Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my mate having memory problems

• 18-11-2003 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭

he was upgrading his memory on his ABit KD7

and he has 256mb ddr400 Corsair and decided to buy another stick on 512mb ddr400

now that he has stuck it in the pc freezes.

it works fine with the 256 memory in but when he sticks in the 512 it doesn't and also the 512 doesn't work on it's own.

he's said he memtested the new dimm for 9 hours and got no errors.

he was on abit/corsair forum and the best they came up with was power supply is not enough. but he has a cheiftec 340w.

any1 that can help him

cheers

neil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

are both corsair & both same latency? and both ecc (or non-ecc)?

How did he memtest it? - if it dont work I mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it works but it locks up after 5 minutes in windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

perhaps he needs to up the ram voltage, see what voltage that corsair obtained the rated specifications at?

corsair ram is warrantied up to a vdimm of 2.8V

he's tried all that.

this is a mail i got from him today explaining problem in detail...

Hi,

I'm running an ABIT KD7 with AMD Athlon XP2200+ with Corsair 256MB DDR XMS3200 CAS2 (at 200mhz in BIOS).

I bought Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2PT Platinum CAS2. Turned off PC, put on anti-static wrist band and installed it...

I've spent the last 5 days trying to get my system to be stable.
    It works fine with just my old memory in, but with the new 512meg stick alone, or with both together, the system locks up after a while (sometimes an hour sometimes five minutes). Total lock up: sound loops, keyboard stops responding, mouse too.

I've tried absolutely everything I can think of. I also have been through to big threads on Corsair Support and on Abit .

I've run memtest86 on the new 512meg stick, and on both together - and so far I've had no errors. I've tried so many different memory timings, voltages etc.

here is my sys spec:

Abit KD7 with latest BIOS
    AMD Athlon XP 'Thoroughbred' 2200+ OEM
    Corsair 256MB DDR XMS3200 CAS2
    Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2PT Platinum CAS2
    Chieftech Scorpio TX-10SLD with HPC-340-201 - 340 WATT PSU

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB 7200rpm
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 19GB 7200rpm
    Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-500
    Lite-On LTR 58215W 48x12x48 CR-RW
    Gainward GeForce FX 5200 128mb DDR DUAL HEAD
    Creative SB Live! Value

Windows XP Pro SP1
    --

I've been on to overclockers tech support line, but they've pretty much told me to talk to corsair.. which I have; Corsairs tech support is their forum.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

feck it tell overclockers you think the memory is duff and want a new one or a refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yep RMA it, he shouldn't have to put up with that much hassle with it

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

Sure.... a MATE!!
    *s*******

it is a mate for gods sake i have my own p4 system with 1 gig ram so i wouldn't be posting about an AMD based system. :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

heh, every time i see the title of this thread, i think "ahhh, i clicked on technology, not P.I.:confused: "

Advertisement