Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use my NEC MultiSync 18.1 inch LCD monitor as a tv?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Q3000

Yes you can if you get a TV tuner Card for your PC but you will need it connected to your pc if you want to watch TV.

The other option is to get a LCD monitor with a built in tuner card like http://store.yahoo.com/lcd-monitor/170mp.html so you can use it as a stand alone TV or a computer monitor but if you are ordering it from the US and intend to use it in Europe make sure the tuner is PAL compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

Is there any way I can use it as a stad-alone TV which is directly connected to my sky receiver or aerial without the use of a PC and tvtuner card?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Okay let's get a few things straight first => TV's scan rate is 15kHz, VGA signal (ie your PC;s) scan rate is 31kHz. Very few monitors of any type (LCD or CRT) will be able to lock onto and display a 15kHz PAL Video signal, even most so-called 'Multiscan' monitors. So basically we need to turn 15kHz PAL format into 31kHz VGA format....

The only way to do this would be to use something called a Scan Doubler or a Scaler. Only catch is that many of the decent ones are VERY expensive because their intended use is to show TV pictures on big CRT projectors in their best format, so a scaler may well end up costing more than your monitor.

If you were to do this you'd be set up to watch your Sky Digibox or whatever.

To get aerial TV you need a TV Tuner - you probably have one already, your VCR.

If you're really lucky you might find an LCD flat panel with video inputs as well as a PC Video socket. I think Argos may have one in the current catalogue but i honestly can't remember. This option would be much better and cheaper than a scaler or scan doubler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

Thanks Red Alert. I may as well go out and buy a flat screen tv for the bedroom then, Any one know of any good places to get them cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Never seen them cheaply but I've seen expensive ones.

For a basic 15 Inch Flat screen TV you're looking at €1000-€1200 Euro

Harvey Norman in Swords have a range, as does your local power city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

You could also try on of these babies.

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=NV1024-N

cost you well under a hundred it's worth a gamble, they do work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

aldi are giving away flat panel monitor w/tv for about 400 yo yo

wish i could afford one.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Originally posted by sirlinux
    You could also try on of these babies.

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=NV1024-N

cost you well under a hundred it's worth a gamble, they do work.

Beware this one is NTSC ONLY !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Wops, tuner isnt pal, only the external inputs support pal, so you would need a video source for this one, But there are plenty more on the market.

Advertisement