Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N11 ridiculous speed limit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

You could be costing someone their life, there could be an ambulance or fire brigade at the back of that 10 car queue you just created by hogging the right hand lane, the right hand lane is for overtaking, get back into the left lane and stop being such a gimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Something tells me there are a lot of boy racers here. Hey lads, your balls will get bigger all on their own when puberty kicks in; you don't have to drive a car at excessive speed to feel manly. And about that abulance, well, you'll need one eventually if you keep up the speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by BrianD3
    If a suitable gap appears in the left hand lane, then he's obliged to move into that gap

Taking the words right out of my mouth:)

This works very well on the Continent. A typical scenario would be something like this: Car A is driving at 70mph overtaking series of lorries doing 50mph. Another car B comes up behing him doing 90mph. The driver in car A assesses the speed of car B and moves into a gap (could be tiny). The driver in car B drives overtakes him at 90mph fully accommodating the driver of car A, i.e he assesses the speed of car A and the size of the gap. If the gap is very small he might accelerate even further to make sure that car A can remain his speed and safely overtake the next lorry after himself

summary of the result generalising a bit for effect:

Continent:

Courtesy among drivers happy to drive at the speed they choose. Smooth and eco-friendly driving even at higher speeds. Safety

Ireland:

Everybody becomes a wanker: the wanker that prevents people from overtaking because he feels they are going fast enough, and the wanker that feels he has to drive up previous wanker's arse and flash him. Not safe, lots of breaking and accelerating using up way more fuel than driving smoothly but faster. Road rage, stress

My twocents ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Time to put the thread back on topic:

I drove the new section of the N11 today and I totally agree the 40mph limit is stupid. I think they are going to raise the limit to 50mph, I saw some signs that were turned around showing 50mph near the hotel exit.

As for the 40mph limit from newtown bypass to rathnew, its totaly needed as there is works with crossovers and diversions not safer to do more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If memory serves you do 40mph on the N11 and then at the turn off for Newtownmountkennedy has an end of speed limit sign (60mph) and shortly afterwards you are back to 40mph.

Daft - it's a bit like the 50mph zone in Chapelizod if you come off the Kylemore road and on to the Lucan road - Count until you see the 40mph signs again (one is very overgrown) - it's only a few seconds.- If they moved the signs back a bit then merging should be safer...

• Advertisement
Advertisement