly good spec, DVIN/OUT.

I've already got a good stills cam (old school... film and all) so I'm not too worried about that end of things. Apparently JVC has a bit of a bad name for customer support and their products not working with Win2000/XP. Canon 600i looks like it might be the winner...

Advertisement