Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what broadband prob asked before

• 18-11-2003 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times before but i'm wondering which broadband service to take up and what i need to get my broadband working.

I'm within range of an IBB mast so should i go for them?

If not which of these is the better options for gaming, downloading?

Esat, UTV, Eircom or netsource? is there anyone else i'm missing?

I i go for DSL what do i need to get for my computer? i was told to avoid usb dsl modems do people agree with this?

and what do i have to do to install the stuff?

regards

data

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I think Eircom are doing the best modem at the moment which has USB or Ethernet connections but they have the smallest cap 4Gigs but good and stable pings.

IOL are also good for pings AFAIK and have a larger CAP nit sure what their current modem offering is.

UTV I think were having some problems recently from what I read here but alot of people think their good but you have to transfer your telephony service to them, which maybe good or bad depending on the type and duration of calls you make.

Netsource, Forget these jokers

Im sure users of the different services can enlighten you futher, i'm using eircom myself but ADSL not RADSL I have no cause for complaint, steady reliable connection.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah an 8gb cap seems much more reasonable. thanks for your opinion thats what i'm looking for from people ESAT looking good at the moment

anyone else?

being the fantastically brilliant person i am i put this thread in after hours instead of broadband. if a mod would be so kind as to move it and delet this post?

regards

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I heard from a alot of people that IBB sucks for gaming AND downloading
    very unreliable, i only heard though
    im looking for a BB service aswell, dont know whcih to get though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

sci.tech-netts/comms-broadband-all the info on all the services is in there-just a couple of clicks away from here on boards.ie!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gsand
    sci.tech-netts/comms-broadband-all the info on all the services is in there-just a couple of clicks away from here on boards.ie!

sure but i'm looking for peoples personal experience with the individual isp's, what they think of them, would they go with them if they did it all again etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

well i got eircom bb last friday and its been alright, u might want to ask some users wiht a bit more "experience" with bb though. go to the BB board and theres loads of stuff about it. Big reviews of all isps offerings and lots of threads on people experience of the different services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

using esat/iol radsl 512k for about 2 or 3months now. fantastic. great pings in games. 8gig cap. and consistently fast at any time of the day. fvcking marvelous! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Data if your looking for gameing more than download's go for Esat radsl ...it's cheap enough free modem and i think free connection
    8 gig a month cap which though it seem's small is more than enough for any thing you want to do as long as it's not leaveing your Kazza program on for hour's and hour's downloading "video's"..........Over 4 months i have iol broadband and i still havent gotten to 6 gig overall lol

45 euro a month

www.iol.ie and press on the big broadband picture to find out more

I have it and it's great it's NEVER down and the speed if great ping's 153ms to american army server's (which are in yankland)....:)

I wouldnt go for IBB if your after gameing
    Eircom cap is smaller and more expensive
    NS.....ewwwww the amouth of problum's they have :rolleyes:

not too hot on this ping thing but i assume its the lower the better is it?

what type of pings can be expected to japanese servers for FFXI for example which is what i'll be playing majorly. when i saw i need downloads its not to download 700mb movies or anything. typically just music, drivers, some software stuff.

is much of the cap eaten into with gaming and is there a counter to tell you how much you have left?

also is the supplied modem of the usb variety and if so is this good or bad?
    also what do you have to do to install it?

cheers

data

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124036&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

gaming wouldn't chew up too much cap, but in some cases it can.

If your cap is a TRANSFER cap, you can use up as much as 10kb's (up AND down) per second. which is 36megs an hour. thats the most i'd expect anyone to use up on ANY game.

and just a point to take into account, which is better. Constantly fast speeds (60kb's) and an 8 gig cap, meaning you can transfer a max of 8 gigs before they can charge you.

OR

A connection where speeds are not always 60kbps, but can average as low as 20kb's, which means that at 20kb's you could download at least 51 gigabytes a month without being charged. (if you had full speeds for the whole month you could download over 150gb's, much more than the average harddrive).

EDIT: A USB modem is not preferable, an ethernet one would be MUCH better. Usb can drop connections, give high pings, and slow down your computer when the modem is in use.

In relation to pings, the lower the better. Obviously enough if it takes 10 miliseconds to send some info to a server and get a reply, thats quite fast, but if it took 10 seconds, you wouldn't really be able to do much as you'd be waiting 10 seconds for a reply every time you try and do something.

not too hot on this ping thing but i assume its the lower the better is it?

Yep lower the better ....152ms to yankyland is great
    what type of pings can be expected to japanese servers for FFXI for example which is what i'll be playing majorly.

Not sure it would depend on the game's netcode as well as Iol speed ......you could get 200-300ms i would guess ...But FF12 isnt really a split second reaction game from what i know of the FF game's so that's fine
    when i saw i need downloads its not to download 700mb movies or anything. typically just music, drivers, some software stuff.

That's fine ....
    is much of the cap eaten into with gaming and is there a counter to tell you how much you have left?

i havent a clue what FF12 will be like when it's out m8 so i dont know how it will effect your cap ....i also never play RPG on line so i really dont know .......However I play American army Bridge commander Battlefeild 1942 desert combat and i have never gone close to breaking my cap id say you will be fine..

And yes their's a counter to tell you how much bandwith your useing per day :)

also is the supplied modem of the usb variety and if so is this good or bad?

Yep it's a usb 1,1 modem im useing it and it's fine....you would get a better ping with a Ethernet modem though :) but their not free lol
    also what do you have to do to install it?

ANYONE could install it m8.........it really is simple ..........1.put your modem where u want it .....2.Put the Usb lead into the pc and modem ....3.Install some softwere into your pc for the modem......4.put your Telephone cable into your modem .....5.Put the line splitter into your Phone socket and put the modem's telephone cable into it .......And they enjoy your broadband access

;)

cheers bizmark

are those line splitters just those little things you plug into the phone socket which allows you to put more then one phone line into it? i think we use one already for my normal modem

usb1.1 modem, well as you say its free, after the 12month contract period i presume you just give it back if you want to finish with the service yes?

also if i wanted to invest in a ethernet modem i could just unplug that and install that in my lan socket yes?

oh and yeah i doubt i'd need great pings to play FFXI its more just strolling around the place and people are saying its playable on a 56k modem

are those line splitters just those little things you plug into the phone socket which allows you to put more then one phone line into it?
    #

Kinda .....But dont worry you get 2 of them with the Modem just use the one's u get with the modem k m8
    after the 12month contract period i presume you just give it back if you want to finish with the service yes?

ya if you want to get rid of Iol...either that on iol will break your knee cap's :D
    also if i wanted to invest in a ethernet modem i could just unplug that and install that in my lan socket yes?

aye
    oh and yeah i doubt i'd need great pings to play FFXI its more just strolling around the place and people are saying its playable on a 56k modem

Well if it's playable on 56K FFX1 must not be trowing alot of info down your Line ......20meg a hour on broadband maybe at most <--- you will never break your cap with that lol
    cheers bizmark

No problum

Advertisement