Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Battlestar Gallactica mini-series. ooooh!

Options
  • 18-11-2003 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I've not got broadband, and can't get it at work through the firewall, so someone else will have to have a look at the previews and let us know if it looks any good or not, but with a bit of luck they could revive a classic sci-fi series.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

no sign of it on sci-fi uk yet though. looked right through december and they have nothing listed so far.

fingers crossed they get their hands on it in the new year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I remember as a kid rushing home from mass to watch it every sunday morning :)

They intend to change it a great deal, i can only hope they do it justice.

Looks good, the trailers are kinda short!
    I'll be in the states just before xmas, so I'll have a look at an episode then, doesn't say what night it's on tho or does it?

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

it looks very good. effects wise anyway.
    the new breed of cylons now look andact like humans so that might be crap. (loved those auld cylons with the synthesied voice. was convinced for years as a young fella that squinting my eyes made me look like a cylon with one eye :p)
    hard to say much more about it as there's only 1 decent 3 min trailer, all the others are just clips from it as far as i can see.
    still looks promising...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Looks ok I guess but... Weren't Starbuck and Boomer both guys?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jasus that site is slow.

I've never seen battlestar gallatica, but I've heard so many great things about it. Hopefully I'll be able to watch the mini-series and not be lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

premiere's in the US on the 8th December in the US, so hopefully we won't be too far behind.

you never know maybe Network 2 will have it sooner, they have a knack for showing stuff before anyone else :D

might be fun with girls in the main roles. guess they know if you want geeks to pay attention you need to show a bit of cleavage. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lazarus

You should read the review on http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16490

The new Cylons look good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Originally posted by lazarus

youll want to fix that link, its....

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16490

an amusing read alright, just not terribly optimistic about the show.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by lazarus

The new Cylons look good

man that has to be one of the slowest sites ive ever seen...

took me forever just to get the first page up.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

ah I didnt realise the aintitcool.com domain worked aswell, it timed out on me 3 or 4 times so i assumed something it was an incorrect link, sorry :)

It seems to be working ok now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Ouch! Not a good review.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This not only looks like its going to be utter rubbish but also makes Enterprise look like a well scripted tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bonzo

This looks like it going to be a complete travesty.
    One of the best sci-fi shows ever and they are "re-inventing it".
    It doesnt need re-inventing.
    Richard Hatch made a promo himself for a 25-years on version a couple of years back and it looked cool.
    Had all the original living characters and a cool storyline.
    But of course Universal didnt want to do that.
    Even Glen A Larson isn't happy with the new series...

But then again I will still end up watching it..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I watched the first episode last night folks and I thought it was excellent. The acting is very good for a TV production, the camera work alternates between static shots and the roaming/bouncey style favoured these days for urgency - but it works really well and they use the same techniques for the CGI battles so the visual style meshes well between that and 'real' camera work. It's very character driven but in the style of Band of Brothers it doesn't get hung up on any one group, and there is enough action to keep things exciting (though this is a little more peripheral than I expected the action isn't ignored for the sake of space fillers and cliched emotional moments, there's so much going on you won't be sitting there just killing time until the next battle scene). The old characters are much more human than their predecessors, the acting is better (as would be expected with the increase in standards over the years), and yup the girl is great as Starbuck the whole way she carries herself, her attitude etc. Actually the re-writes make a lot of sense and are tie together pretty well, all making for a believable universe
    For example this takes place 40 years AFTER the human cylon war, in which a nervous piece has been kept. The Galactica is basically a relic about to be decomissioned, lacking networked computers, using manual doors etc. - basically designed with minimal computer interaction as the cylons (being machines obviously enough) were adept at disrupting advanced AI during the war for which she was built. This is one of the reasons it ends up being the last Battlestar after this attack...It's not an Enterprise situation where it happens to be the shining ilght of the fleet, always winning against impossible odds, just a simple but logical reason for it's effectiveness when others failed.
    Also the evolution of Cylons to simulate humans. It's obvious from a few things mentioned at the start that they had no intention of keeping a peace forever. Creating versions of themselves that could infiltrate human society made a lot of sense.

If you watch it expecting an updated version of the original forget it (as you should be able to tell from all the writeups). But if you like the core 'Humanity beaten, rag tag fleet with one champion ship left' idea and watch with an open mind I think ye'll like it, a lot.

Now hopefully part 2 can keep it up, 'tis on in just over 6 hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Righty, after last night's piece of excellence I found one staggering flaw.
    IT'S ONLY 2 EPISODES LONG
    I figured it would be on all week and the little cliffhanger at the end was just a prelude to episode 3. But noooo. blx.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

watched this tonite, bloody excellent. was completely surprised by it and wasn't expecting it to be this good. looking forward to the next part, the new cylon attack ships and the cylons themselves are well nice bits of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Got 3hours of it from a friend, really enjoyed it, some of changes in camera angle on the ships are a bit sharp and sudden other than that really enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Any ETA on it hitting Irish screens

Sky one
    sci-fi

????????

Or can I get a good quality down load anywhere

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seen the first half yesterday, did'ent get time to watch the rest yet.
    I have to say it ain't bad at all
    Not to sure if I like the whole human/cylon idea though
    you never know maybe Network 2 will have it sooner, they have a knack for showing stuff before anyone else

yes thats true, but RTE also have a knack of airing it at the other side of midnight and then pulling the program because nobody watches it, imagine that!
    ala, Stargate etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Sky Movies are showing it in Feb, think its the 16th and 17th ... i think. Theres a post on the TV board about it.

• Advertisement

Just watched it last night and its good, its well done.
    It seemed raunchier than the original....

And as for boomers viper, the control panel in my tractor is newer looking :D

Saw the first episode of it last night and am well impressed.
    Just have to wait till the second episode finishes downloading before i burn it to cd and bring it home....been trying to download it for the last 3 days...wish i could get access to bit torrent or kazaa lite from work instead of stupid bearshare:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I saw the BSG 2003 mini-series... I rather enjoyed it.
    I think they should have done a next generation though and said that it was 40 years after the original series - the way they set it up showing the old-style Cylons and Vipers and talking about previous battles - it would have been quite easy to do, all they had to do was give the new crew new names (instead of recycling the old ones). Apart from that, not enough of the metal cylons, but the space scenes were cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by Lawdie
    Any ETA on it hitting Irish screens

Sky one
    sci-fi

????????

Or can I get a good quality down load anywhere

i am sure it is available on something like Bittorrent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, but that wouldn't be legal would it. :p

and anyway, you know we wouldn't do that sort of thing here. we're all good boys and girls. :D

anyway, for those interested, it's going to be shown onSky Movies 2 at the following dates and times:

16th February

Battlestar Galactica Ep 1: SM2 - 9pm

17th February

Battlestar Galactica Ep 2: SM2 - 9pm

22nd February

(all that's listed so far) then

Battlestar Galactica Ep 1&2 Back To Back - SM2 5pm

Taken from the sky movies site:
    unlike most cult shows with fans looking for a revival, Galactica lives on. In 2003 the fans were rewarded with an all new 2-part episode that revisited the world and characters not seen in 20 years.

So prepare to be beamed out of this world as the all-new Battlestar Galactica comes back to our screens in a 3-hour, 2 part special, breathing life back into the original and fondly remembered TV series including electrifying special effects.

While maintaining the original plot line, times have changed since the honourable war ship fought the Cylon enemies and now the old battleship Galactica is due to be converted into a flying museum.

It is a different story on Caprica, however, where they await a swift and deadly attack from Cylon warriors. What is left of the human race becomes almost extinct as the battle between humans and machines commences again.

Prompting 25 years of popularity and debate, Battlestar Galactica is back with a vengeance and comes exclusively to Sky Movies in February 2004.

i was hoping it was going to be a bit longer than 2 episodes, but at least there's 3 hours of stuff there to be getting on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

SciFI Channel in the US have picked up the series... they start shooting in the summer for October/November series start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Well, I really enjoyed it..Wasn't perfect, but certainly enjoyable...

Oh, and does anybody think the new Baltar looks like Siddeq el Fadil from DS9?

Cant wait for the series. thought the miniseries was brill.

here's the atricle on the new series from
    scifi.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ijc

I have just seen the preview for the mini series on Sky movies today.

The new cyclons sound suspiciously like terminators in that they have become indistinguishable from humans. So whereas the original Galactica was always threatened by legal action from George Lucas, perhaps this incarnation will have James Cameron on their case.

As for Starbuck being a woman. They seem to have devised that character change simply for the "girl power" factor. The original Starbuck would, I feel, have distracted a cylon with a humorous quip and then sneaked out the back. This female version would just knock it out.

I'm still expecting the show to be good but its probably lost the sense of fun of the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shels

so did ne c both of the episodes. i got in last monday from work to watch it and sky cut off our service i was fuming. it looks ggreat but im not sure about starbuck being a woman. just doesnt work for me. starbuck was a womaniser. which is wat we liked about him. i even heard boomer is a woman. but i think that they have changed it alot from the orginal which is good. just hope the battle scenes are a bit better looking. lol

Advertisement