Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet problems

Options
  • 18-11-2003 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

This problem has only started happening recently, no idea what's causing it or how to fix it.

When I connect (dial-up) the two little computers don't come up at the bottom of the screen anymore, neither does a box pop-up saying 'You are connected to blah blah'. I've made sure that the box to show icon in notification area was checked. When I click on the short cut to connect (after Im connected) it just comes up asking me to connect, even though I am connected. Click Dial or connect, and the window just disappears.

I've tried making new connections but it's the same. These connections don't show up in My Network Connections either btw.

Windows XP, SP1.
    IE 6
    Esat NoLimits
    Athlon 1.3
    384 RAM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

within the properties of the connection make sure that show icon in taskbar when connected is ticked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I've made sure that the box to show icon in notification area was checked.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

this might be a bit of a stupid question but, when u r "supposedly" connected can u go onto any websites? Cuz towards the end of my 56k days my modem didn't have any sound when it was dialling up, but it still working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Mornin

A couple of things

1. What is your default internet connection .. CLICK tools -> Options -> Check Never dial a connection

It might be that you have more than 1 account and someone set to always dial other account

2. Are you working offline in IE .. click File and Uncheck Work Offline

3. Are you /have connected to a network that uses a proxy. Some proxy connections overwrite the dial-up connection settings.

Click Tools -> Options -> Connections . Highligh the Esat connection .. click Settings. Make sure all the values are correct including the proxy settings.

HTH

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Internet Options--->Connections

Remove all your connections and start again.

No luck, reinstall DUN...

As someone said, can you surf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You may wanto check the number being dialled-up aswell you could be infected by some trojan that has changed your dial-up number and ****3d up your DUN in the process.....

this might be a bit of a stupid question but, when u r "supposedly" connected can u go onto any websites? Cuz towards the end of my 56k days my modem didn't have any sound when it was dialling up, but it still working fine.

Yeah I can surf/play games/ping stuff and all perfectly. I just can't disconnect or view my connection.

It might be that you have more than 1 account and someone set to always dial other account

Noe, checked this. All fine.

Remove all your connections and start again.

Gonna try this now. What's DUN and how do I reinstall it? :)

Thanks for the replies.

Edit: Deleted all connections and made new ones with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Firstly switch you control panel to classic view, go to you netwrok connections folder, delete everything that is in there, make a new connection. When the new connection is made, connect for the first time, after you connect, dbl click on the connection and a box should come up saying you are connected and giving you 2 options, properties and disconnect. Click on the disconnect one and make sure you disconnect, if you od just place and new shortcut on your desktop.

Okay, just deleted everything again. After I make a new connection it works fine, the two little computers appear down the bottom, I can disconnect and all that.

After I log off and log back on, or reboot or anything, it screws up. The connection also disappears from Network Places.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Sounds like you might have some scumware on your machine. Run through the usual stuff, firstly download some ad-aware software and scan your machine with it. Make sure your anti-virus software is updated then scan your machine with that, when your machine reboots, do a ctrl-alt-del and see whats running in the background, take note of anything you dont recognise and kill it. Run MSCONFIG and see what is starting up with your machine, try using a diagnostic startup. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Sounds like W32.Nachia to me.
    Mess up random things usually relating to the internet.
    I used to have it and it would show the dial up status, but you couldn't disconnect or view the connection.

Ran a virus scan (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp) and Adaware. Adaware found some tracking cookies but nothing different, virus scan showed up nothing.

How to I go about reinstalling DUN? (Dial-up Networking right?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Had this exact problem about a year ago...
    Solution that worked for me:
    Register the Following Dlls

1. Click Start, click Run, and then type cmd.exe on the Open line.

2. Type the following lines, and then press ENTER after you type each line:

regsvr32 netshell.dll
    regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
    regsvr32 netman.dll

3. Restart the computer.

The rest of the article along with some additional suggestions can be found in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase @ http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254631

Tried that just now Santy but it didn't work :/

How do I reinstall DUN?

Bah, should work... you did remember to reboot didn't you :p
    Or check the M$ site, it had a load of other things to try.

Bah this is stupid.

Just did it again, rebooted, deleted the connection, made a new one. Connected, the two computers appeared, I could disconnect and view properties and all that. I then went into Network Connections, the connection was there (as it usually is after just making a new one) but then I pressed F5 a few times and it disappeared, as did the the computers from the bottom right hand side of the taskbar. :/

Edit: I've tried everything on that page, no help.

Gah, that problem drove me nuts for weeks, so much so - that I downloaded a third party dialup manager until I got it fixed.
    I feel your pain big time :(

Bah. I'll try a third party dialup manager so.

Which one did you use? Im downloading ConnectEasy atm.

Can't remember the name, think I got it off tucows.com though.
    I think I'd reinstall my OS if I were you, but then I'm a glutton for punishment. ;)

I got DUN Manager. It seems to fine, prefer the default one though.

I'll try to find my XP cd tomorrow. More suggestions are welcome. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement