Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Kept my deposit

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I think you can claim for a few years (not sure how many), but if you say the landlord wouldn't give you a rent book then i'm sure you'll be OK with revenue.
    Its a lot of money when you add it all up.

One other thing while i'm on it.
    A few of my mates have been telling they didnt realize that a couple (married or not) can BOTH claim rent allowance on a house bought by them EVEN IF only one of their names is on the mortgage.
    So anyone in that position, its worth a lot of money to you to chase it. Again you can backdate a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    A few of my mates have been telling they didnt realize that a couple (married or not) can BOTH claim rent allowance on a house bought by them EVEN IF only one of their names is on the mortgage.
    Whoa! Careful there! They can claim mortgage interest credit, not rent credit (rent allowance is separate - it's part of the Supplementary Welfare Scheme). Married couples have the option of being assessed jointly or separately, depending on their preference.

And regarding the Supplementary Welfare Scheme, it will cover rental or mortgage to certain limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Sorry for the confusion.
    mortgage interest credit is the one i was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

is Rent relief proportional to the amount you pay in rent? myself and my girlfriend pay 900 a month between us.

about 1/5 of my monthly wages goes on tax, so anything I could get back would be a great help.

i feel the urge to rant about the state of the roads.. but its off topic. so i wont. [sigh]

oh yeah, and where do I get a rent book form? tax office?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is proportional but it is capped at a level far, far below what most people would be paying in rent these days; you can only claim relief on up to €1,270 of your rent per year (for a single person under 55) Multiply x 20% and so this is worth €254 pa to you. So for practical purposes, it is a fixed sum for everyone. Full details on www.oasis.gov.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by eth0_
    Can you just shop 'em?
    Knock yourself out. Might as well get some enjoyment out of the small things in life and get a tax rebate at the same time.

Originally posted by PAPILLION
    oh yeah, and where do I get a rent book form? tax office?
    Lots of newsagents will have them.

Advertisement