Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draw

• 18-11-2003 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

It looks like ireland will be a 2nd seed for the WC draw in December.
    The WC qualifying looks like being made up of 8 groups. 5 groups of 6 teams and 3 groups of 7.
    I think the top 2 teams go thru from each group.

The pots will look something like this

Pot 1
    France, Portugal, Sweden, Czech Republic, Spain, England, Italy, Turkey

Pot 2
    Holland, Poland, Croatia, Belgium, Russia, Denmark, Ireland, Bulgaria

Pot 3
    Slovenia, Romania, Scotland, Serbia & Montenegro, Switzerland, Greece, Ukraine, Slovakia

Pot 4
    Austria, Iceland, Finland, Norway, Israel, Bosnia, Latvia, Wales

Pot 5
    Hungary, Georgia, Belarus, Estonia, Cyprus, Northern Ireland, Lithuania, Macedonia

Pot 6
    Albania, Moldova, Armenia, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands, Malta

Pot 7
    Luxemburg, Andorra, Kazakstan

What group woud you like Ireland to end up in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We were in 8th place the last time the rankings were published and we have dropped to 15th. That could have been a drop from 1st seed to 3rd if we dropped an extra 2 places so we are lucky to be 2nd seeded. Anyway I'd go with this group:

England (I think we would have the easiest chance of beating these home and away)
    IRLELAND
    Slovakia (Easiest?, the Scots are too risky ATM)
    Iceland (the other smaller nations are getting better)
    Northern Ireland (No goals in about 12 games and they would probably cos an upset agaisnt England)
    San Marino
    Kazakstan(I didn't even know they were European)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

A challenging one, and probably worst case scenario:

FRANCE
    IRELAND
    ROMANIA
    NORWAY
    Lithuania
    Albania
    Luxemburg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

Turkey
    Ireland
    Serbia
    Israel
    Cyprus
    Faroes
    Andorra

Heres one you wouldn't want

France
    Ireland
    Greece(improving rapidly)
    Norway
    Hungary
    Albania

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Originally posted by eireboy
    We were in 8th place the last time the rankings were published and we have dropped to 15th. That could have been a drop from 1st seed to 3rd if we dropped an extra 2 places so we are lucky to be 2nd seeded. Anyway I'd go with this group:

England (I think we would have the easiest chance of beating these home and away)
    IRLELAND
    Slovakia (Easiest?, the Scots are too risky ATM)
    Iceland (the other smaller nations are getting better)
    Northern Ireland (No goals in about 12 games and they would probably cos an upset agaisnt England)
    San Marino

Looks good to me. But we could end up with England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland. The 5 nations!!!!
    If we got a group like that and Croker was to be used you'd fill it for all the home games against them.
    Also you would imagine it would be a very unpredictable group as England Scotland Wales and Ireland will all take points of each other.

We could end up in the absolute group from hell if we got this
    Turkey,
    Ireland,
    Ukraine/Slovenia/Serbia,
    Latvia
    Georgia
    Albania
    Kazakstan

I couldn't see us getinng out of that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Have switzerland retired from international football?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by manic_monster
    Turkey
    Ireland
    Serbia
    Israel
    Cyprus
    Faroes
    Andorra
    Serbia would be one of the teams I wouldn't want and also Turkey, I can't see us getting anything out of both the Turkey matches but I think if we played England it would be a hard one to predict. Although, i we are playing our home games in England next year I can't see us qualifying with any teams in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Originally posted by Imposter
    Have switzerland retired from international football?

Thanks. Editted my original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

holland in pot 2? is that right?

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    holland in pot 2? is that right?
    Well they didn't qualify for World Cup 02 and they are going to have a hard match against the Scots to qualify for Euro 2004 so, yes it is right. The seedings are done by how well teams have done in competitive matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

why is it that russia got into the Euro '04 competition? shud they not be in with Asia?

Holland are 2nd seeded so we wont be in their group but we'll probbaly get them in play offs as usual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by colster
    But we could end up with England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland. The 5 nations!!!!
    If we got a group like that and Croker was to be used you'd fill it for all the home games against them.
    Also you would imagine it would be a very unpredictable group as England Scotland Wales and Ireland will all take points of each other.

that would be football at it's very finest, never seen before. there are no better fans, no more passionate teams than those 5. it would be a mini-tournament itself. tickets would be like golddust and it would grip all the nations for a year.

this would be a dream group for me, im not too bothered about how easy the group is, if you get an easy group things just get harder in the actual tournament, if you get a tough group, you can knock out good sides and have a real go in the wc if u qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

The Easiest group would be
    Spain
    Ireland
    Slovakia
    Iceland
    Cyprus Or Nothern Ireland
    San Marino
    Luxemburg

Originally posted by Spud
    The Easiest group would be
    Spain
    Ireland
    Slovakia
    Iceland
    Cyprus Or Nothern Ireland
    San Marino
    Luxemburg
    Spain>>>>>>>>>>>>>>England.
    We would easily beat England with 80,000 in Croker. BTW, it say's on the back page of the Herald that a few Dublin GAA teams have decided to vote for foreign sports played in Croker. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Sorry if Im a bit late on this, but dont we have to use either Croke park or a foreign ground in all WC qualifiers?

Originally posted by Tellox
    Sorry if Im a bit late on this, but dont we have to use either Croke park or a foreign ground in all WC qualifiers?
    We can use Lansdowne Road but the capacity will be cut down to 18,000 because we will only be allowed use the East and West stands. Everyone is saying that if the GAA don't let Ireland play in Croker we will have to play in the UK, I think that is out of the question. We are not going to get more than 18,000 fans in the UK and I would prefer to have 18,000 fans in Lansdowne than in Parkhead and Ireland will still be actually playing at home. Saying all that, the GAA will give in as they need the money and they don't want to get on the bad side of the fans, most of whom support soccer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

my group:

swedan
    ireland
    romania(there so **** at the moment!!! )
    iceland
    cyprus ( id pick N ireland but against Rep Ireland it would be risky)
    san marino
    luxembourg(if there has to be a seventh team )

to me that looks like the easeiest group although it looks a lot harder than

switzerland
    russia
    ireland
    georgia
    albania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Group from hell with Turkey in it?

Someone hasnt been watching Turkey lately.

Originally posted by Big Ears

romania(there so **** at the moment!!! )
    They were just one point away from coming joint top of their qualifying group and they put up a good fight to get beaten 1-0 away to Italy in a friendly the other day. They also have players like Mutu and Chivu which I wouldn't fancy playing. I think I'll stick with Slovakia.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by colster
    The WC qualifying looks like being made up of 8 groups. 5 groups of 6 teams and 3 groups of 7.
    I think the top 2 teams go thru from each group.

Unfortunately, that ain't the case and there's only 13 places up for grabs....one less than 2002.

The eight group winners and the best two runners up will qualify automatically for the finals.
    The remaining six group runners up will then contest play-offs to decide the remaining three qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

We are not going to get more than 18,000 fans in the UK

Celtic park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

This is gonna sound weird but I'm hoping Ireland get a TOUGH group (at least in regard to 1st and 3rd seeds). We usually only seem to qualify when we get put in the ubiqutious group of death - Euro88 had Belgium,Bulgaria,Scotland , WC94 had Spain & Denmark, WC2002 had Portugal and Holland.

Also I hope we get drawn in a 7 team group instead of a six as we usually more consistant at dispatching the weaker sides in comparison to other qualification contenders. We qualified for WC94 out of a 7 team group purely because Denmark messed up against the weaker sides.

So heres my choices....

Group 7
    =======
    1) Spain <- We've qualified twice for a tournament with them so they're a good omen )

2) IRELAND

3) Romania <- just to make it interesting

4) Wales <- have had their once a decade 'close-but-no-cigar' campaign and now only have another ten years of being whipped by all and sundry to look forward to.

5) Cyprus <- Have lost every game they've ever played against to us. We beat them 4-0 home and away during the Wc2002 qualifers. They're victims of RepIrelands SECOND ever biggest win.

6) Malta <- they've lost every match they've ever played against us (7 times) and are the victims of the Republics biggest ever victory (8-0). What more could you want in a whipping boy!

7) Andorra <- they regularily keep scorelines relatively respectible against all sides unlike Luxembourg who teams like Romania/Spain could beat 7-0 compared to us maybe only beating 2-0 - and then maybe causing us to go out goal difference. Wouldn't fancy an away journey to Kazakstan either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

They were just one point away from coming joint top of their qualifying group and they put up a good fight to get beaten 1-0 away to Italy in a friendly the other day. They also have players like Mutu and Chivu which I wouldn't fancy playing. I think I'll stick with Slovakia.:)

if u watched that italy game u would know it could have been 8 or 9 nil to italy and should have been.Thier group wasnt that hard anyway.(ours was easier though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

England
    Ireland
    Scotland
    Wales
    N.Ireland
    Faroes
    Andorra

It'd be challenging,but it'd be brilliant..there'd be a ton of home and away fans at almost every match..

Advertisement