Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free offer from Microsoft and Computer Associates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

I don't think it has particularly much to do with Microsoft, but anyhow, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

I wish I'd taken that advice before 'upgrading' to NIS/NAV 2004. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭oakers

Lukin,

What happened when you upgraded??

I've been hearing some really bad stories about this!

Thanks in advance for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Microsoft enforce the use of E-trust on their own internal network.....

make your own mind up.....

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by IronMan
    http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2003/11/18/rtr1151891.html

One years free antivirus and firewall package. From e-trust antivirus. The Vole have their finger involved in the pie though. Is this package any good, or should I just stick to AVG?

I use eTrust and have been using it since the days it was InnoculateIT . I have had no problems with it - it never goes mad, has regular updates and takes up very little cpu time.

My only experience of the norton software is when people mention that they had difficulty installing/upgrading?removing it.

Originally posted by oakers
    Lukin,

What happened when you upgraded??

I've been hearing some really bad stories about this!

Thanks in advance for the info.

Well, it takes up waaay too much resources, especially since I'm still living in the land of the PIIIs. It does annoying things like pop up a message above the system tray informing you that ***.exe is waiting for a scan of file.ext. Instead of two processes running in 2002, there now seems to be at least 4, and perhaps 6.

As for NIS. Oh - My - God. I thought Zone Alarm Pro was bad, but that's just ridiculous. It removes random elements from web pages, it seems. For example, the ENN news pages will display the menus, graphics, headlines, etc., but the actual story is gone! Disable NIS, do a refresh, and voilà, there it is. Blooming ridiculous. I must find out if there is a way of optomising it to act like a firewall, instead of some kind of freaky censor.

[Edit: It was a clean install, by the way. I had it installed first on an XP Home box, but it kept giving messages every other minute (literally), complaining about something. The site recommended uninstalling, deleting the Program folder if it was still there, and re-installing. Didn't work. I had NAV 2002 on beforehand, but uninstalled it before installing 2004. I installed XP Pro a week or so later (not just for that, I was doing it anyway), and NAV installation went fine then.]

• Advertisement

Jaysus!

Glad I'm not using Norton products any more!

A couple of months ago I was running NIS 2003 and had been for a while. I started to get the sneaking suspicion that it wasn't doing what it was supposed to. I don't honestly know why; my system just did a couple of odd things that made me think!

I eventually gave in and removed it completely. Following this with an install of Zone Alarm Pro 4 (with all the add blocking junk turned off!) and Mcafee pro 7.

As soon as mcafee was up to date I ran a full scan and found 24 virus infected files that norton seemed quite happy to leave there??????

Due to this I now have mcafee pro 8 and zone alarm 4 running and I've totally gone off the whole "Norton" thing!

I've always find they do actually do their stuff - I've never had a virus while NAV's been up to date, etc., BUT it's the crap that they add on that bugs me. It's grand for wee Mary or Joe who knows how to check their e-mail and no more, but when you're as impatient as me, and it takes an age for something to happen.. Gaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh.

I'm sure you know how I feel.

Oh, and I don't use MacAfee products because I have had two different versions that decided they were going to stop Windows booting. At least NAV never did that. I don't think I would trust them again.

LMAO!

In summary we've established that everything in its own way "Sucks" but it's just down to what the individual can get functioning correctly on their system without screwing it up! LOL :D

You never know, someone, someday might actually release something that pleases everyone regarding funcionality and customisability. Sorry, I was floating off in to a dream world there!

Advertisement