Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I connect another P.C to broadband line?

• 18-11-2003 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I've got a laptop at home running off the recentl installed broadband. Its through Eircom and I have the installation cd and other details. Its working fine thru the laptop, no problems.

What i'm wondering is whether i can connect another p.c up instead (move the laptop away) and install all the necessary files again. i want it to work off the existing account. i'll be using the same login details etc. is there account info on the laptop that is exclusive to that computer or can i connect any number of machines on the one line?

I'm not to savvy with broadband yet so this probably has a simple answer.

TIA

q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Buy a router, and connect the modem to it, and then you can connect as many PC's as you like (well as many as the router accepts).

Just set up your network settings.
    I'm sure someone here could help you with those.

Oh routers cost about 60-100 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

no i don't think that's really necessary. all i want to do is bring another p.c to the line and connect with that. ie swap from the laptop. i only want to use one at at a time.

think of it in dial-up terms. you connected the modem to the phone line, dialed up and connected. then if you wanted to use another p.c you'd do the same. This is the same process but obviously using the broadband modem instead thru USB. As i said i have the modem software to allow this.

maybe i'm wrong but this should be more straight forward than buying a router isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

well do both your pcs have network cards???

if so you could connect them together and share your internet connection....Cross Over Cable should do the job.

well do both your pcs have network cards???

yes they do
    if so you could connect them together and share your internet connection....Cross Over Cable should do the job.

no i want to run one without the other. just want to know if its possible to swap each one depending where i want to d/l data to. i might have to do internet connection if it doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

connect one pc at a time to the ethernet port on the router and set it up. Fron then on in, its only a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting the wire from your laptop/pc to the router.

and by router I mean your eircom modem which has a usb port and ethernet port

EDIT... sorry I've just reread your first post. Yes you can use the same logon details from your second computer

• Advertisement

connect one pc at a time to the ethernet port on the router and set it up. Fron then on in, its only a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting the wire from your laptop/pc to the router.

and by router I mean your eircom modem which has a usb port and ethernet port

great i'll try that. thanks.
    EDIT... sorry I've just reread your first post. Yes you can use the same logon details from your second compu

that's what i thought. thanks again.

Advertisement